News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed it’s very akin to the Duncan Keith thing they want another proven leader.

They might even want Perry more, he seems like he's pretty vocal and will tear a strip off anyone, probably JJ was told straight up by Connor/Leon or Connor himself to bring him back. Keith was a leader too but I think he's one of those more silent leader types.

Watching him chew out Kane even I was like "whoa, calm down buddy".

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I honestly don't give a shit about how a coach sounds in pressers. Daryl Sutter sounds like a caveman.

Even with Knoblaugh, he was so soft spoken in his first pressers here I initially thought "man this guy is too nice, he might be in trouble in the big leagues".

It's all about your systems and what you let slide as a coach and what you don't let slide. And how you can build players up but also hold them accountable.
I honestly even find it somewhat encouraging when a coach isn't the best or most charismatic speaker.

It shows they got to where they are thanks to their results rather than some snake oil they hustled.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It baffles me that he hasn’t been given a shot as a head coach while Eakins will probably get a third opportunity.

But Eakins is the “cooler”. You hire him when you enter full tank mode to get that top draft pick.

IMG_6862.jpeg

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It baffles me that he hasn’t been given a shot as a head coach while Eakins will probably get a third opportunity.
you gotta sell yourself and Eakins was a great salesman...managed to fool 2 organizations with his big promises that eventually fell flat

Nelson probably doesn't sell himself well enough

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The biggest snake oil salesman ever had to be Ralph Krueger though.

Krueger was just fine. He only played the west that year and had an above 500 record just missing the playoffs. He and Nelson were the only coaches that were able to show any success regarding Yakupov. It’s not his fault he never got a full season and was fired by MacT over skype in favor of Dallas Dolphin boy Eakins

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Krueger was just fine. He only played the west that year and had an above 500 record just missing the playoffs. He and Nelson were the only coaches that were able to show any success regarding Yakupov. It’s not his fault he never got a full season and was fired by MacT over skype in favor of Dallas Dolphin boy Eakins
Krueger sucked and still sucks

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Krueger has the infamous moniker of being head coach in not only one, but TWO decades of darkness between here and Buffalo. I think his record speaks for itself.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

He wasn’t fine in Buffalo or here.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I just don’t like both of them on the same line personally. And honestly I would like someone a bit quicker as the 4C

I think Hamlbin will push himself into that role. He's the only 4C candidate that can actually skate, and I thought he was best out of anyone that played that role last season even though it was only for something like 15 games.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I like a lot except that 4th line. Holy hell. That better not be what it lands as.

I would tend to want to balance it a little more, pull Skinner and RNH to make a third line that can hunt. McDavid + Hyman will hunt guaranteed. Draisaitl + Arvidsson is a pretty damn good bet.

One of Podkolsin / Savoie / Jarventie / Lavoie / Petrov - McDavid - Hyman
[One of...] - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Skinner - RNH - Perry / Ryan
Janmark - Henrique - Brown

Let's you roll 4 lines and wear teams down. Then you can shorten the bench to finish games - either reading the big guns, or to the original lineup without that fourth line when the time calls for it.

Again when you look at the lineup like that... Makes you really question what kind of rocks are in a guy like Holloway's head. 😂 Man he'd have a great opportunity if he just shut up and signed his fair market deal that most of his comparables signed this off season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I would tend to want to balance it a little more, pull Skinner and RNH to make a third line that can hunt. McDavid + Hyman will hunt guaranteed. Draisaitl + Arvidsson is a pretty damn good bet.

One of Podkolsin / Savoie / Jarventie / Lavoie / Petrov - McDavid - Hyman
[One of...] - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Skinner - RNH - Perry / Ryan
Janmark - Henrique - Brown

Let's you roll 4 lines and wear teams down. Then you can shorten the bench to finish games - either reading the big guns, or to the original lineup without that fourth line when the time calls for it.

Again when you look at the lineup like that... Makes you really question what kind of rocks are in a guy like Holloway's head. 😂 Man he'd have a great opportunity if he just shut up and signed his fair market deal that most of his comparables signed this off season.
I've always been a fan of two studs on a line and a third so I'm kind of into those possibilities as well.

Needs to be remembered as well that Henrique could be wasted with Brown and Janmark. Sure the latter showed up at times in playoffs but I wouldn't count on it in regular season.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Even if he only plays 19 games Perry brings leadership and experience which translates to a great veteran presence and voice in the locker room. He can hold players accountable and doesn’t necessarily need to be coached. He’s a guy that has won it all and on his affordable contract is worth every penny. Sure he’s lost a step but the skills and knowledge are all still there.
I dont buy the experience bit. This team has played the second most amount of playoff games (behind Florida) the past 3 seasons. They went to game 7 of the finals. This team is experienced. I also think the coach and players around can hold others accountable. We have seen Drai yelling at Kane on the bench, mentoring young guys. We have seen McDavid yelling at JP on the bench also.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I've always been a fan of two studs on a line and a third so I'm kind of into those possibilities as well.

Needs to be remembered as well that Henrique could be wasted with Brown and Janmark. Sure the latter showed up at times in playoffs but I wouldn't count on it in regular season.

Yeah that's a fair point regarding Henrique, tbh.

And also depending on the Kane injury timeline, we likely get him back for the playoffs, which will be huge.

Potentially him and another 5.5 million AAV worth of LTIR abuse replacements from the deadline.

So I mean - maybe going into the playoffs we're talking about adding a Kane, and a defenseman like say a Zub;

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Kane - Henrique - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Zub
Kulak - Emberson / Stecher / Brown

That's not too bad.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I dont buy the experience bit. This team has played the second most amount of playoff games (behind Florida) the past 3 seasons. They went to game 7 of the finals. This team is experienced. I also think the coach and players around can hold others accountable. We have seen Drai yelling at Kane on the bench, mentoring young guys. We have seen McDavid yelling at JP on the bench also.
Theres no legit reason for Perry to be here at all. Any notion that he's here just to be the experience guy is kind of silly. Others have suggested he's here as some type of leader. I don't see that either and his tantrums towards Kane were ridiculous. Perry should only be upset about how he's generally become an awful player and cratered his career in Chicago. Why do we even have him and continue to have him?

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
The saddest thing is that MacT said he had a very impressive interview with Jon Cooper before hiring Eakins.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Theres no legit reason for Perry to be here at all. Any notion that he's here just to be the experience guy is kind of silly. Others have suggested he's here as some type of leader. I don't see that either and his tantrums towards Kane were ridiculous. Perry should only be upset about how he's generally become an awful player and cratered his career in Chicago. Why do we even have him and continue to have him?
Do you remember FOG? This is FOC.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I disagree. Probably not out of camp but he'll be a callup option this season.
Look at how long Brown took to get back into things and he was a legit NHL player.
Going from decent AHL player to retired to NHL player would be insane. He has to catch up, get up to speed and improve in a few months to accomplish that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Look at how long Brown took to get back into things and he was a legit NHL player.
Going from decent AHL player to retired to NHL player would be insane. He has to catch up, get up to speed and improve in a few months to accomplish that.
That was injury related. Philp is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad