Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I think it came down to purely being a returner..

Hardy was viewed as a db first
It's certainly possible that the Bills viewed Codrington as the superior returner and that's why they pulled the trigger, but Hardy's ability to play defensive back would in no way hurt him in the comparison. The more things you can do, the better. The Bills coaching staff preaches versatility literally all the time.

I also suspect Hardy's injury played into this - the Bills didn't really use anyone else at punt returns in the pre-season so if Hardy was missing time that's a huge hole to fill that the Bills apparently thought they needed to fill with someone that was healthy now. We'll see if Hardy clears waivers and ends up on the practice squad if he ends up getting back on the roster at some point when others are dinged up.

Reactions: Zman5778

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
All that aside... I like it just for the intel. It gives the Bills a first-hand account of the defensive playbook without doing anything illegal. One of the easiest ways to get a leg up on the other teams in the division.

The other way, which is also great, is picking up their disgruntled free agents. Particularly when it's an area of need. If the Bills didn't have Diggs' dead cap hit, or Von Miller's ghost tying up so much space, Christian Wilkins would have been a textbook example. (I feel like the Patriots did this to the Bills a number of times, over the years.)
I don't think the Bills would trade for a player just for Intel purposes. IMO, they see him as a viable option in the Punt Return and Kickoff Return aspects of the game. They must not have had enough trust in Hardy at this juncture.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Good get for backup QB insurance—he might be better than a healthy Trubisky, even—and intel on Miami
I want to say that the idea of getting 'intel' on other teams by making moves like this is overblown. There is so much player movement in the league that no one team really gets a huge net advantage from it.

That said i think White is a very solid backup QB who's likely better than Trubisky from day one.

I think it came down to purely being a returner..

Hardy was viewed as a db first
This makes sense if you view Cam Lewis as the backup NB who is likely way ahead of Hardy at this point. Didn't Hardy also play snaps at outside CB too? Suggests that they weren't in love with him & might also suggests the Safety group as a whole are healthier than we think, so Lewis won't be needed as cover there?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I’m very surprised they kept Toohill and cut Hardy. I don’t think I heard anything about Toohill and he did zilch in the preseason games. Hope Hardy finds his way to the PS
They were never in competition for a roster spot.

Once they made the trade for Brandon Codrington, Hardy was going to get cut. And it was likely that Hardy's poor decision making on punt returns that cost him the roster spot.

For me, Toohill and Spector are the 52nd and 53rd guys on the roster. But, who knows what the Bills brass thinks about that...

I don’t understand cutting Hardy and trading for a returner at all
Hardy's decision-making on punts was bad this preseason. That likely cost him. And Brandon Codrington was really good in the preseason when it came to making guys miss. So, I can understand why they made that move.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Hardy's decision-making on punts was bad this preseason. That likely cost him. And Brandon Codrington was really good in the preseason when it came to making guys miss. So, I can understand why they made that move.
Agreed. Hardy felt likely to botch a punt once live ammo started flying and the pressure cranked up.

Maybe he can improve his consistency with some time on the practice squad, but I want him nowhere near the ball for the time being.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'm pumped on the Mike White add. He's been an excellent back up (and even fantasy relevant fill-in) for a while now. He and Trubisky are a solid 2/3.

Also, any other fans of The Wire think of "White Mike" whenever Mike White comes up? 😂

1724847332158.png

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Per this, we get a 4 and a 5......with a chance for a 7th if Tim Settle plays a lot for the Texans. Overthecap agrees that we get a 4 and 5.

OTC has the Bills getting a 4th for Gabe Davis and a 5th for Leonard Floyd.
I don't see the 5th on OTC for Floyd. They have his pick lined out and greyed.

1st, 2nd (MIN), 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th (CHI), 4th (Comp: Gabe Davis), 5th (Comp: Leonard Floyd), 6th (NYG), 6th.

Lots of draft ammunition. Those 4th's could easily become another 3rd, or allow Beane to make some serious trade ups.

For me, here's what I think the needs are:

Edge rusher
Offensive Tackle
Center/Guard
Outside speed receiver
Safety

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

1st, 2nd (MIN), 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th (CHI), 4th (Comp: Gabe Davis), 5th (Comp: Leonard Floyd), 6th (NYG), 6th.

Lots of draft ammunition. Those 4th's could easily become another 3rd, or allow Beane to make some serious trade ups.

Edge rusher
Offensive Tackle
Center/Guard
Outside speed receiver
Safety
That definitely changed from when I posted previously.

Screenshot 2024-08-28 104306.png

It looks like the Mack Hollins signing was previously expected to be below the comp pick line and now it is above the line and cost the Bills that second comp pick.

I thought the talk prior to the offseason starting was that $2.7M was the comp pick threshold and Hollins wouldn't factor in. It seems like that assumption may have been in error.

:dunno:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's certainly possible that the Bills viewed Codrington as the superior returner and that's why they pulled the trigger, but Hardy's ability to play defensive back would in no way hurt him in the comparison. The more things you can do, the better. The Bills coaching staff preaches versatility literally all the time.

I also suspect Hardy's injury played into this - the Bills didn't really use anyone else at punt returns in the pre-season so if Hardy was missing time that's a huge hole to fill that the Bills apparently thought they needed to fill with someone that was healthy now. We'll see if Hardy clears waivers and ends up on the practice squad if he ends up getting back on the roster at some point when others are dinged up.

In my roster plan I look at the team having a designated returner along with P, K, LS
23 on each side
3 wildcards for rookies
I want to say that the idea of getting 'intel' on other teams by making moves like this is overblown. There is so much player movement in the league that no one team really gets a huge net advantage from it.

That said i think White is a very solid backup QB who's likely better than Trubisky from day one.

This makes sense if you view Cam Lewis as the backup NB who is likely way ahead of Hardy at this point. Didn't Hardy also play snaps at outside CB too? Suggests that they weren't in love with him & might also suggests the Safety group as a whole are healthier than we think, so Lewis won't be needed as cover there?
I think, because of depth at CB along with some safeties can do CB put him far down on the depth cart. Then ST role matters

Edge rusher
Offensive Tackle
Center/Guard
Outside speed receiver
Safety

I need to see more of the young players to priorities need.

The speed WR needs to be outside no slot guy.
I think interior might be better from youth.
Von replacement

Reactions: Der Jaeger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad