GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
With 3 of the best players in the world they've won one round in 8 years ...

But I will bet MLSE completely agrees with your logic, hence why the core is still here, and so far 3/5 of them (incl. Reilly) have gotten extensions after all that losing.
Path of least resistance.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think we all now the core guys and what they bring

We need them to be on their A game for once in the playoffs if we want to won the cup

What are glaring roster upgrades needed which can bring in "core level" talents to the team and have guys who can step up and be a 1LHD or 1RHD in case Rielly/Tanev fails? Be a 1C if Matthews fails for a round. They would be like a Gary Roberts who stepped up big time when Sundin was injured. Dont need to be a 1C or 1D but a guy when the moents get big can take that pressure and give quality play and output

Names that are interesting:

D-Men:
Provorov
Chychuran
Trouba (retained)

Centers:
Sean Couterier (contract is tough pill)
Morgan Frost (high breakout potential)
Brock Nelson (UFA, could be a deadline add if isles stink)

Wingers:
Kempe
Verhaghe
Vatrano
Rust

Hooefully, if the team is doing well at the deadline, we are aggresive and find a way to add a major impact piece or two from the above list to make the team more complete and competitive for the playoffs.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He said that *gasp*... he wasn't all that interested in watching the show... THE NERVE! HOW COULD HE!? :eek3:

"if he was in a tough media market he would been drilled after that comment"
As he literally drills him in the toughest media market over the comment that wouldn't be given a second thought in any other market. The guy has no idea what he's talking about.
The reporter specifically asked Marner if he was interested in watching the Amazon series that features Nylander.

Marner responded, "I probably won’t watch it, to be honest, so probably not."

That’s a very unleaderlike response about your teammate, selfish, but that’s typical Marner. Everything with him is about himself. When asked about Matthews hitting 60 goals, Marner shifts the focus to how he was passing him the puck all game. When asked about Matthews’ growth into a leader and eventual captaincy, Marner talks about how both of them have grown.

Even if you're not into NHL documentaries, you could still say something supportive of Nylander. When Marner was younger and starring in insurance commercials, his teammates joked around and supported him.

Though, im pretty sure Marner knows the quit crying bro that is reportedly in thr Amazon series is about him and its not a good look.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
He said that *gasp*... he wasn't all that interested in watching the show... THE NERVE! HOW COULD HE!? :eek3:

As he literally drills him in the toughest media market over the comment that wouldn't be given a second thought in any other market. The guy has no idea what he's talking about.
Yeah, that's a silly criticism.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I doubt many of them will watch it, I know I won’t. We already know everything that goes on, nothing new to see.

Just a day in the life for some. :laugh:

Reactions: bax

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
But I will bet MLSE completely agrees with your logic, hence why the core is still here, and so far 3/5 of them (incl. Reilly) have gotten extensions after all that losing.
While some people only see in the black and white of round outcomes, what has actually been shown is the potential to build a consistent top tier team with these players, and the ability to match up against any quality of team having any kind of run in the playoffs through even the most disadvantaged situations. Giving that up unnecessarily would be insane, and hopefully MLSE continues on the correct path in that regard. You can get/prevent that one more goal you need without tearing down the best parts of your team.

Reactions: uncleben

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
No, we would not be better without one of the best players in the world, who is also our leading playoff scorer.
Not leading scorer, leading point getter. Most of which are empty points. That’s the issue with Mitch, he has not stepped up once in the playoffs and had a big goal or play that could have changed the series.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The question was about watching his linemate on TV. It wasnt really about watching the series.

He didnt even acknowledge his teammate starring in it. Howevwr, Im not shocked that Marner thought about Marner...when it really was about Nylander. As ive pointed out, Marner always thinks about Marner when asked about Teammates achievements.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
While some people only see in the black and white of round outcomes, what has actually been shown is the potential to build a consistent top tier team with these players, and the ability to match up against any quality of team having any kind of run in the playoffs through even the most disadvantaged situations. Giving that up unnecessarily would be insane, and hopefully MLSE continues on the correct path in that regard. You can get/prevent that one more goal you need without tearing down the best parts of your team.
“Potential to build a top tier team”? That literally means nothing.

“Ability to match up against any quality of team?” This has not been shown. We’ve pretty much only lost in the first round, you have no clue what this team would look like in later rounds.

“Disadvantaged”? Also not true. We’ve been gifted numerous advantageous situations and still failed. Even if you want to say we play good teams early, we are also a good team in your eyes so our opponents are still “disadvantaged” yet find ways to win.

I appreciate you being a diehard but for once just be honest with yourself. There is some good on this team but there is no need to make up lies to show it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Marleau was fine his first year as I recall.

I don’t think it’s one or the other anyway, Cowan goes back and they both make the team.

Hell they could both make the team AND Cowan could stay, which is what I think they should be doing.

Nineteen67

Dec 12, 2017
I doubt many of them will watch it, I know I won’t. We already know everything that goes on, nothing new to see.

Just a day in the life for some. :laugh:

You may know what goes on, but the fans don’t see what’s going in those rooms. We didn’t know about McDavids outburst during the final. That access may interest some viewers.

In Toronto, the players are rarely interviewed outside of their mandated obligations.

The question was about watching his linemate on TV. It wasnt really about watching the series.

He didnt even acknowledge his teammate starring in it. Howevwr, Im not shocked that Marner thought about Marner...when it really was about Nylander. As ive pointed out, Marner always thinks about Marner when asked about Teammates achievements.
It was an odd response.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Regular season success is all that matters to ownership. The risk of upsetting that vs shaking up the core towards a championship is too great in their eyes. Extending Marner & Tavares at any price will prove how little they give a **** about winning the cup.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I may watch it at some point as it can be fun to see the behind the scenes of different NHL teams, but I certainly wouldn't be focused on it if I was preparing for an NHL season, and already lived through it all in person. The idea that Nylander cares if somebody watches some silly show, or that it reflects at all on leadership or character, is hilarious.
Not leading scorer, leading point getter. Most of which are empty points. That’s the issue with Mitch, he has not stepped up once in the playoffs and had a big goal or play that could have changed the series.
I think everybody else understood that scoring referred to points in this context. The rest of what you said is simply incorrect.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The reporter specifically asked Marner if he was interested in watching the Amazon series that features Nylander.

Marner responded, "I probably won’t watch it, to be honest, so probably not."

That’s a very unleaderlike response about your teammate, selfish, but that’s typical Marner. Everything with him is about himself. When asked about Matthews hitting 60 goals, Marner shifts the focus to how he was passing him the puck all game. When asked about Matthews’ growth into a leader and eventual captaincy, Marner talks about how both of them have grown.

Even if you're not into NHL documentaries, you could still say something supportive of Nylander. When Marner was younger and starring in insurance commercials, his teammates joked around and supported him.

Though, im pretty sure Marner knows the quit crying bro that is reportedly in thr Amazon series is about him and its not a good look.

Do you want him to lie or do something he doesn't want to do so that your feelings aren't hurt?

The people who whine about the words that Marner says have thinner skin than he does.

If this was a consistent thing, I don't think people would care, he is useful here, and I think he could be useful most of the time, and he is fun to watch, I like him in the lineup for entertainment purposes, but the problem is he is a liability 50% of the time he is on the ice, and he is not helping make up for the goals against that he helps cause.

Most D aren't as slow as WiFi either, a decent D could just skate that puck out easily and leave Reaves behind, but yes, it was a good play there.

Also, people keep telling me that Reaves will deter dirty plays, but Tavares got injured off a questionable hit by a goon last game, doesn't seem like people care.

Last edited:

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If one of my coworkers was being featured on an Amazon series, I'm pretty sure I would watch. I think most people would.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If one of my coworkers was being featured on an Amazon series, I'm pretty sure I would watch. I think most people would.

I probably would out of curiosity too, but to give it the same context, you have to watch yourself suck at your job throughout the documentary too.

The documentary shows Marner losing, he lived what it is showing, and it is probably one of his worst playoff performances, it is probably not a fun watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad