Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Yeah total long shot. My original post was really to figure on who might get him (not us). There's actually a decent amount of teams that could fit him under the cap, adding in who wants to 'win now'. Maybe the Lions, Jags or Eagles?

Ironically, Spotrac shows the Niners as having the space, but I guess they need to look at future years with Purdy and Deebo raises needed eventually.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I didn't respect Brandon Aiyuk until I saw his statline for last season. Not bad.

Not good enough for top-5 WR money, but he's definitely a No.1 and at 25 years of age. Not unlike prime Diggs.

Still, I think I'd prefer Beane invest a 2nd or 3rd in a WR every single yea now that we don't need to worry about finding QB1.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I didn't respect Brandon Aiyuk until I saw his statline for last season. Not bad.

Not good enough for top-5 WR money, but he's definitely a No.1 and at 25 years of age. Not unlike prime Diggs.

Still, I think I'd prefer Beane invest a 2nd or 3rd in a WR every single yea now that we don't need to worry about finding QB1.
It's especially incredible when you consider he's in the most run-heavy offense in the league, has Mr. Irrelevant throwing to him, and there's plenty of mouths to feed. He's also running the true X routes, not the gadget stuff like Deebo.

There's not many WRs I'd pay top of market money for. He's one of the few.

That said, given the cap situation of the team, it's hard to imagine the Bills making this kind of move.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Option 1: Do nothing and wait for Aiyuk to blink​

Aiyuk is already under contract for the 2024 season at $14.1 million. Considering Aiyuk was one of the most efficient receivers in football last season — he led the NFL with 17.9 yards per reception — that’s a very favorable rate for the 49ers in a market where the top wideouts are now making over $30 million annually.

Aiyuk’s exact demands aren’t publicly known, although it has been reported the 49ers’ offer hovers at around $26 million per year. The team can stand pat and wait for Aiyuk to lower his asking price. Think of this as a game of chicken — with the 49ers driving a semitruck. Because Aiyuk is already under contract, they have the high ground here.

If a new deal worth $26M per year isn't enough to stick with a team that played in the SB last year...

Hard pass for me.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Now wait a sec.

What's the cause and what's the effect here? I don't think the Chiefs have a history of signing criminals.......I think that players become criminals once they sign with KC.........
Frank Clark, Kareem Hunt off the top of my head.. oh Punt god

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
What do the rookies even do reporting to camp a week early anyway? Orientation stuff? There's probably not enough of them to do anything meaningful on the field.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
What do the rookies even do reporting to camp a week early anyway? Orientation stuff? There's probably not enough of them to do anything meaningful on the field.
The mental side is a beast. The preparation for a pro schedule is a beast. They get a week's head start to show they know what's in the playbook at speed on the field, and then how to use the whole day as a pro (recovery, food, study, rest, etc).

It's a huge jump from college to pros in this regard. And the last thing the coaches want is the whole team slowed by the rookies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why would a $30 million dollar+ player take 13% less than what he's worth? The ARSB (30 million) and AJ Brown (32 million) contracts are easy benchmarks for him. He does himself and his peers a major disservice to take anything less.
To stay with a team that played in the SB last year...

If he wants to secure the bag more than play on a SB contender, that's perfectly fine. I just think that means he is not a fit with the Bills.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This is a good conversation about Aiyuk and the Bills cap situation.

One issue that not a lot of people have talked about are how the moves the Bills have made later in this offseason have put them $15M over the 2025 cap. That is better than where they started this offseason. But, they are not in great shape cap-wise.

And that's just part of being in the big money Josh Allen era (his 2025 cap hit is $60M today) and the big swing on Von Miller (his 2025 cap hit is $23.9M & it's $15.4M in dead cap to cut him).

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
To stay with a team that played in the SB last year...

If he wants to secure the bag more than play on a SB contender, that's perfectly fine. I just think that means he is not a fit with the Bills.
I think that's the case for 95%+ of players, including most of the ones on the Bills. Allen's contract looks good now, but there was no discount when he signed it.

This is a good conversation about Aiyuk and the Bills cap situation.

One issue that not a lot of people have talked about are how the moves the Bills have made later in this offseason have put them $15M over the 2025 cap. That is better than where they started this offseason. But, they are not in great shape cap-wise.

And that's just part of being in the big money Josh Allen era (his 2025 cap hit is $60M today) and the big swing on Von Miller (his 2025 cap hit is $23.9M & it's $15.4M in dead cap to cut him).

Yeah they're in fine but not spectacular cap shape. They've also already restructured Allen's 2025 deal, so the savings of doing so again are minimal. The one big savings will be cutting Von, which will get them to about even, then things like restructuring or extending Allen, Dawkins, Oliver, and Knox will be where they can open up some room.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After spending a massive amount to get rid of a receiver that didn't want to be here....I don't want anything to do with Aiyuk. His family/friends were talking shit about SF within days of the superbowl loss. After dealing with all the Diggs drama for 2 years, give me some peace and quiet. All i want to hear about are W's

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah they're in fine but not spectacular cap shape. They've also already restructured Allen's 2025 deal, so the savings of doing so again are minimal. The one big savings will be cutting Von, which will get them to about even, then things like restructuring or extending Allen, Dawkins, Oliver, and Knox will be where they can open up some room.
Allen has $14M in base salary and a $25M roster bonus next year as a part of that $60M cap hit. The Bills can bring that cap number down significantly.

And they do not save that much by cutting Von Miller pre-6/1 next year. His 2025 cap hit is $23,874,000 and the dead cap to cut him is $15,417,000. So, they save $8.4M by cutting him.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Allen has $14M in base salary and a $25M roster bonus next year as a part of that $60M cap hit. The Bills can bring that cap number down significantly.

And they do not save that much by cutting Von Miller pre-6/1 next year. His 2025 cap hit is $23,874,000 and the dead cap to cut him is $15,417,000. So, they save $8.4M by cutting him.
They already converted his roster bonus. His 2025 cap hit is currently 14 in base, 20 in signing, 8.5 in option, and .5 in workout for a $43 million cap hit. FWIW OTC, which has these numbers, has the Bills only 3.7 million over the 2025 cap.

I assume Von will be a post june 1 designee, for 17 million in 2025 savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium