Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Aww man i feel bad for laine... theres any article about the fans going crazy for his first rush in preseason where he gets stripped of the puck before he gets a shot off... but the energy in the building!!! Cest quoi!!!

They are going to crucify him when he slumps in december
I wouldn’t be surprised if this season sours Laine’s desire to continue in the NHL. The rabid fan base and invasive media might wear him down.

Super happy he stayed out east.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Aww man i feel bad for laine... theres any article about the fans going crazy for his first rush in preseason where he gets stripped of the puck before he gets a shot off... but the energy in the building!!! Cest quoi!!!

They are going to crucify him when he slumps in december
I think that Habs fans and media only crucify players when the expectations are high. Right now the Canadiens are turning the hump from the abyss towards contention, and if Laine helps in that regard, becomes a 30 goal scorer again, he'll experience the good side of playing in Montreal, where you become a legend playing in a legendary hockey city.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Seems like a good many Pens fans expect McGroarty to start in the AHL. Consensus seems he's been just ok in the preseason.
giphy.webp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Doesn't look good for Doughty

As I said in the post on the main boards, I wonder if we get to a point where the stars just say f*** it to preseason and sit the whole thing out like what we see in the CFL and NFL. It really doesn't seem worth the injury risk. These guys can shake the rust off pretty quickly.

Reactions: Buffdog and Jets 31

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As I said in the post on the main boards, I wonder if we get to a point where the stars just say f*** it to preseason and sit the whole thing out like what we see in the CFL and NFL. It really doesn't seem worth the injury risk. These guys can shake the rust off pretty quickly.
I think there is an adjustment period to playing at the NHL pace. These guys come in well conditioned but there is nothing like being out on the ice playing together to find that rythym. I think you could probably shorten preseason by a week. Play 3 games a week instead of 2, but the NFL still goes through the motions, to get into game shape, and to work on systems, with the stars playing minimally. I think the NHL is no different. Doughty's a battler, always has been. Unfortunate injury, but 2 of the 3 teams (Vegas, Edm, L.A) in the West I dislike the most are starting with some holes on defense so that's an interesting dynamic to watch over the season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Do you think being in pre-season was a causative factor in that injury? Would it somehow be more acceptable if it happened in the first regular season game? They're playing hockey. Injuries can happen while playing hockey. Hell, they can happen during a practice. You never know who, where or when but at some point a player will attract the undivided attention of the injury gods and boom, down they go.

Now, for the time being those gods seem to be content smiting our football players, but once the Bombers season ends, better hope they don't decide to head downtown for their fun and games. :nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you think being in pre-season was a causative factor in that injury? Would it somehow be more acceptable if it happened in the first regular season game? They're playing hockey. Injuries can happen while playing hockey. Hell, they can happen during a practice. You never know who, where or when but at some point a player will attract the undivided attention of the injury gods and boom, down they go.

Now, for the time being those gods seem to be content smiting our football players, but once the Bombers season ends, better hope they don't decide to head downtown for their fun and games. :nod:

It's more so that it happened in a game that means nothing.

How much does preseason actually help these athletes get ready vs the risk that injury could occur.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Doughty was merely thinking what we all think 24/7: "F*** Vegas!" Perfectly understandable that he'd be defending to the max against the Kuhniggits even in an exhibition game.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just me... I would like to see no preseason games, practice / training camp for a couple of weeks, then start the season.

IMO the only people that want these pre-season games are the owners to milk a few more dollars out of the masses. I've said before, don't even put the games in my package, and charge me the extra couple of bucks to make up for it if you must.

The players all come to camp in shape so they are ready to go. The argument that you need these games to get up to speed, I don't buy it. Almost all of the players that know they are on teams just go thru the motions anyways, so even though it's a "game", it's still not close to NHL speed or intensity.

And let's say the Jets come out and stink in Game #1 of the season and lose... then what exactly did beating the Oiler last night mean... nothing. Unless your full season roster is playing the other teams full roster , it's just a waste of time.

The preseason games do nothing and mean nothing. I was at the game, but only because I couldn't give the tickets away.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just me... I would like to see no preseason games, practice / training camp for a couple of weeks, then start the season.

IMO the only people that want these pre-season games are the owners to milk a few more dollars out of the masses. I've said before, don't even put the games in my package, and charge me the extra couple of bucks to make up for it if you must.

The players all come to camp in shape so they are ready to go. The argument that you need these games to get up to speed, I don't buy it. Almost all of the players that know they are on teams just go thru the motions anyways, so even though it's a "game", it's still not close to NHL speed or intensity.

And let's say the Jets come out and stink in Game #1 of the season and lose... then what exactly did beating the Oiler last night mean... nothing. Unless your full season roster is playing the other teams full roster , it's just a waste of time.

The preseason games do nothing and mean nothing. I was at the game, but only because I couldn't give the tickets away.

Exactly, I'd rather they expand the regular season if they must have these extra games, or work a play in format for the last few slots ala Baketball.

The risk of lossing a star player is just not worth it.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I don't think the preseason games mean "nothing", but I also don't think you need 7

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Perhaps, but I think they do provide each team with a chance to try their new kids out against real NHL players. Throw them out against a few pros and look at the film later to confirm how they may or may not react.

I think Edmonton got quite a benefit out of the "nothing" game last night and will review various video clips before finalizing their opinions of the new kids.

Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OT - but I don't see a better thread for it.

When Capfriendly went silent a while back someone here (@KingBogo ?) suggested CapWages.com. I've been using it most of the time ever since. It has some faults but keeps getting better. I find the layout and navigation more intuitive than Puckpedia (which also still has faults). It is somewhat similar to CF in look and feel.

I thought it deserves another mention here as a viable alternative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad