• Pettersson and it's not even close

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
EP but it's very close. I feel like they're even offensively, with Eichel having an extra gear and higher ceiling he's never hit. But EP has the better defensive game. giving him the edge

Reactions: ghostingtaro

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I said in the other Eichel thread that he’s one of those guys who tends to look better than his numbers and I think Pettersson tends to be the opposite. He can be quite flashy at times but a lot of what he does involves moving the puck out of harms way and into more dangerous areas efficiently and he’s been more productive than Eichel the past two years despite not always looking his best.

That said, his disappearing act in the second half last year was concerning even with the injury explanation. He’s now had two half-season where he became a shell of himself due to nagging injuries where either he can’t find other ways to contribute or the physical problems seem to get in his head. I’d be a little less concerned about the coming season/playoffs with Eichel instead imo.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I said in the other Eichel thread that he’s one of those guys who tends to look better than his numbers and I think Pettersson tends to be the opposite. He can be quite flashy at times but a lot of what he does involves moving the puck out of harms way and into more dangerous areas efficiently and he’s been more productive than Eichel the past two years despite not always looking his best.

That said, his disappearing act in the second half last year was concerning even with the injury explanation. He’s now had two half-season where he became a shell of himself due to nagging injuries where either he can’t find other ways to contribute or the physical problems seem to get in his head. I’d be a little less concerned about the coming season/playoffs with Eichel instead imo.
I agree with this and it's probably Eichel until EP40 definitevely passes him but man it's really close.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Regular season, it's a toss up and likely I'd take EP for the full 82 if both were healthy.

When the games get tight and matter more, Eichel is who I'd pick.

Eichel is more effective, EP is more productive.

Had Eichel not got hurt, I'm quite confident he'd have been a top 5 centre in the league.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He's a poor man's Henrik Zetterberg when at his best.
There's really not a lot separating them. I still have Z ahead but Pettersson will likely match or exceed his peak in the next few years. Or maybe he doesn't. The problem with Petterson is that you never quite know what you're going to get.

And Pettersson is more of a cerebral Datsyuk-type, as he doesn't play with the grit or relentless 1-on-1 defensive style of Zetterberg.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Petterson is better and I don't think its even remotely as close as the poll would suggest

Eichel is injury prone and has cracked 80 pts one time in his career

While Petey had some down years he's become a threat to score 100 points now plays a very solid two way game.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Pettersson at his best is a much better player, but Pettersson goes through too many ups and downs to stay at the level.

Average Pettersson and Eichel are fairly close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad