GDT: Training Camp discussion - Abruzzese on waivers and other cuts

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Robertson is a NHL player and will not clear waivers. He was always going to be NHL this year, earned or not earned. They weren't losing him for nothing.
The kid can do no right in many peoples eyes. So many players take nights off and never get called out. He works his ass off every shift and gets bashed for not producing or not being noticeable. I can't recall many games where I didn't notice his compete level. Compare that to Kampf, Jarnkrok, Holmberg etc etc

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It was never between him and Nylander
Team has made a decision, that is not to resign Tavares or sign him to a smaller contract

That's why Nylander is playing center this year. The plan is to resign Marner and keep Nylander

Tavares will move down or not be resigned.
Seems pretty obvious when you look at things objectively.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Team has made a decision, that is not to resign Tavares or sign him to a smaller contract

That's why Nylander is playing center this year. The plan is to resign Marner and keep Nylander

That plan falls short of their stated promise of big change.
That's cowardly change that will result in no playoff improvement for the foreseeable future.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Given that it looks like Toronto wants to give Nylander an extended look at center, my ideal forward group to start the season would be following....

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-Nylander-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Robertson
Pacioretty-Kampf-Grebenkin
Dewar / Holmberg / Reaves

That said, the obvious upgrade required is at 2LW, which I think comes via in season trade, with Jarnkrok and Robertson going the other way to make the money work. That also gives time for Grebenkin time to acclimate to the NHL before moving onto that 3rd line permanently. I'd like to end the season with...

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Addition-Nylander-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Grebenkin
Pacioretty-Kampf-Dewar
Holmberg / Reaves / Minten

Paciorrety on the 4th line lmao, Pacioretty will end up either on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Reactions: horner

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Forget everything I said about the Leafs' roster the other day. That was two days ago, and of course since then I've completely changed my mind about pretty much everything.

This is not what I really want to happen, but what I think might happen with the Leafs' roster:

1. Fortunately, the Leafs have more than 23 NHL-calibre players -- or at least nearly, supposedly, or possibly NHL-calibre players -- so even with a full 23-player roster some will have to be traded or exposed to waivers.

2. The Leafs can only fit 22 players under the salary cap, and that's without even having Pacioretty under contract. They will absolutely have to make some roster moves before the season begins, and I hesitate to speculate what those moves might be, aside from those noted below.

3. Matthew Knies is the only waivers-exempt player the Leafs will keep on their NHL roster. Every other waivers-exempt player -- including Cowan, Minten, and Grebenkin -- will be sent to junior, the AHL or loaned to a European league, as the case may be.

4. The Leafs will keep the following 22 players on their NHL roster, subject to changes caused by trades and/or injuries:

Knies -- Matthews -- Domi
Robertson -- Nylander -- Marner
Pacioretty -- Tavares -- Jarnkrok
McMann -- Kampf -- Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly -- Tanev
McCabe -- Benoit
Ekman-Larsson -- Liljegren
Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

5. The Leafs will trade or place on waivers the following players:

Dewar
Steeves
Abruzzese

Timmins
Rifai
Mermis
Myers

Murray

6. I think that pretty much covers their roster. If they sign Lorentz, they will have to place another player on waivers absent trades and injuries.

7. I think there will be injuries. If player(s) go on LTIR the Leafs might use that to shelter player like Dewar, Steeves, Timmins, Rifai, and Murray from waivers - but not all of them and which ones I wouldn't know.

8. I think that players like Kampf, Jarnkrok, Dewar, Steeves, Timmins, and/or Murray might be targeted for trade -- but which ones are unknown.

9. I would rather they try to move Kampf, Jarnkrok, and Reaves to keep players like Dewar, Steeves, Timmins, and Rifai -- but to be honest, I don't think any or all of those players would be any great loss. Life would go on in much the same way, with or without them.

Reactions: Zacman

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Yes offensively and probably overall because of McDavid. Defensively not the case. Defensive core Leafs have the edge and by a decent amount too.
The leafs top 6 isnt doing shit defensively get real. Just something guys here cling onto due to sustained failures from the group to win a round in the playoffs.

Marchand cooked them as a washed 2nd liner last year

4 of the core 5 on OT watching Pastrnak score OT winner game 7

Oilers beat the leafs in 5 or maybe 6 games.

They are better at every line at forward. Have two players better than Matthews

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Assuming Dewar goes to LTIR, it comes down to two spots for Robertson, Holmberg & Lorentz to fight over.

Reactions: Ciao

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

so will it be between him and marner when this "experiment" of nylander at center fails?

I only ask because signing tavares to a smaller contract doesn't really do anything. The savings will just go to the other 3.

Signing marner back irrespective of the playoffs suggests that the team thinks there is nothing wrong with what we are doing. At this point, I don't think any human can think that

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
so will it be between him and marner when this "experiment" of nylander at center fails?

I only ask because signing tavares to a smaller contract doesn't really do anything. The savings will just go to the other 3.

Signing marner back irrespective of the playoffs suggests that the team thinks there is nothing wrong with what we are doing. At this point, I don't think any human can think

Team does think we are doing something wrong. That's why we fired all the coaches, and GM before that.

Marner is part of the reason why our PP in playoffs was 8% but not sole reason. We also have another guy at 11 million didn't do jack and 70 goal scorer who forgot to score

Marner wasn't standing around when Boston scored in OT.

Marner has his faults no doubt. But this issues you allude to have been a systematic issue

Sure. I am up for trading him if we can get another 27 year old who can put up 98 points.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Awesome to see Mats!

I met him a few times. He's a solid guy. Very nice. Humble and welcoming. We catered a party for the players at his house and he was so down to earth. Shook my hand and thanked me for coming .. like who am I? I'm nobody...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's not a feeling, they do. Beating this out of them is one of Berube's challenges.

honestly it might even be as simple if you do it you miss a shift.
do it again miss 3.
do it again miss a period
do it again miss a game.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I met him a few times. He's a solid guy. Very nice. Humble and welcoming. We catered a party for the players at his house and he was so down to earth. Shook my hand and thanked me for coming .. like who am I? I'm nobody...
In the grand scheme of things, Sundin is equally a nobody. A guy who played hockey that 99.9% of the world has never heard of.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
That plan falls short of their stated promise of big change.
That's cowardly change that will result in no playoff improvement for the foreseeable future.
Next year re~allocate Tavares money to balance out roster. Losing Marner is unlikely going to make this team better.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
honestly it might even be as simple if you do it you miss a shift.
do it again miss 3.
do it again miss a period
do it again miss a game.
It won’t be that simple. They may need a game or 2 sitting in the stands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad