GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Kampf just like Jarnkrok are everyday NHL players, most teams in this league would be more than happy to have them, especially because both signed to very affordable contracts. Their contracts only pose a problem here in Toront, because of 4 guys who are being somewhat overpaid.

Just because the dough head former GM compounded his own idiotic mistake by spending a first round pick on a player he truly overpaid, instead of eating 2.5m of his remaining deal doesn't mean it's always going to be a means to an end.
It's not that they aren't capable NHL players, it's the price for cap relief. All teams around the league are aware of Toronto's cap issues ... they're not going to help us out of a bind for free.

The Mathieu Joseph trade from this summer is a good example. Similar abilities/cap hit/term to Kampf/Jarnkrok.

Reactions: banks

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't see any opinion presented as fact. Not sure what you're talking about. I believe the additions made us worse because we had a worse record after, worse defensive results after, the additions didn't play very well as individuals, and we lost and had one of our worst underlying playoff performances in part due to glaring transition struggles that seemed to pop up when we overloaded with defensemen with poor transition ability.

There are many variables that change outcomes of seasons. But let's look at the GA in recent playoffs:

Leafs allowed 16 goals in 7 games vs Boston in 2024. With injury to their selke center.

Leafs allowed 21 goals in 7 games vs Tampa in 2023

Leafs allowed 14 goals in 5 games vs Florida in 2023

Leafs allowed 23 goals in 7 games vs Tampa in 2022.

Seems the Leafs allowed their lowest goal totals in a while this past playoffs with their defensive core.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There are many variables that change outcomes of seasons. But let's look at the GA in recent playoffs:
Leafs allowed 16 goals in 7 games vs Boston in 2024. With injury to their selke center.
Leafs allowed 21 goals in 7 games vs Tampa in 2023
Leafs allowed 14 goals in 5 games vs Florida in 2023
Leafs allowed 23 goals in 7 games vs Tampa in 2022.
Seems the Leafs allowed their lowest goal totals in a while this past playoffs with their defensive core.
Not only is this not really related to my post, but you still seem to be mixing up goaltending and defense.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's not that they aren't capable NHL players, it's the price for cap relief. All teams around the league are aware of Toronto's cap issues ... they're not going to help us out of a bind for free.

The Mathieu Joseph trade from this summer is a good example. Similar abilities/cap hit/term to Kampf/Jarnkrok.
Toronto doesn't really have cap issues. They can ice a very good opening night roster by signing two PTOs, demoting a few to the Marlies, putting a couple on IR, and possibly risking the loss of Timmins to waivers while replacing him with Rifai.

Some breathing room would be nice for sure and I am in favour of trading some or all of Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren because we can replace them in house at lower cost. I just don't think we are under pressure to do it quickly.

Up front we can ice Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Domi, Knies, Pacioretty, McMann, Robertson, Holmberg, Lorentz, Reaves, and Cowan. We won't be missing Kampf and Jarnkrok. Dewar will come back and we have Grebenkin, Minten and a couple others as call ups.

Our D still runs Reilly, Tanev, McCabe, OEL, Benoit, Rifai, and eventually Hakanpaa. Most importantly moving these guys out would give us about $6M in space. Get a D man? Parayko? Anderson?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
some just can’t accept that this group simply isn’t good enough…..
Good yes just not good enough

Anyone know if Tavares' injury will stop him from plaing from the get go this year?
Nope, I think his age will do that

Last edited by a moderator:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
A week to go.

I still have very little idea what they plan to do.

I think I would hate if they moved Robertson to make room for Pacs..

Reactions: bax

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Again, it's not really fair to compare this upcoming season with a three year window. For example, you list both Hyman and Bunting as the comparable and they never played together. Engvall was decent, but not a real contributor in the year when we had Hyman.
I wasn't listing players that played together. I was listing examples of the second tier forwards we've had during that time. The group of second tier forwards this year doesn't really surpass any of those individual years unless we see meaningful advancement in our youth. And Reaves pretty much single-handedly sinks our third tier.
"Benoit gives us more than Muzzin" absolutely if we are talking 2022-23 when Jake played four games, probably even more than the year before when he gave us 47. He didn't play 1.5 of the years in this three year window. No doubt, when healthy and available Muzzin was much better than Benoit and probably any other dman we have.
Even with injuries, Muzzin's impact in 2021-2022 was in a whole other universe from Benoit. But I don't know why you're talking about injuries in the first place. It's not really apples to apples to assume perfect health this year, and then compare it against hindsight injury impacts. For all we know, Tanev is going to get a career-ending injury in the first game.
I can't dispute we have some uncertainty in the goaltending. I like the tandem and it's probably better than our end of Campbell, Mrazek, Murray and Samsonov years.
It might end up better than those years, because goaltending is very unpredictable, but our approach and choices themselves aren't any better heading into the season.
Which of those three years do you think was the best?
Depends what's being looked at. 2021-2022 was our best record, but all three years probably surpass our team quality this year, barring unexpected surprises.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting that Hakanpaa and Dewar appear ready to go.

Dewar was said to be ready by mid/late training camp so not a big surprise.

Hakanpaa might still be rehabbing for awhile. We'll see if he gets into a game.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I wasn't listing players that played together. I was listing examples of the second tier forwards we've had during that time. The group of second tier forwards this year doesn't really surpass any of those individual years unless we see meaningful advancement in our youth. And Reaves pretty much single-handedly sinks our third tier.

Even with injuries, Muzzin's impact in 2021-2022 was in a whole other universe from Benoit. But I don't know why you're talking about injuries in the first place. It's not really apples to apples to assume perfect health this year, and then compare it against hindsight injury impacts. For all we know, Tanev is going to get a career-ending injury in the first game.

It might end up better than those years, because goaltending is very unpredictable, but our approach and choices themselves aren't any better heading into the season.

Depends what's being looked at. 2021-2022 was our best record, but all three years probably surpass our team quality this year, barring unexpected surprises.

My initial comment to you was that I didn't agree with your "nowhere close" response to someone saying this upcoming season is the best team of the Matthews era. I don't see how anyone can say "nowhere close".

I could totally accept that maybe we have had a better team in one or more of the years but it's close...and certainly not "nowhere close"

I asked with team was better and you gave me a three year window and when I tried to respond to that less than precise answer by assembling an all-star team of players across those three years as a comparison to what we have this single year.

If you take the 2020-2021 team as the best and I probably would pick that one then I think we can see they are close and cases could be made for either team being the stronger one.

Both teams have the core four. I would argue that Matthews, Nylander and Marner are better than they were four years ago and that Tavares is less of a player. The rest of the forwards on that team (in order of TOI) were Hyman (the 20 goals version, not the 50+ goal version), Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Thornton, Spezza, Engvall (12 points in 42 game version), Simmonds, Galchenyuk, Vesey, and Boyd. My quick compare would be:

Hyman over Knies (not by much)
Kerfoot behind Domi
Mikheyev equal to Jarnkrok
Thornton equal to McMann
Spezza equal to Kampf
Engvall equal to Holmberg
Simmonds equal to Reaves (whatever)
Galchenyuk behind Robertson
Vesey behind Lorentz
Boyd behind Cowan

I didn't spend a lot of time on this but I think however you slice it these teams are close in forward depth and I would argue better constructed as a team now not trying to fit Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds and Vesey in every night.

As for D (in order of TOI)

Reilly equal to Reilly
Brodie equal to Tanev
Holl behind OEL
Muzzin ahead of McCabe
Dermott behind Benoit
Bogosian equal to Hakanpaa
Sandin equal to Liljegren

That feels pretty close too. In goal Andersen was not good and Campbell took the starting job. Along with Hutcheson and Rittich they put up a .908 save percentage (when league averages were higher). I would put money on Woll, Stolarz, Murray and Hildeby doing better than that this year.

So, my quick analysis is that F are a wash, perhaps better due to construction of the lines, D could arguably be better this year, and G should be better.

I might be wrong and I welcome the discussion but it's close and that's really my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad