Player Discussion Marner

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There is that...and I don't think people realize how good Kane could actually shoot it, if Marner could ever get the velocity that Kane had/has in his prime, it would be all the difference in the world. Kane also looked to shoot it just as much as he looked to pass it, dual threat, Nylander is a bit similar in that sense.

Marner still will lean pass versus the processing speed of Kane being able to tell shot / pass almost immediately.

I’d take rebounds off a weaker shot instead of snipes like Kane if Marner could make decisions faster. He could lob high flips at the goalie for all I care, as long as he’s not deking himself into a corner at the blueline while he tries to find a perfect seam it’s an improvement.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Really? I dont see it... IMO it's the filter you view it through I suppose. Besides 57 years of futility, there is nothing to be negative about.
I’m not 100% convinced they make the playoffs based on the attitude of the players. They should but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If that was possible, we'd know by now.

I can't see his strengths and his weaknesses translating to the post season.

The post season isn't perimeter hockey.
You're probably right. I keep hoping it's a mental thing and he'll wake up one day but yeah, doesn't seem likely.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Only to be right back where we have started for the last 57 years... doom... gloom ... woe is me.... the other day on Overdrive Hayes "The Fraud" actually said and I'm paraphrasing ... there was a shadow cast over training camp, felt like there was negative energy coming from camp ... Jesus some people just can't be happy I guess ... not a damn game played yet and it's already over... predetermined we will Groundhog Day this season.... again...

Did you bump your head?

I'm truly glad there is/was a shadow cast over training camp.

good.

welcome to being a Leaf.

Shadows abound.

Now do something about it!!!

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If you're suggesting Marner can play a hard nosed game, and just hasn't been doing so because it hasn't been a contract year, I can't agree. I think he wants to win as much as anyone, maybe even more than anyone else on the team and has always been giving 100%. If he does play a hard nosed game in the next playoffs (unlikely as that may be), it'll be because he by some miracle figured out how to do so.
Im just suggesting even if he did it would be smoke and mirrors that the Leafs will find the excuse to sign him to an extension.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TSN's top 50 list : Connor McDavid, Nathan MacKinnon and Auston Matthews top TSN's Top 50 NHL Player list | TSN

McDavid, MacKinnon and Matthews top TSN's Top 50 NHL Player list​

TSN ranks William Nylander ahead of Mitch Marner

1728050416806.png

1728050460876.png

Reactions: Sundinisagod

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Between this and the McDavid rant, do people think that dropping the f-word a few times is leadership? Seriously?

I just don't get it. I get that emotions are high, and shouting or swearing is going to happen. I'm not trying to sensor here, don't get me wrong. But that's not some amazing example of leadership. Leaders don't just rage and point fault.

Maybe McDavid and Nylander are great leaders. But just saying "lets f*****g go" isn't an example of it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That is leadership and what a player trying to motivate his teammates would do.

Willy doesn't sit around whining and crying but rather just Do Something about it.,
Not following a set play and then crying afterwards when called out on it is about as far away from being a leader as you can get.
There's a reason why he's never been considered for a letter in all the time he's been here.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've been on these boards for 17 years and never once wanted a thread closed. I just don't click on it. Are there post or thread limits?

If a thread keeps popping up, or it has many pages, it means people want to discuss it... on a discussion board. Funny how that works.
Opposing views to the narrative are not welcomed by some here……….

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That is leadership and what a player trying to motivate his teammates would do.
Willy doesn't sit around whining and crying but rather just Do Something about it.,
Screaming, swearing, and blaming teammates for your own mistakes isn't leadership or motivating. Quite the opposite. And while it's understandable that emotions were high, he is also literally "sitting around whining". Seemingly because he messed up and was called out. Marner was the one who did something - scoring the only goal of the game in the 3rd.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Say that is true who cares? Nobody's got a gun to your head forcing you to click and read these threads.
There's two types of posters who care because they want to control the narrative:

1) The Marner PR Team who obviously have a vested interest.
2) The Tone Police who think that being a fan equates to being a cheerleader.

This is exactly it. I like Matthews, there's probably been 100000 threads on the main boards criticizing/trashing Matthews. There's no point going in there and demanding threads be closed. If I don't wanna read it, I just don't click on any of the threads.

Why does it all of a sudden become so different over here?
Simple. $$$$

Reactions: rumman

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There's two types of posters who care because they want to control the narrative:

1) The Marner PR Team who obviously have a vested interest.
2) The Tone Police who think that being a fan equates to being a cheerleader.

Simple. $$$$
Oh I'm very aware that it's about narrative control, not any sort of hockey discussion.

Btw these numbskulls whining about Nylander "swearing at teammates" and how it's not good leadership, you guys just continue to prove you have no clue about anything.

Here's Mack not only yelling at a teammate, but his own coach! Should we berate Mack for his lack of leadership too?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It's easy, as long as it's happy thoughts only, no matter how stupid or false the narrative can be, the thread stays.

Once you try to counter what are clearly paid morons from his camp, the thread gets closed.

I mean, you had to start this thread by praising Mitch for not shitting a bed in an interview.

On the bright side, they can still ship him before the season starts!
THIS^.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Might be one of the very few teams who could give him the type of contract he thinks he's worth.
Lots of positives living in Columbus, nice little town, public scrutiny would be minimal compared to a big market, won’t have to worry about the playoffs getting in the way of your golf game for the foreseeable future……….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think that depends on how the playoffs go.

He could walk if it becomes too toxic, but playing into the 3rd. round would change everything.
They could make the finals and resigning him would still be a mistake. Marner’s and JT’s cap needs to be used elsewhere, this is the reality of making the team successful………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner isn’t walking away from the leafs. The leafs might walk away from Marner but I don’t see it being the other way around unless things get really ugly.

If Marner is a UFA it’s because the team doesn’t want him
Or won’t pay what will be another overpayment, were going to find out one way or another if money is more important than being a Leaf. Of course Tre and company could pull another mid season brain fart and just capitulate to Marner’s demands mid season like they did with Styles………

Reactions: francis246

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
They could make the finals and resigning him would still be a mistake. Marner’s and JT’s cap needs to be used elsewhere, this is the reality of making the team successful………
You might want to consider their contribution to getting to the finals first. Just a thought..

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

Here's Mack not only yelling at a teammate, but his own coach! Should we berate Mack for his lack of leadership too?

It's also Mackinnon throwing things down on the bench in frustration. Do you think players should be berated for throwing things down on the bench in frustration?
I don't think anybody should be berated for yelling or throwing things down on the bench in frustration. That's the whole point. These things happen.
We just also shouldn't be mislabeling it as examples of leadership though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad