GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was just thinking about this today, but doesn't it amaze you how many fanbases have a dedicated Leafs hater poster who do nothing but just talk about the Leafs and Leaf fans and instigate stuff with them all the time? (e.g. PaulD). Yet there are no Leaf posters who dedicate their time solely to actively trolling and obsessively discussing a rival team or its fans, at least not that I know of. Imagine making your entire personality about hating another team lol, more than you even discuss your own team.
I’m amazed that it’s the Leafs that interest the other o Canadian fanbases and not the team out east. Historically the province has been the biggest whiners in the country and the team rigged the system to benefit themselves. Although they’ve been irrelevant for 30 yrs, I still hold a grudge, and it’s the most hated franchise in my sporting world.

The Leafs have been a comedy of errors and are more loveable than anything.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You think this is really where Berube is gonna go at the start of the season? Sit newly signed $3mill Liljegren game 1? I agree that Timmins has looked pretty good so I’m curious to see how this goes.
If you just look at roles and usage, Timmins doesn't fit. He isn't getting PP time over Rielly and OEL and he doesn't PK. Lilly doesn't need PP to stay in lineup

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, not really sure. I would hope he dresses players on merit and not because of their contracts.

Perhaps the Timmins pair is the 4th pair and they weren't listed in any particular order.

I’d say they are just giving Timmins a longer look with the regular group to get a better evaluation.

I doubt Lily would overtake Tanev or McCabe on those pairings even with a stellar camp.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hildebeest is huge and very athletic but id like to see more structure to his game, like Woll has. It could be nerves but he appeared unsure at times of his positioning.

This kind of sounds like Berube is already realizing Nylander at C isn't optimal, and wants Treliving to get a RH shooting middle 6 C who's also good at faceoffs.
Playing D at center vs playing D at winger is 100% more difficult. Babs talked about in the past. Which is likely why Wingers usually never win Selkes.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Cowan looks invisible af, pretty disappointed in him. Doesn’t look like he will crack the team

greb I’ve made a post about but he needs ahl time for his defence

Goalies are actually good

The day we develop a two way defencemen is gonna be glorious, hopefully it’s before I die
Yes when guys go later in the first it's because they need more cooking time. Most GM's don't know if they will have a job in 2 years and go for instant help. Our pool is shallow enough that letting Grebs, Cowan,Minten, Hildeby slow cook one more year works for us. I think 4 guys make the team next year. Berube wants to win, vets will get the nod this season.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You may know what goes on, but the fans don’t see what’s going in those rooms. We didn’t know about McDavids outburst during the final. That access may interest some viewers.

In Toronto, the players are rarely interviewed outside of their mandated obligations.

It was an odd response.
McJeebuzz yelled? He probably threw in a few expletives as well. I sure hope he didn't offend anybody! Dear me what are Jen and Kelley going to say about this, I sure hope they don't give him the Cherry treatment and get Ron to throw him under the bus.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Matthew Knies - Auston Matthews - Mitch Marner
Bobby McMann - William Nylander - Max Domi
Max Paccioretty - John Tavares - Robertson
Grebenkin - Lorentz - Reaves/Holmberg
Dewar (when healthy

I think Jarnkrok and Kampf's time with the leafs should be over. Kampf to the kings. Jarkkrok to the Jackets or something like that. Sell em low if you have too. We have better depth now

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Alex Nylander said he turned down NHL offers to work with Toronto development staff here and try to make the team. He is an idiot. This guy is not an NHLer. Shoulda took the money
Yeah sure maybe I guess?

He does get to live with his bro for helping with the groceries, which saves him lots. What should be taken into consideration is that Micheal was involved in the decision.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

This kind of sounds like Berube is already realizing Nylander at C isn't optimal, and wants Treliving to get a RH shooting middle 6 C who's also good at faceoffs.
He may be able to do it, but to me, it's painfully obvious who should get a look there. It won't happen because that means even more leverage for a particularly obstinate agent.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I guess Lily is in Berube's doghouse :dunno:

also dont like brekaing beniot-mccabe pair from last season

We read way too much into this stuff. Or Lily is slightly banged up. Or he wants to give Timmins the next game, and he's going to be paired with Benoit, and they are actually going to practice together... or the Media guy got the lines wrong again...

Reactions: ULF_55

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
well Domi was flipped back to center today, and Nylander back on RW.

With Tavares banged up things do need to shift around.

Also though it can't be to surprising that Nylander is back on wing seeing as he started 2 games there and didn't finish either of them there.

hopefully that's a sign that the stupid Nylander at center experiment that is tried every year and fails every year is being put to bed for another year.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
This team is a in perpetual Groundhog Day. Lose in the playoffs the exact same way year after year. Make Willy a Center in pre season and then abandon it before the season starts every year. Anyone want to take a wild guess at how the season will end ?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
well Domi was flipped back to center today, and Nylander back on RW.

With Tavares banged up things do need to shift around.

Also though it can't be to surprising that Nylander is back on wing seeing as he started 2 games there and didn't finish either of them there.

hopefully that's a sign that the stupid Nylander at center experiment that is tried every year and fails every year is being put to bed for another year.

No, that's not what happened.

This team is a in perpetual Groundhog Day. Lose in the playoffs the exact same way year after year. Make Willy a Center in pre season and then abandon it before the season starts every year. Anyone want to take a wild guess at how the season will end ?
He's not back at Wing. Domi and Nylander are taking turns at C... in PRACTICE.

Like I said above... people try to read far too much into these lines that media post.

""

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Blame Dubas and Shanny for creating this time loop of futility

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yes when guys go later in the first it's because they need more cooking time. Most GM's don't know if they will have a job in 2 years and go for instant help. Our pool is shallow enough that letting Grebs, Cowan,Minten, Hildeby slow cook one more year works for us. I think 4 guys make the team next year. Berube wants to win, vets will get the nod this season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Nylander’s DNA is that of an elite scoring winger. Even when you see him moving in transition it doesn’t look like a classic centerman but that of a Kessel-like winger gallop. I don’t think it’ll work out.

Reactions: Antropovsky

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Timmins is having another good camp. Not reading too much into. Maybe Rifai is playing his way into the conversation. Pretty funny about Nylander. Wonder if it’s just a one practice move.

I think Rifai 99% gets claimed if he goes on waivers. Leafs probably know this. And he's been solid for awhile so it makes sense to keep him as a depth option while Hakanpaa recovers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad