GDT: Training Camp discussion - Abruzzese on waivers and other cuts

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

honestly it might even be as simple if you do it you miss a shift.
do it again miss 3.
do it again miss a period
do it again miss a game.
Perhaps not as drastic as this but I do believe he will hold them all accountable.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Anyone who thinks Matthews is McDavid but a bit too cute, and Marner is Leon but a bit too cute is sadly mistaken.

Neither Matthews or Marner are elite puck carrying players and they need some passing to score. As we've seen, puck passing in the playoffs isn't plentiful.

Last edited:

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
In the grand scheme of things, Sundin is equally a nobody. A guy who played hockey that 99.9% of the world has never heard of.

What a weird comment.

In the grand scheme of things all of humanity we're all just an infinitely small dot on an infinitely small dot in a universe billions of light years across, so sure nothing matters...

Except to us . It matters to us.

He was freaking Captain of the Maple Leafs and this is a place we talk about it.

This is not a Wendy's sir.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It won’t be that simple. They may need a game or 2 sitting in the stands
That will never happen. You can't be successful as a coach trying to make someone into something they are not.

I figure it will take to the 20 game mark before we start to see everything Berube is trying to implement, and he might bench someone for a period or a few shifts along the way, but he won't healthy scratch anyone.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Team does think we are doing something wrong. That's why we fired all the coaches, and GM before that.

Marner is part of the reason why our PP in playoffs was 8% but not sole reason. We also have another guy at 11 million didn't do jack and 70 goal scorer who forgot to score

Marner wasn't standing around when Boston scored in OT.

Marner has his faults no doubt. But this issues you allude to have been a systematic issue

Sure. I am up for trading him if we can get another 27 year old who can put up 98 points.
For me it’s not entirely specific to Marner, it’s the core 4 itself. At this point core 3, because Tavares doesn’t really fit in their tier of play anymore

We lost in them second round, Matthews was been signed and Nylander was signed and we’ve still been losing. I’d bet on these two over Marner too because I don’t think marners style of play works in the playoffs.

We lost with babcock in the first round and we lost with keefe in the first round. We lost with Lou at the helm and we lost with dubas too.

I don’t think it’s just a systemic issue, it’s also a personel issue.

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
For me it’s not entirely specific to Marner, it’s the core 4 itself. At this point core 3, because Tavares doesn’t really fit in their tier of play anymore

We lost in them second round, Matthews was been signed and Nylander was signed and we’ve still been losing. I’d bet on these two over Marner too because I don’t think marners style of play works in the playoffs.

We lost with babcock in the first round and we lost with keefe in the first round. We lost with Lou at the helm and we lost with dubas too.

I don’t think it’s just a systemic issue, it’s also a personel issue.

I hear you. Any other time we would trade one of the top 3. But considering that Tavares contract is up after this year that leaves a massive gap. That also frees up money for Marner.

It's been a personal issue, I have always maintained that. However, I would like to see what our current personnel has under the new coach

Lets see, if Marner doesn't sign by December, I would consider him trading him on trade deadline day. I would hate to lose another asset and not get anything in return.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I hear you. Any other time we would trade one of the top 3. But considering that Tavares contract is up after this year that leaves a massive gap. That also frees up money for Marner.

It's been a personal issue, I have always maintained that. However, I would like to see what our current personnel has under the new coach

Lets see, if Marner doesn't sign by December, I would consider him trading him on trade deadline day. I would hate to lose another asset and not get anything in return.
Pretty much zero chance of that happening.

Reactions: ULF_55 and fahad203

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I don't see him being traded. Most likely scenario is if he doesn't get what he thinks he's worth he'll stand by his NTC and test the FA market.

Reactions: ULF_55 and fahad203

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Here's two quick thoughts about the lineup:

- Berube says he likes to look at forwards in pairs. The pairs that make sense to me are Marner/Nylander, Domi/Matthews, Tavares/Knies. I think that is maximizing and optimizing our "best 6 forwards," tho I think McMann can be in that group too.

- I like the idea of McCabe/Benoit as a good defensive pair and OEL/Liljegren as a good offensive pair better than the current configuration which has both pairs just okay at both ends

They can play around in preseason but I hope they stay flexible and give those a real chance.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Anyone who thinks Matthews is McDavid but a bit too cute, and Marner is Leon but a bit too cute is sadly mistaken.

Neither Matthews or Marner are elite puck carrying players and they need some passing to score. As we've seen, puck passing in the playoffs isn't plentiful.

And McDavid is not a 69 goal scorer and Draisaitl is not a winger (although he plays the wing sometimes) ... apples oranges.
I don't see him being traded. Most likely scenario is if he doesn't get what he thinks he's worth he'll stand by his NTC and test the FA market.

Something tells me that Marner is more likely to cave than Nylander was. Mitch has never lived more than a couple of hours from home, I think having Mom and dad and family around is important to him. I cant imagine him picking another city... maybe I'm reading something that is not there but I get the sense he is a Daddy's boy.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Next year re~allocate Tavares money to balance out roster. Losing Marner is unlikely going to make this team better.
This is an overly simplistic position to take.

You are making it sound like nothing will be gained by moving from Marner.

What if the $12m that Marner is expected to ask for is reallocated to be used, in part, on a true 2C and a top 4 RHD?

Is Marner really that much more valuable than other gaps that the team has?

Losing Marner and pissing money away is stupid. Losing Marner to shore up other long term positions of important need has the potential to make the team better long term.

We’ve see what this team looks like with Marner. We have not seen this team with solid depth up the middle that has Tavares, if resigned, slotted on the 3rd pairing, and a top 4 that figures to be here long term.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is an overly simplistic position to take.

You are making it sound like nothing will be gained by moving from Marner.

What if the $12m that Marner is expected to ask for is reallocated to be used, in part, on a true 2C and a top 4 RHD?

Is Marner really that much more valuable than other gaps that the team has?

Losing Marner and pissing money away is stupid. Losing Marner to shore up other long term positions of important need has the potential to make the team better long term.

We’ve see what this team looks like with Marner. We have not seen this team with solid depth up the middle that has Tavares, if resigned, slotted on the 3rd pairing, and a top 4 that figures to be here long term.
Winner winner chicken dinner……..

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
And McDavid is not a 69 goal scorer and Draisaitl is not a winger (although he plays the wing sometimes) ... apples oranges.

Something tells me that Marner is more likely to cave than Nylander was. Mitch has never lived more than a couple of hours from home, I think having Mom and dad and family around is important to him. I cant imagine him picking another city... maybe I'm reading something that is not there but I get the sense he is a Daddy's boy.
lol, not at all. Like most males he's a mommy's boy but he's also now a grownup so he'd be fine if he had to go.
Staying here is important to him, he's been told for years to leave(first time was when Marleau was signed).
He's looking for the legacy of being a career Leaf, top 2 scorer and hopefully cup champ.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I hope Holmberg gets a spot. There is a lot there, and we cannot lose him on waivers.

Still puzzled at OEL signing. I hope he surprises me.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Lorentz will be on this team.
I think 4th line will be a combo of Lorentz, Holmberg, Dewar.

Kampf is inevitably gone.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Team does think we are doing something wrong. That's why we fired all the coaches, and GM before that.

Marner is part of the reason why our PP in playoffs was 8% but not sole reason. We also have another guy at 11 million didn't do jack and 70 goal scorer who forgot to score

Marner wasn't standing around when Boston scored in OT.

Marner has his faults no doubt. But this issues you allude to have been a systematic issue

Sure. I am up for trading him if we can get another 27 year old who can put up 98 points.

Kind of.

GM was fired over a power grab attempt.

They were going to extend him, but he wanted more authority.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Team has made a decision, that is not to resign Tavares or sign him to a smaller contract

That's why Nylander is playing center this year. The plan is to resign Marner and keep Nylander

Tavares will move down or not be resigned.

I would think they'll come to an agreement, unless another team steps up with a Tanev stupid deal.

It isn't like he's fallen off the cliff like Toews or Mike Richards did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad