GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
They have 5 older prospects who are waiver exempt.
Exclude Chadwick.
If looking for an extra carry without waivers ...

View attachment 910247

Makes more sense to carry someone with waivers so you don't lose them. None of those guys are ready, if they'll ever be and Rifai/Myers/Timmons are better suited.

I could see cases for all of them. Timmons most offensive upside, RHD but most costly. Rifai maybe has looked the best, but LHD. Myers is big and might be a late bloomer, RHD.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don’t feel as strongly as you do obviously on the first part of your sentence. I like Holmberg but he really hasn’t done anything that separates himself from any of the other fringe roster players.

A trade will likely be made and it’ll work out, but if say all of Pacioretty, Cowan and Robertson make this roster (which is entirely possible) then without a move I could see Holmberg on the outside looking in.

Did you watch the game last night.
Thought Holmberg showed his progress. This following the game the other night where he fought.
Won the dot last night, showed more than the other centers in the line-up (Nylander exited and Tavares sat).
Perhaps he's arrived at his man strength age.

Reactions: stickty111

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't really understand the "trade Jarnkrok" chatter when the "waive Reaves" option is just sitting there.

If you honestly think Reaves is not on the opening night roster you have not paid attention. Plus we already tried the skilled 4th line that doesn't really score and doesn't really hit and doesn't really fight. At least with Reaves and Lorentz the line has an identity.

Hard on forecheck and willing to scrap

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kyper sucks, honestly. These boost plays are pretty common now.
Sportsnet lost all respect when they brought this clown back.

Thought Holmberg showed his progress. This following the game the other night where he fought.
Won the dot last night, showed more than the other centers in the line-up (Nylander exited and Tavares sat).
He's been one of their better players so far.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
So....the majority of the cuts likely happen after Saturday's game I would think?

Interesting that Niemela hasn't gotten into one of the 3 games - not that there really is a spot for him, but he is one of their higher ranked prospects.

Would be nice to get a timeline on Haakanpaa as well.

Reactions: AvroArrow

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
If you honestly think Reaves is not on the opening night roster you have not paid attention. Plus we already tried the skilled 4th line that doesn't really score and doesn't really hit and doesn't really fight. At least with Reaves and Lorentz the line has an identity.

Hard on forecheck and willing to scrap
Oh it's more of a comment that he doesn't seem to have to fight for a job meanwhile people want to flip Jarnkrok or Kampf for whatever we can get.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I did. He was ok against a weak Montreal team. Nothing to write home about. Cowan and Robertson outshone him by a considerable margin. I agree he looks stronger and more engaged physically but that might not be enough to be considered a “lock” which is what I initially disagreed with.

He's been one of their better players so far.

He’s been maybe middle of the pack.
He really hasn’t stood out.
If Auston, Willy, JT and Kampf are your guys down the middle, Holmberg will find himself needing to beat out some of these wingers to get into the lineup, which he hasn’t really done yet imo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I did. He was ok against a weak Montreal team. Nothing to write home about. Cowan and Robertson outshone him by a considerable margin. I agree he looks stronger and more engaged physically but that might not be enough to be considered a “lock” which is what I initially disagreed with.
Disagree.

Play different roles, and center has more responsibility.

They all played okay, all against the same team.

It isn't like Robertson scored against the stong Montreal team while Holmberg played against a weak Montreal team.

Reactions: stickty111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So....the majority of the cuts likely happen after Saturday's game I would think?

Interesting that Niemela hasn't gotten into one of the 3 games - not that there really is a spot for him, but he is one of their higher ranked prospects.

Would be nice to get a timeline on Haakanpaa as well.

I think Niemela may have gotten banged up at that prospect camp.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
This is an overly simplistic position to take.

You are making it sound like nothing will be gained by moving from Marner.

What if the $12m that Marner is expected to ask for is reallocated to be used, in part, on a true 2C and a top 4 RHD?

Is Marner really that much more valuable than other gaps that the team has?

Losing Marner and pissing money away is stupid. Losing Marner to shore up other long term positions of important need has the potential to make the team better long term.

We’ve see what this team looks like with Marner. We have not seen this team with solid depth up the middle that has Tavares, if resigned, slotted on the 3rd pairing, and a top 4 that figures to be here long term.
So lets use this past summer as a barometer just for the hell of it You had 11 -12 million to spend on free agents. What blend of free agents would you have signed to make the team better than marner plus depth d like Benoit? Lets include ones that the leafs had a realstic shot of signing? Personally i doubt Guentzel would gave signed ater fielding offers from carolina and tampa.

Not saying its impossible but i personally dont think its guaranteed to make the team better like many fans believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad