News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
When Khaira played centre last year I didn't think he was all that great (could have been due to linemates). The real question is could Strome even fetch a return that would make it worth while to trade him?

This is what Im wondering as well. Is there a trade out there for a minute munching dman who we could send Strome+Benning out for?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think it would be silly to break up that 3rd line.

Khaira is much better at wing, IMO, and he, Strome and Pulju look really solid together.

I just find it interesting that Stromes out and Khaira is centering the line now. It's probably nothing, but still you have to wonder.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Looks fine until a centre gets hurt and Caggiula is 3C

The Oilers had a rookie Caggiula at 3C and then Desharnais after the deadline during their 100+ point season. I'm not advocating trading Strome right now, but there is tremendous roster flexibility to do a number of things because of the emergence of some younger players. If the right trade comes up we have a variety of forwards that could be parted with. I also wonder if Koskinen would rather mutually terminate his contract than be sent to Bakersfield. That could open up some more cap too.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Stauffer alluding to the fact that Gryba was bought out because he was distinctly not happy being sent to Bakersfield last year. Uses Garisson as a guy who went to the minors and worked with the kids with no quibbles. So there is the Gryba buyout reasoning.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Interesting that Stauffer just alluded to Gryba being pissy and negative that he got sent down last year while Garrison accepted his role, became a leader in the AHL, worked with Vegas’ young defencemen and was a positive influence.

Maybe a window into the buyout logic.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It would appear as such. I think Lucic will have a bit of a bounce back year this year, but I don't think he's good enough for a top-6 role though either. It's a tough spot, with him sucking up $6 million in cap space. Too early to buy him out, and too expensive for trading him away. After this year, with 4 years left on the contract, and hopefully Yamo/Pulj improving, maybe we'd be willing to sweeten a deal enough to off-load him. We'd likely have to include a pretty decent prospect or 2nd rounder to dump him though, even after this year.

He's a sunk costs at this point. We'll just have to see how long coaching staff keeps feeding him the top linemates when actual standing points are on the line. Hopefully they learned a lesson from last year.

We basically just need to hope against common-sense that he will find a different gear, or at least become useful on the PP again (which is the more likely scenario, as his EV play requires speed, which he doesn't have).

Except outside of 16/17 he's never been a great PP performer. So yeah, I'm skeptical we see him get back close to 50 points again.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Interesting that Stauffer just alluded to Gryba being pissy and negative that he got sent down last year while Garrison accepted his role and became a leader in the AHL and worked with Vegas’ young defencemen and was a positive influence.

Maybe a window into the buyout logic.

So tell him to stay home if it's an issue. Why do the guy a favour?

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I could see Khaira and Rieder swapping between the 3rd and 4th line depending on who is playing hot.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Buying him out also opened up a contract spot. I would have preferred if they had just traded him to the Devils for futures though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's a sunk costs at this point. We'll just have to see how long coaching staff keeps feeding him the top linemates when actual standing points are on the line. Hopefully they learned a lesson from last year.

Except outside of 16/17 he's never been a great PP performer. So yeah, I'm skeptical we see him get back close to 50 points again.
From the lines in practice seems like the staff is willing to play younger guys over vets if they are outplaying.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Oilers had a rookie Caggiula at 3C and then Desharnais after the deadline during their 100+ point season. I'm not advocating trading Strome right now, but there is tremendous roster flexibility to do a number of things because of the emergence of some younger players. If the right trade comes up we have a variety of forwards that could be parted with. I also wonder if Koskinen would rather mutually terminate his contract than be sent to Bakersfield. That could open up some more cap too.
We also had a 50 point Lucic, 50 point Eberle, 27g Maroon and a 35 point Letustu.

This team has how many top 9 wingers that they know what they are going to bring night in and night out? One in RNH

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No idea. Probably not wanting to kill a guy’s career with a baby on the way.

A ‘refusal to report’ or a ‘material breach’ is a death sentence.

Not saying I agree with it but...

Going against the best interests of the team to help a guy who is being unprofessional seems wrong headed.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm surprised (as most are here)... that Gravel is on waivers but odds of him being picked up are pretty low as there are plenty of fringe dmen going down on waivers at this time of year.

I do think that on merit though he should likely still be in camp... but maybe the $1 million 1 way deal Jerabek has does trump the $700,000 2 way deal of Gravel in terms of burying that in the AHL... ie they don't want to bury $1 million in the AHL quite yet without seeing Jerabek play a few more games at least.

Upshall gone is a bit surprising as well as I thought he'd be the Hendricks PK/vet replacement but I assume his injury issues were bigger than first thought... or at least too much of an issue to choose him over healthier options in camp such as Chiasson.

Too bad because I think Upshall would have been a good fit.

Call up Hartnell quick. :) Also I'd have a lot of time for Winnik if Boston dumps him from his PTO.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Going against the best interests of the team to help a guy who is being unprofessional seems wrong headed.
The whole thing stinks of bizarre management. They could have also just lent him to a different AHL team like they did with Fayne last season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The whole thing stinks of bizarre management. They could have also just lent him to a different AHL team like they did with Fayne last season.

Or Souray a few years back. Lots of options besides "Oh, you don't like it? Let us bend over backwards to help you even while screwing with our own cap situation."

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad