Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm going to need a larger sample of games to renew my faith in Travis Hamonic.

I think he’s golden for 14-16 minutes a night, his skating looks more relaxed then last year, he’s good for Dzone starts, don’t think you need him on the PK this year with Jensen, Zub, Sandy and Kleven here already. Sheltered minutes and wild slappers, I think he’ll be good with Kleven TBH.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not surprised but I would've given him the 9 games.

Seems like we're down to 21 guys now?

F: Tkachuk, Stützle, Giroux, Perron, Norris, Batherson, Greig, Pinto, Amadio, Gregor, Ostapchuk, Cousins
D: Sanderson, Jensen, Chabot, Zub, Kleven, Hamonic, Bernard-Docker
G: Ullmark, Forsberg

IR: Highmore

I wonder if we keep just one extra guy around to preserve cap space of if we're eyeing someone on waivers.
Missing MacKewen

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Right move. Getting closer to maybe seeing Travis “he’s only our 7th d man, if you’re worried he’s actually going to be playing any meaningful games you’re wrong he will only be in there in case of emergency” Hamonic playing in our top 6 opening night

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully if we play a more structured game where all 5 players on the ice focus on their end... it benefits him.

The "forwards clear the zone as soon as the defenseman touches the puck" way of playing was probably the worst case scenario for a guy like Hamonic...

I think it's been said that the amount of whinging and worrying about third pairing defencemen is not consistent with their overall impact on the game.

From a depth perspective, it can be important, if they are forced into a top four role due to injury.

Clearly the team staff is willing to give him another shot so I guess we'll see how he does.

For a veteran though, I don't know how much he actually supports and shelters his defence parter or how much his partner shelters him.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
No issue with him going back to Calgary. He probably could've hung in the NHL for a few games, but that's a lot of pressure on the kid. Just let him return to Calgary knowing he absolutely crushed it in the preseason and ready to carry that confidence into his season.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Right move. Getting closer to maybe seeing Travis “he’s only our 7th d man, if you’re worried he’s actually going to be playing any meaningful games you’re wrong he will only be in there in case of emergency” Hamonic playing in our top 6 opening night

I don't think anyone associated with the team has ever said that about Hamonic. Going by Staios' comments over the summer, he was always in the plans. They clearly like him in the #6/7 role.

I expect he and JBD split the first ~40 games and then whoever's better gets the bulk of the work down the stretch. If they both suck and we're in the mix, we'll need to make a trade.

Reactions: DrEasy

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Against really, really, really tough opponents though.

Florida, Montreal, LA, NJ, TB, Colorado, St Louis, NYR and Seattle.

That's an indoctrination by fire.
You're right, that's a tough start.

Ottawa management agrees, Yakemchuk is going back to the WHL.

Next year, Yak and Sanderson will be unreal.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I think this is the right move. The Sens have sucked, so on the one hand you'd kind of like to see what the new shiny thing can contribute.

On the other hand, I'd say the Sens have as much pressure on them as any other team in the NHL over the first 10 games of this season. It isn't like he's going to Florida, Colorado or the Leafs where he's insulated and the stakes are low.

The team needs to win now and there's zero room for rookie errors. Also the vibe might be VERY BAD if the team starts 2-7 or something. Even if a Florida starts 2-7 the assumption is that they'll turn it around and quickly and the atmosphere would be fine. Ottawa it'd be ugly.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I like this decision because it shows that we mean business.

We're not at the point where we're giving "candies" to 19 year olds anymore. Yak had a GREAT training camp and preseason, and he could have played a couple of games, but that can potentially put our regular season record in peril if he costs us goals when the real show starts.

I don't mind this at all, and everybody agrees long-term it's the best move. He got a good taste. Let him dominate and let's see if he's improved even more by the time the WJC comes.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I don’t know man. This basically tells first year prospects they got no chance so just coast through your pre season.

Yaks hard work should have at least got him a game
He at least got 2-3 more exhibition games and another week. Parekh and Dickinson looked lost, couldn't keep up, and were sent back after 1-2 games.

But I would have liked to see him get 2-9 games. But I won't complain as management seems to be doing a good job, and appear to know what they're doing.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Against really, really, really tough opponents though.

Florida, Montreal, LA, NJ, TB, Colorado, St Louis, NYR and Seattle.

That's an indoctrination by fire.
Good point. In those games, only Montreal is a easy win, and it's imperative the team has a good start.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think anyone associated with the team has ever said that about Hamonic. Going by Staios' comments over the summer, he was always in the plans. They clearly like him in the #6/7 role.

I expect he and JBD split the first ~40 games and then whoever's better gets the bulk of the work down the stretch. If they both suck and we're in the mix, we'll need to make a trade.
Associated with the team no.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I believe it's the correct decision to let him play significant minutes in junior and then gain experience at the World Juniors. He needs to play top minutes and have a great season in the WHL; it's the best thing for his development right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad