GDT: Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
If Tlusty has a concussion that prevents him starting the season, I'll bet some of you will sing a different song. Shouldn't happen in training camp ... I've read all your arguments above; I don't agree. If an opponent from the Caps or the Pens does that to Tlusty in a game, that's one thing. If one of the wannabes in camp gets too enthusiastic, that's another. I don't think Muller will like it either, really, if Tlusty has a serious injury.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
If Tlusty has a concussion that prevents him starting the season, I'll bet some of you will sing a different song. Shouldn't happen in training camp ... I've read all your arguments above; I don't agree. If an opponent from the Caps or the Pens does that to Tlusty in a game, that's one thing. If one of the wannabes in camp gets too enthusiastic, that's another. I don't think Muller will like it either, really, if Tlusty has a serious injury.

You'd be betting wrong. Stuff happens in the heat of the moment when guys are battling hard to make impressions and earn a roster spot. You might not have noticed but there are quite a few guys competing for a just a few open roster spots. Playing tiddlywinks and having easy training camps hasn't gotten the team anywhere in the past few seasons.

I'd also like to know how Brendan Woods is all of a sudden a wannabe? You probably don't know much about Woods, like me earlier this summer, so I'll help you out. Brendan Woods was drafted in the 5th round in 2012 by the Carolina Hurricanes. He attended the University of Wisconsin, a legitimate NCAA Division 1 hockey program, where he played for 2 seasons. He left after his sophomore season to sign his professional contract with the Carolina Hurricanes. He played 2 games with the Charlotte Checkers last season. This summer he attended his first prospect camp and participated in his first Traverse City tournament. All of this info is available on the Hurricanes website and with a google search.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
I get so tired of people leaving their armpits unprotected. Sooner or later somebody always gets hurt... :shakehead

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 4m
Boychuk the offensive star of scrimmage today. Came to camp in top condition.

Boychuk 4 first line
Dalpe and Bowman scored goals yesterday. Where was Boychuk? Yeah, exactly. He was sleepwalking through practice yesterday, daydreaming about donuts, what BobHornets games he'll be able to catch when he's with the Checkers this year, and he supposedly smells because he doesn't shower after practice.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Well, you can think what you want all you want, but if you think Muller doesn't like the style of play that is occuring, even at the risk of injury, your wrong because his own words say otherwise. Right after the scrimmage:

“I’m very pleased. The competitive level was great,†Muller said.

“I thought he set the whole tempo of the practice with his hit,†Muller said. (referring to Jared Staal's hit)

And no complaints from the coach.

“Hey, camp’s started,†Muller said. “There are a lot of guys ready to go. There’s a fine line between respect and veterans and young guys and wherever you are on the totem pole. ... If I’m a player and I worked hard all summer and I trained in the gym and I know there’s a job opening right now, you’ve got to go out and show it. That’s where we’re at.

“We’re not a team that made the playoffs or the Stanley Cup finals last year. We don’t have our 20 set guys. We’re looking for guys who want to play a certain style and play hard and I thought the guys get the message and did it on the ice.â€

“We’re not letting up,†Muller said. “What we saw today, we want to see tomorrow. One good practice doesn’t make it for some guys. The carryover and the energy has to build right into tomorrow and the following day and right into the Red-White game.â€

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/13/3192014/canes-first-preseason-scrimmage.html#storylink=cpy

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
I read everything on the 'Canes that I can get my hands on so I'm familiar with all your info. When I said "wannabe", I mean "wannabe" a Hurricane this season.When our team is so shaky going into this new division anyway, and we're minus Pitkanen, how much sense does it make to have them knock each other senseless in training camp, and make things worse? Sure, let's have all the guys trying to make the team zero in on Skinner, the Staals, yadda yadda, and show us how tough they can be, and see how it all works out. I know what Muller is saying, but Muller could be wrong ... :shakehead

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I get so tired of people leaving their armpits unprotected. Sooner or later somebody always gets hurt... :shakehead

I saw the play, Boychuk went armpit first at Nash. It was brutal to watch. These guys need to start taking their pits more seriously. Wait... Pits? Pit....kanen? Perhaps there is something more sinister at foot.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Some might be singing a different song -- but you can put me squarely in Coach Muller's choir.

We've been *****ing about "team toughness" and "hard to play against" for, oh, ever. Literally the entire time I've been watching the Hurricanes play.

Know how you fix that? By encouraging players to play balls-to-the-wall hockey every minute of every shift, and to settle for nothing less, from training camp all the way through the playoffs.

Injuries are part of sports. That sucks. But I'm perfectly happy to sacrifice players, even star players, in the name of institutionalized toughness.

Looks like Young Mr. Boychuk, for one, might be starting to see the light.

--hank

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Color me skeptical of two Boychuk goals scored against Justin Peters. He was facing better than that every night in the AHL, where he has no problem, and he's not exactly facing an NHL defense either with all these tryouts and could be's on the roster. It is encouraging, but I wouldn't make too much out of it. Not saying anybody here is singing from the rafters, but it's an uphill climb for Mr. Boychuk considering his history of impressive camps turning into not-so-impressive regular seasons.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I bet you could find a "feisty first day of camp" article for every team in the league. Checking and fighting in camp is par for the course, but every year they hype it up. These guys are really trying super hard, so all us fans should get really excited!!!!!!!

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Color me skeptical of two Boychuk goals scored against Justin Peters. He was facing better than that every night in the AHL, where he has no problem, and he's not exactly facing an NHL defense either with all these tryouts and could be's on the roster. It is encouraging, but I wouldn't make too much out of it. Not saying anybody here is singing from the rafters, but it's an uphill climb for Mr. Boychuk considering his history of impressive camps turning into not-so-impressive regular seasons.

While I agree that we shouldn't get too excited quite yet, it's not like everyone else on his team WASN'T playing against Peters. Staal didn't score, Semin didn't score, it was Boychuk, and supposedly the 2nd goal was a thing of beauty. I know Staal and Semin's futures don't depend as much on the next couple of weeks as Boychuk's, but seeing him score has to be a good thing.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
With the possible lineup concoctions, this is a good year for any of the tweeners to step up. Even the 4th line looks like it could end up being fairly skilled if things play out certain ways. I don't care who makes the jump, I just want to see somebody grab a spot. If its Boychuk, so be it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I read everything on the 'Canes that I can get my hands on so I'm familiar with all your info.

If you are familiar with it, then why did you say "I don't think Muller will like it either", when that is clearly completely opposite of what Muller stated?

When I said "wannabe", I mean "wannabe" a Hurricane this season.When our team is so shaky going into this new division anyway, and we're minus Pitkanen, how much sense does it make to have them knock each other senseless in training camp, and make things worse?

Because if the guys can't handle a physical game even in training camp, then they won't last in this new division. Injuries are part of this game, whether it be training camp, pre-season, early season, mid-season, late in the season, playoffs. It's a physical game.

Sure, let's have all the guys trying to make the team zero in on Skinner, the Staals, yadda yadda, and show us how tough they can be, and see how it all works out. I know what Muller is saying, but Muller could be wrong ...:shakehead

I'll take the coaches word over yours on this. ;)

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
but it's an uphill climb for Mr. Boychuk considering his history of impressive camps turning into not-so-impressive regular seasons.

Actually, I don't think that Boychuk has had a history of impressive camps. He's been a bit disappointing in a few of them (except for maybe last year). Dalpe is a guy who has had impressive camps, made the team 2 times only to be less than impressive in the regular season and sent down.

I do agree it's an uphill battle for Boychuk though as he's not cut out for the 4th line and there are only a couple of spots in the top 9. With Dvorak, Gerbe, Lindholm and Dalpe (as well as Boychuk) all vying for just a couple spots, it's going to be tough.

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
If you are familiar with it, then why did you say "I don't think Muller will like it either", when that is clearly completely opposite of what Muller stated?

I was saying that I don't think Muller would like badly-injured players, when all is said and done, and I still say it. Will he really think feistiness in camp tops having healthy players to start the season? The team is shaky as it stands, without real depth; we don't need to beat ourselves up before the season even starts, and make it worse.

We'll see how good this coach and his methods are ... I hope it will be fun.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I bet you could find a "feisty first day of camp" article for every team in the league. Checking and fighting in camp is par for the course, but every year they hype it up. These guys are really trying super hard, so all us fans should get really excited!!!!!!!

Penguins camp:

Crosby lays a crushing hit on Adams.

Crosby while accepting a break out pass from Letang has his head down and gets rocked by 6'4" 235lbs. rookie defenseman Simon Depres. contact with his head. Crosby is shaken up and checked for concussion type symptoms. says Depres went easy on him and it was his fault. he's o.k..

Bylsma says it was a good play by Depres being "positioned well"...........

I'm sure top players have been seriously injured in hockey camps before. I don't remember one off the top of my head though.

Frank Booth239*

some might be singing a different song -- but you can put me squarely in coach muller's choir.

We've been *****ing about "team toughness" and "hard to play against" for, oh, ever. Literally the entire time i've been watching the hurricanes play.

Know how you fix that? By encouraging players to play balls-to-the-wall hockey every minute of every shift, and to settle for nothing less, from training camp all the way through the playoffs.

Injuries are part of sports. That sucks. But i'm perfectly happy to sacrifice players, even star players, in the name of institutionalized toughness.

--hank

x1000

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

I was saying that I don't think Muller would like badly-injured players, when all is said and done, and I still say it. Will he really think feistiness in camp tops having healthy players to start the season? The team is shaky as it stands, without real depth; we don't need to beat ourselves up before the season even starts, and make it worse.

We'll see how good this coach and his methods are ... I hope it will be fun.

WB......I get what you're feeling but like has been said, there is a safety factor built in. noone will stand for cheap shots and noone is intentionally gunning for anyone. if a player is particularly vulnurable I'm sure the guy laying the hit will ease up somewhat. they want to leave a good impression not concuss Skinner. you can bet that while it may not be said, they know fully well that if they seriously injure a star player the impression left won't be so positive, particularly with the guy cutting the pay checks.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hybrid icing is weird and I don't like it.

(Not really sure where to put that, because the On Topic Thread kind of went away, but I felt like it needed to be said.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad