Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Cover1 said Coleman might be the best blocking WR in the draft. He likes to do it too - even when the run isn't to his side he'll pancake guys.
I would argue that Polk is the top blocking WR in this class - but Coleman is certainly above average. It also goes back to the point that - aside from Samuel - they seem to be solely targeting bigger bodied players.

Reactions: VaporTrail

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Nice. Having Coleman + MVS on the outside with Kincaid and Knox on the field is going to be a PITA for teams to deal with when we run the rock. Hopefully, the interior of the O line can bully teams. If that happens, then watch out. The potential with this offense is scary with Brady at the helm (assuming he continues progressing). I really like the blend of our WR core.

It will be interesting. I really don't think teams are equipped to deal with that style of offense anymore. Figure in Josh Allen's arm, and opposing coordinators could be faced with a real problem.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I completely forgot about Hollins. Given his ST capabilities, I'd move him into "lock" status alongside Coleman, Shakir, Samuel and MVS.

Claypool/Shorter/Hamler/Isabella all seem to be competing for that 6th and probably final WR spot.
I think Shavers is in that competition as well. I don't expect him to win it, but I do expect he'll get a pretty solid look at that spot along with Claypool/Shorter/Hamler/Isabella.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Before the criticism of what I am going to write below, let it be known that I expect many of these slots to already be filled and ultimately just want the best group of receivers to help us win a Super Bowl.

That being said, for the present and future I think there are merits to wanting the following results:

Shorter to beat out Hollins for that big, blocking WR and special teams ace role. He could have a much higher ceiling at his age that Hollins has likely maximized his ability.

Claypool to beat out MVS for that tall, speedy deep threat role. MVS’s age and drop history could be replaced with a young, former early round draft pick with loads of untapped potential.

Hamler makes the team in the role we hoped Isabella would have been able to excel in last year as super fast slot and return ace. I re-watched some film from Hamler in Denver and Penn State and man would it be amazing for him to get back to that potential for the Bills. He can play inside and outside with skill, speed and tenacity.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Before the criticism of what I am going to write below, let it be known that I expect many of these slots to already be filled and ultimately just want the best group of receivers to help us win a Super Bowl.

That being said, for the present and future I think there are merits to wanting the following results:

Shorter to beat out Hollins for that big, blocking WR and special teams ace role. He could have a much higher ceiling at his age that Hollins has likely maximized his ability.

Claypool to beat out MVS for that tall, speedy deep threat role. MVS’s age and drop history could be replaced with a young, former early round draft pick with loads of untapped potential.

Hamler makes the team in the role we hoped Isabella would have been able to excel in last year as super fast slot and return ace. I re-watched some film from Hamler in Denver and Penn State and man would it be amazing for him to get back to that potential for the Bills. He can play inside and outside with skill, speed and tenacity.
well I don't think there's a chance in hell those first 2 things happen. Hollins is a dog who was targeted for that role, you don't lose Davis/Sherf as your top blocking WR's and replace them with a complete unknown who hasn't sniffed game action. I think you can stash Shorter if he doesn't make the team, every team has multiple Shorters sitting around, none of us have a clue to what he even is really.

add in another big question mark in Claypool...I guess he could impress and actually make the team, but I don't think MVS is in any danger really.

Just seems like a couple of REALLY big leaps of faith.

Hamler is intriguing, I'll give him that, but could be another PS stash potentially.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think that McDermott may carry 7 receivers. Samuel and Shakir will be the starters, with Coleman working in significantly, especially if Brady goes with more 11 personnel.

MVS will be the deep threat and may break into that top 3.

Hollins will be a special teamer and can block.

Shorter can contribute on special teams while he waits his turn.

That's the six receivers I think make the roster.

If Claypool figures it out, I think he starts out as a red zone threat and eventually works in.

Overall, it's going to be receiver by committee. I'm all for that approach.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If Claypool has a great camp, I won't be surprised to see the Bills keep 7 receivers: Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, Hollins, MVS, Shorter, and Claypool.
Has it ever happened in the McBeane era though? Aside from the odd practice squad call up to cover injuries I'm going to say it hasn't. Also consider the returner is a DB. I'd suggest five is more likely than seven.

Carrying so many WRs makes absolutely no sense when you account for Kincaid/Knox both being on the field a lot together, account for the run game being a bigger component of Brady's playbook, etc.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Lots of Bills fans hated the move at the time too
Kiko had a few big time splash plays his rookie year if I remember correctly, so many believed he was going to be a very good LB for a long time. He turned out to be one of the dirtier players in the league. Pretty sure he came flying in like a piss missile leading with his helmet against Allen when he played for MIA. He's a trash ass/ dirty ass player in my book.

McCoy turned out to be a gem on and off the field (from what we saw, anyways), so yeah- definitely one of the better trades!

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Has it ever happened in the McBeane era though? Aside from the odd practice squad call up to cover injuries I'm going to say it hasn't. Also consider the returner is a DB. I'd suggest five is more likely than seven.

Carrying so many WRs makes absolutely no sense when you account for Kincaid/Knox both being on the field a lot together, account for the run game being a bigger component of Brady's playbook, etc.
Maybe. Depends on who the DBs are. Also, I wouldn't count on McDermott and Beane doing the same thing. I can't imagine them cutting Shorter after going to great lengths to keep him last year. They probably see something in him.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Claypool fully commits to being effective on special teams and brings more of the ability as a receiver that he showed early on in his career, I could see him knocking Shorter off the roster as the 6th WR. Feels like the other 5 of Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, MVS, and Hollins are pretty set

Reactions: HOOats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Claypool fully commits to being effective on special teams and brings more of the ability as a receiver that he showed early on in his career, I could see him knocking Shorter off the roster as the 6th WR. Feels like the other 5 of Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, MVS, and Hollins are pretty set
They only kept 5 WRs last season (Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Harty, & Sherfield).

Claypool, Shorter, Shavers, Hamler, Isabella, and everyone else have their work cut out for them.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Maybe. Depends on who the DBs are. Also, I wouldn't count on McDermott and Beane doing the same thing. I can't imagine them cutting Shorter after going to great lengths to keep him last year. They probably see something in him.
I've been making the same point about Shorter all offseason. I think you have five locks with him being heavy favourite for the sixth spot if they carry that many. I'm almost certain they won't carry seven for reasons I've already posted.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I think some of the things you’re describing aren’t even competitions, given the guaranteed money at play. Absent atrocious camps, I see Hollins and MVS as locks to make the team. The competitions are:

-Shorter vs Shavers for a special teams receiver role
-Claypool, Isabella, and other players at different positions for the pack couple of spots on the team

Did they “go to great lengths” to keep him? Didn’t they just throw him on IR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad