Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Been hearing a lot of the “defence was better than the offence today” takes after practices.

I really hope this Is because we have a great defence, and not that we are in for a rude awakening with the offence this season.
I have heard that the offense got the better of the defense more days than not so far this training camp.

Plenty of people covering camp have talked about this being the best that Josh Allen has looked and that the WRs are developing chemistry quicker with Allen than many expected.

:dunno:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I have heard that the offense got the better of the defense more days than not so far this training camp.

Plenty of people covering camp have talked about this being the best that Josh Allen has looked and that the WRs are developing chemistry quicker with Allen than many expected.

:dunno:
Yep that's the impression I've got too. The defense won the B&R practice but before that point the offense had definitely had the upper hand.

I haven't caught up really from the practices afterwards, maybe the D's continued to turn the tide?

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Another note on offense vs. defense regarding training camp - remember Josh can't do all the things he can do in the regular season in camp. They're not trying to tackle him and so his strength and difficulty to bring down doesn't come into play. He gets tagged and he's sacked and it's a win for the defense and everyone moves on. We all know Allen turns a number of those plays into miracle positives.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Another thing to take into account is repetition. Every player has tells, how their stance changes, how they move in and out of cuts or fake it. Seeing the same actions daily gets embedded in your thinking which allows the defender to anticipate the play with better odds. That's why film study is so important and in-game adjustments to counter that. The smartest player I ever saw at that was Rod Woodson, his mind was like a super computer. He wasn't as physically gifted as Chris Dishman but there's a reason why he was on the NFL 75th anniversary team

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Nice to see they practiced in the heavy rain...get used to real conditions...I wasn't aware that they did this.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Looks like Aiyuk could finally be moving soon.
Browns and Pats have the base framework deal in place now apparently and its up to Aiyuk to pick. Steelers have not offered as much. Cooper(Cle) or Bourne(NE) would go to SF as part of the deal. Hate to see another weapon come to the AFC.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Another thing to take into account is repetition. Every player has tells, how their stance changes, how they move in and out of cuts or fake it. Seeing the same actions daily gets embedded in your thinking which allows the defender to anticipate the play with better odds. That's why film study is so important and in-game adjustments to counter that. The smartest player I ever saw at that was Rod Woodson, his mind was like a super computer. He wasn't as physically gifted as Chris Dishman but there's a reason why he was on the NFL 75th anniversary team
That is definitely a thing, but it can go both ways.

My son has a lefty shooting teammate that plays attack. His go to catch and shoot move is to go low to low to the bottom left corner. My son knows this, so he immediately goes down to cover that shot when his teammate gets a catch and shoot chance and he makes more than his fair share of saves because he knows what he is likely to do. It ticks his teammate off, too.

But, his teammate needs to learn to not rely on just one shot. If he started shooting high regularly and scoring, then Nate won't be able to cheat towards the low far corner.

It's why the best EDGE rushers have more than just move to beat a tackle. Or how the best CBs can play press and off. Or how the best WRs have a wide variety of releases off the line.

Gotta keep them guessing.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Browns and Pats have the base framework deal in place now apparently and its up to Aiyik to pick. Steelers have not offered as much. Cooper(Cle) or Bourne(NE) would go to SF as part of the deal. Hate to see another weapon come to the AFC.
Aiyuk can go to the Pats, I have zero issue with that. Even if Maye becomes a legit QB in the league, it won't be for a couple years. And if Cleveland has to trade Cooper for Aiyuk, they're just shifting weapons....not adding one. I was a little worried if Aiyuk was going to Pittsburgh, especially if Pickens wasn't going the other way. Pickens/Aiyuk/Friermuth would be a nice skill trio for Wilson/Fields to work with.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Aiyuk can go to the Pats, I have zero issue with that. Even if Maye becomes a legit QB in the league, it won't be for a couple years. And if Cleveland has to trade Cooper for Aiyuk, they're just shifting weapons....not adding one. I was a little worried if Aiyuk was going to Pittsburgh, especially if Pickens wasn't going the other way. Pickens/Aiyuk/Friermuth would be a nice skill trio for Wilson/Fields to work with.
I'm looking forward to Aiyuk becoming another in a long line of WRs who bitch and moan out of a nice fit only to get perturbed when their new team plays 5-6 weeks in lousy elements and they don't get as many touches, as a result.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm looking forward to Aiyuk becoming another in a long line of WRs who bitch and moan out of a nice fit only to get perturbed when their new team plays 5-6 weeks in lousy elements and they don't get as many touches, as a result.
It’s hard to imagine him getting less targets, since he’s in a crowded offense that runs the ball at a top 3 rate.

I continue to think this board is severely undervaluing Aiyuk’s talent. He’s a top 5 young receiver in the league and probably soon to be second highest paid. If the Patriots acquire him, it’s like the Bills trading for Diggs, only Aiyuk right now >>>>> Diggs when we traded for him. Hopefully he goes to Cleveland.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It’s hard to imagine him getting less targets, since he’s in a crowded offense that runs the ball at a top 3 rate.

I continue to think this board is severely undervaluing Aiyuk’s talent. He’s a top 5 young receiver in the league and probably soon to be second highest paid. If the Patriots acquire him, it’s like the Bills trading for Diggs, only Aiyuk right now >>>>> Diggs when we traded for him. Hopefully he goes to Cleveland.

Fair points. I guess being a true no. 1 makes up for the inclement weather he may get in either of the potential markets.

I'm not well-versed in Aiyuk's value but he's much more valuable than Diggs was in 2020? Diggs was a 27-year-old with 5 years of good-to-very good play. Aiyuk is going into his 26-year-old season with 4 years of good-to-great play. They both had very good playoff resumes already. Physically, Aiyuk is a little bit bulkier but they're the same height and Diggs is probably a hair quicker.

I don't know all of the things that Aiyuk brings to the table admittedly, though. I just was surprised to hear he had that much value.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Thanks! Still learning the game. I feel like our defense won’t be as good this year, is that the case or am I out to lunch?
I'm still a noob but my hope is that the defense will be better towards the end of the season.
All those injuries were a result of having an older team. If we have more of our starters fresh in the playoffs I think we might be better even though it looks worse on paper.

There's so much weird shit happening around the Bills as well. The heat stroke game away against Miami was insane, no idea how it was allowed. Exerting yourself in that kind of heat means 3-4 weeks to fully recover.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Amen.

Just need one to break the proverbial piñata. Kick off the party that's been on hold for 30+ years and see how many he and Beane can collect in the years to follow.

30? This city, and the surrounding neighborhoods have been getting their nuts kicked in for the better part of a half-century. I'm not going to get into the specifics, because this isn't the thread for it. But God damn... the only thing keeping the good people of Western New York from going full Jonestown is the hope of a Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad