GDT: Training Camp discussion - Rifai and Murray on waivers -- Steeves clears

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
What do Domi, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Reaves, McMann, Dewar, and Knies have in common with Nylander?

Their salaries all add up to what he makes. Let that one sink in for a moment. The entire bottom half of the roster earns what the second line winger does.

A good rule of thumb is to not pay your top four wingers more than your top four defensemen.

The Leafs are paying their entire defensive corps just over $22.5M. They have that much in two wingers alone. To accommodate the core the Leafs have been forced to gut the team.

Thinking backing up good players with bad players is called depth.

Looking at the roster I'm struck by how much worse they just might be than last year. That's what adding over the hill veterans on retirement deals will do. The core still hasn't been changed even though it was them who mainly failed to do what they're here for.

They all get an $11M endless free ride.
You can also get probably more than 10 Pontiac Sunfires instead of a Porsche 911, but I'll take the Porsche thank you very much

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You can also get probably more than 10 Pontiac Sunfires instead of a Porsche 911, but I'll take the Porsche thank you very much

Yea, a Porcshe 911 that looks good but gets you nowhere. Empty calorie points in the regular season do nothing. Teams finish with 100+ points with less talented players all the time. Leafs don’t even have a division title or a President’s trophy with these super talented players. Can’t even get home ice advantage most of the time.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What do Domi, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Reaves, McMann, Dewar, and Knies have in common with Nylander?

Their salaries all add up to what he makes. Let that one sink in for a moment.

Wow a bunch of mostly replaceable players, three of which should have already been dumped for cap purposes, add up to a star. I’ve let it sink in, your takes are terrible.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I could be wrong but the last few seasons I hear about all this depth we have but by season ends it turns out the depth we thought we had wasn’t good.
Foolishly spending over 1/2 your entire cap only 4 forwards unlike any other team, and your depth will obviously be weaker than ALL other teams right from the start.

That is just simple math. :wg:

While Leafs are forced to spending $1 mil to $2.5 mil on so call "Depth" other teams can afford to pay $3-$5 mil due to better cap management, and not top heavy overspending on so few.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Foolishly spending over 1/2 your entire cap only 4 forwards unlike any other team, and your depth will obviously be weaker than ALL other teams right from the start.

That is just simple math. :wg:

While Leafs are forced to spending $1 mil to $2.5 mil on so call "Depth" other teams can afford to pay $3-$5 mil due to better cap management, and not top heavy overspending on so few.
I guess that core four is really, really good then. Is that your point? If we are obviously weaker than ALL other teams from the start then why do we finish ahead of almost every other team every year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad