Rumor: Trades/Proposals: This Offseason can we transition from the "Wasted Years" to living in the Golden Y

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm sure they are willing to take a contract back but a bad contract? I just dont think Chicago makes a trade unless it helps their team in some way. They dont have to move Keith if it means shooting themselves in the foot.

I think their is a lot of back and forth between the two teams which doesnt bode well.

For starters Edmonton probably wants to make the move after expansion so they can protect Larsson, while Chicago would like to do it before expansion so they dont have to expose him to Seattle and risk losing him for nothing.

So ask yourself, does Seattle take Keith at his full contract? could be an interesting tactic if Chicago asks for too much.

Seattle selects Duncan Keith from Chicago.

Seattle sends Keith to Edmonton (with 50% retained) to for Edmontons 1st rounder, Mikko Koskinen and James Neal.

Seattle gets their 1st round pick to take on bad contracts.

Edmonton clears out 3.5M in dead cap space basically getting Keith at 2.77M for free.
Lose a 1st round pick to take on 2.5Mish LHD when we can just sign a 2.5Mish LHD (that won’t be old and rapidly declining) that can grow with this team. Meh.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have Hoffman very low on my list of preferred off-season targets. He's turning 32 in November and is probably the player most reliant on powerplay production to boost his offensive numbers. His even strength production has been in pretty consistent decline.

Probably the highest risk out of all the players mentioned along with arguably being the least versatile. Historically he plays high in the zone on the PP, so I'm not certain he'd be that great of an option.

I think Granlund might make the most sense assuming he's a guy we might want to message into a powerplay role. Historically he's been a net-front option, scores a lot of greasy goals and has that release on his shot.

Schwartz and Saad are guys I know less about, but all of them had pretty uneventful seasons. And they've all got a little James Neal potential in terms of possible regression.
Hoffman scored 28 even strength goals over the last two shortened seasons. He’s never scored more on the pp than at even strength. He has more even strength goals than granlund in every season they’ve ever been in the nhl together. Also not a fan of another small guy in the top 6. We have Nuge and Yamo as of today.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hall will cost more score less and has a way worse injury history. I’d take Hall short term if we struck out on other options though.
Score less? Doubtful. Hall is better than Hoffman. Not a sniper like Hoffman is, but overall offensive game is a step above Hoffman and most forwards in this League.

Reactions: Proko88

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Score less? Doubtful. Hall is better than Hoffman. Not a sniper like Hoffman is, but overall offensive game is a step above Hoffman and most forwards in this League.
Hall has never been a great goal scorer and has really struggled badly to score goals since his hart trophy season. He only has 36 goals total since winning the hart in 2017-18.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I wonder what a Barrie contract negotiation would sound like....

Barrie; So there you go boys.....top pairing....highest scoring defender in the league. Wheres my 7 million?
Management; .....we will have to get back to you....
Barrie; Thats ridiculous. I had the best season of anyone else out there.
Management; ...McDavid.
Barrie; What....?
Management; What?
Barrie; I mean...all you said was "McDavid" you didnt say anything else....
Management; *slides a piece of paper over to Barrie.....seemingly a salary number*
Barrie; *reads note* ....this says 4 million....?
Management; Do you accept?
Barrie; ....yes.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Lose a 1st round pick to take on 2.5Mish LHD when we can just sign a 2.5Mish LHD (that won’t be old and rapidly declining) that can grow with this team. Meh.

Losing 3.5M in dead cap for 2 years and 1.916M for 2 years after would easily be worth a 1st rounder to me.

Keith at 50% (2.77 x 2) sounds about right for a guy who can still play as your #4 and bring veteran leadership. We dont need dmen that can grow with the team, we already have too many of those.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hall has never been a great goal scorer and has really struggled badly to score goals since his hart trophy season. He only has 36 goals total since winning the hart in 2017-18.
Are we counting assists in “scoring”. Let’s not discount playmaking when assessing player value, what are we Leafs fans?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Are we counting assists in “scoring”. Let’s not discount playmaking when assessing player value, what are we Leafs fans?
Hoffman had more overall points than hall this year too in 1 less game. I want to see what Mcdavid can do with an actual high end goal scorer.

Reactions: GOilers88

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I just dont think we can afford Hall. It would have to be like 5M a year to fit him in here and I doubt hes willing to do that.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Schwartz and Saad are guys I know less about, but all of them had pretty uneventful seasons. And they've all got a little James Neal potential in terms of possible regression.

Saad interests me quite a bit. Always seemed like he played more of a power forward type game around the net anytime I've ever seen him play, which is something the Oilers are severely lacking on the roster. Has a history of playing well with star players from his time back in Chicago too.

Might even come cheaper after a couple of tough seasons. Still a bit of a risk, but he's young enough to bounce back for a few good seasons in the right situation.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hoffman scored 28 even strength goals over the last two shortened seasons. He’s never scored more on the pp than at even strength. He has more even strength goals than granlund in every season they’ve ever been in the nhl together. Also not a fan of another small guy in the top 6. We have Nuge and Yamo as of today.
Not going to argue about his goal production, but overall his point totals, ice-time, shot volume have all been slipping recently. At 32, that's an alarming development, particularly if you're signing him to a contract until he's 34-35.

Granlund looks like another skilled swiss-army knife type forward that seems to fit the team's needs like a glove. His icetime was through the roof in Nashville this season, he can play all situations and can win draws. He didn't disappear in the playoffs either.

Overall all of these guys come with significant flaws. I just see Hoffman as the biggest risk.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This time of year it is easy to throw out random post with no details and be right . I will give you one and I know I will be right .

The Edmonton Oilers will announce a UFA signing before August 1st 2021 .

I don't put much stock into anything "Treena's Oil" tweets out either which is why I said I was playing devils advocate. RNH's cap hit winding up being just a hair over 5 million was quite unexpected though.

Was it vague? Absolutely.

But then this one was tweeted out roughly a month ago when mostly everyone thought Barrie would be gone and now other media sources have said Holland and Barrie's agent are going to talk extension so who the hell knows.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I'm sure they are willing to take a contract back but a bad contract? I just dont think Chicago makes a trade unless it helps their team in some way. They dont have to move Keith if it means shooting themselves in the foot.

I think their is a lot of back and forth between the two teams which doesnt bode well.

For starters Edmonton probably wants to make the move after expansion so they can protect Larsson, while Chicago would like to do it before expansion so they dont have to expose him to Seattle and risk losing him for nothing.

So ask yourself, does Seattle take Keith at his full contract? could be an interesting tactic if Chicago asks for too much.

Seattle selects Duncan Keith from Chicago.

Seattle sends Keith to Edmonton (with 50% retained) to for Edmontons 1st rounder, Mikko Koskinen and James Neal.

Seattle gets their 1st round pick to take on bad contracts.

Edmonton clears out 3.5M in dead cap space basically getting Keith at 2.77M for free.

While this makes sense, The Kraken GM is on record as saying that one of his core strategies will be to maintain cap space. In one deal, most of his spending money disappears.

IMO, the Kraken don't take Keith even if he is unprotected. He still has a NMC so they have to keep him for the full 2 years. He is close enough to Penticton that he will not accept a trade away.

With teams only protecting 3 or 4 dmen, there will be many cheaper 2nd pairing dmen available to them

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Saad interests me quite a bit. Always seemed like he played more of a power forward type game around the net anytime I've ever seen him play, which is something the Oilers are severely lacking on the roster. Has a history of playing well with star players from his time back in Chicago too.

Might even come cheaper after a couple of tough seasons. Still a bit of a risk, but he's young enough to bounce back for a few good seasons in the right situation.
I agree on the power forward comment but they've always been a bit of a mystery to the Oilers. They're not exactly the kinds of players that age well going into their 30s. We've seen that with Lucic, saw that with Maroon once he left and Neal was a slug before he got here.

Saad worries me because he's played a lot of hockey. And Colorado used him sparingly for whatever reason this season. That kinda stuff stands out to me because you'd think that he's a guy who should be making a big difference.

Just to touch on Granlund again. Look at how he used in the playoffs by Nashville. 23 minutes a night! Significantly more than Duchene, Johansen, Arvidsson, Forsberg... Hynes was a fan.

If Nashville doesn't bring him back, I'd be more than happy signing him as an impact player. He's not the 3C that some people are viewing him as.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
While this makes sense, The Kraken GM is on record as saying that one of his core strategies will be to maintain cap space. In one deal, most of his spending money disappears.

IMO, the Kraken don't take Keith even if he is unprotected. He still has a NMC so they have to keep him for the full 2 years. He is close enough to Penticton that he will not accept a trade away.

With teams only protecting 3 or 4 dmen, there will be many cheaper 2nd pairing dmen available to them
I think your right. As of right now their left side could very well comprise of Giordano, Graves and McDonagh.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Saad would be great but I think it’s a long shot he signs here.
Not going to argue about his goal production, but overall his point totals, ice-time, shot volume have all been slipping recently. At 32, that's an alarming development, particularly if you're signing him to a contract until he's 34-35.

Granlund looks like another skilled swiss-army knife type forward that seems to fit the team's needs like a glove. His icetime was through the roof in Nashville this season, he can play all situations and can win draws. He didn't disappear in the playoffs either.

Overall all of these guys come with significant flaws. I just see Hoffman as the biggest risk.
We just signed a better version of granlund for 8 years. I don’t have much interest in another small ok at everything not really great at anything type of player.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I think your right. As of right now their left side could very well comprise of Giordano, Graves and McDonagh.
They could on paper look better than even Vegas their first season. Whether they recreate the magic is another story especially with that coach lolol

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They could on paper look better than even Vegas their first season. Whether they recreate the magic is another story especially with that coach lolol
Their d and goaltending will be strong. Their forwards are going to be brutal though.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We just signed a better version of granlund for 8 years. I don’t have much interest in another small ok at everything not really great at anything type of player.
I'd take three of those players if it meant guys like Kahun never saw significant time on our scoring lines. I'd also prefer to never see another Patrick Russell or Gaetan Haas on this roster.

You're also speaking as if size is a considerable feature in Hoffman's game. It isn't. He's a volume shooter who's shooting with less volume.

Shopping for goals is one thing, but you need to remember that this is a player who needs to play a lot of hockey in between the 20-30 times a year he gets to celebrate them. When Hoffman is not scoring goals, he hasn't been a very effective hockey player. It's the reason why teams shied away from giving him term and is the reason why he's been seeing less and less ice.

Granlund (5.25) - McDavid (12.5) - JP (1.175)
RNH (5.125) - Draisaitl (8.5) - Yamamoto (~3)

This to me looks like a skilled top six that comes in at a cost low enough to give us sufficient cap to address the line below it, which is probably the biggest issue this summer after addressing the defense.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I think we’re going to end up picking up a RHD and moving bear to Seattle for a pre arranged player that Holland wants
I really see him using this draft (or trying) to shed some cap and pickup a piece or two we need
Essentially we could almost get any of the no. Protected goalies if we pay enough to have Seattle pick vs player they may want

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd take three of those players if it meant guys like Kahun never saw significant time on our scoring lines. I'd also prefer to never see another Patrick Russell or Gaetan Haas on this roster.

You're also speaking as if size is a considerable feature in Hoffman's game. It isn't. He's a volume shooter who's shooting with less volume.

Shopping for goals is one thing, but you need to remember that this is a player who needs to play a lot of hockey in between the 20-30 times a year he gets to celebrate them. When Hoffman is not scoring goals, he hasn't been a very effective hockey player. It's the reason why teams shied away from giving him term and is the reason why he's been seeing less and less ice.

This to me looks like a skilled top six that comes in at a cost low enough to give us sufficient cap to address the line below it, which is probably the biggest issue this summer after addressing the defense.
That top 6 is butter soft and would not get it done in the playoffs. Nuge, Yamo and Grandlund is half of your top 6 your going nowhere. Even skill wise if Nuge is still your 3rd most skilled forward that’s hardly an upgrade. 5+ mil Granlund is also insanity. You could make a nice bid on Danault for those numbers who is the best defensive forward in the nhl.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't have much interest in Granlund.

He's a guy who manages 40 points with top line and #1 PP minutes.

Bring him here, throw him on the second PP unit and you're looking at a small 30 point forward that doesn't help you much.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Is that the top 6 that's supposed to take the Oilers to a 2nd/3rd round in the playoffs?

I don't see it, they'll get shut down and bullied in the playoffs. Not enough size or skill.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That top 6 is butter soft and would not get it done in the playoffs. Nuge, Yamo and Grandlund is half of your top 6 your going nowhere. Even skill wise if Nuge is still your 3rd most skilled forward that’s hardly an upgrade. 5+ mil Granlund is also insanity. You could make a nice bid on Danault for those numbers who is the best defensive forward in the nhl.
I'm not even looking at the playoffs. There's an 82 game season that needs to be played before you even get there each and every year. Size, grit and/or truculence is something that can be added at the trade deadline. I'm looking at players who bring the most to the table who are likely to bring the most value throughout the entire term of their deal.

If I'm looking at a player to play with Connor McDavid, I'm looking for a player who can handle a bigger workload. Out of the guys I mentioned, only Granlund was the one who did last season. The others saw the ice about as frequently as Jesse Puljujarvi who was significantly sheltered.

Danault, Hyman and Hall all fall into that description too, but their salary demands probably push them far higher than $5.25m.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't have much interest in Granlund.

He's a guy who manages 40 points with top line and #1 PP minutes.

Bring him here, throw him on the second PP unit and you're looking at a small 30 point forward that doesn't help you much.
I think Granlund would be a net-front option for PP1. 40 points in Nashville is a lot more in Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad