Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Realistically the cap could be at 110 in 3 years. 4.5 next season to 92.5 as reported today. Then a couple of close to 10 million bumps to correct the hold back caused by Covid and escrow.

Based on revenue 110 is not far off then. Which would mean the average salary of a player on a 23 man roster is about 5 million.

Costwise McCabe at 5 is ok but 6 years term might be an issue when combined with the other 3 d we have long term who are also older. We need at least one if not 2 young D who are part of the long term program. I’d rather 5 x 5.5 then 6 x 5.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You either pay a defensemen like McCabe that kind of money in UFA or you re-sign the one you already have. Sometimes it just makes more sense to re-sign the one you already have.

If he signs that contract, he's the whipping boy by about Thanksgiving.
I don't think so at all. He plays more than a solid enough defensive game to avoid that reputation and always puts in good effort.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You either pay a defensemen like McCabe that kind of money in UFA or you re-sign the one you already have. Sometimes it just makes more sense to re-sign the one you already have.

I don't think so at all. He plays more than a solid enough defensive game to avoid that reputation and always puts in good effort.

He does compete hard, but he also makes horrible decisions. As soon as he’s paid, the negatives will get noticed.

Man some of y'all have unrealistic expectations of contracts. 5 mil will be nothing in a couple more seasons. McCabe is a cultural touchstone for this team. Guy is a warrior and exactly the kind of player you want in the playoffs.

You want him as your #5 defenseman…

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
They need to start Holmberg at 4c this year. If he plays well, maybe in another year, he can be a pseudo 3c. It probably will not happen. But they have to create the opporunities. There is little forward planning at this club.

Minten missing training camp was a missed opportunity. I would have liked to see his level with the NHLers.

He should get some call ups this year.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Only because we’re surrounded by idiots.

Which defenseman whipping boy left and became good? Larry Murphy was a long time ago.

Were the fans who disliked Justin Holl idiots? How about Jake Gardner?

McCabe makes 4M now, even if we are only paying him 2M. 5-5.2M under a 92M+ cap is very reasonable

McCabe counts for 2m on our cap.

He was good last year, but I would be very worried that was an aberration.

Not a chance. Leaf fans have a history of loving these types of players regardless of salary.

And those types of players have a history of declining rapidly after 30.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Which defenseman whipping boy left and became good? Larry Murphy was a long time ago.

Where did I imply any have? I’m sure there are examples but I don’t care to really think it through.

It also has nothing to do with what I said.

McCabe going from being loved to a whipping boy for making $1M more than he currently makes (against a substantially higher salary cap) is dumb unless he takes a notable step back which isn’t likely to happen in the immediate future.

Yes, I said he makes $2M on our cap. That doesn’t change that he’s currently a $4M player though. Based on 92M cap the equivalent to that deal is over 4.5M. Something around 5M is totally fine. I’d prefer shorter term. He could become a whipping boy at the end when he’s no longer worth it

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Where did I imply any have? I’m sure there are examples but I don’t care to really think it through.

It also has nothing to do with what I said.

You implied that people would only dislike him because they’re idiots. From that, I inferred that you meant to reference the fans’ reaction to past defensemen.

McCabe going from being loved to a whipping boy for making $1M more than he currently makes (against a substantially higher salary cap) is dumb unless he takes a notable step back which isn’t likely to happen in the immediate future.

His cap his sounds like it will almost triple.

Yes, I said he makes $2M on our cap. That doesn’t change that he’s currently a $4M player though. Based on 92M cap the equivalent to that deal is over 4.5M. Something around 5M is totally fine. I’d prefer shorter term. He could become a whipping boy at the end when he’s no longer worth it

Nobody cares how much money a player makes - they only care how that player impacts the cap.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You implied that people would only dislike him because they’re idiots. From that, I inferred that you meant to reference the fans’ reaction to past defensemen.

His cap his sounds like it will almost triple.

Nobody cares how much money a player makes - they only care how that player impacts the cap.

Yes, I understand that, but if people are going to complain about the cap hit of a player, they should also understand that we paid extra in assets to artificially have him for well under his market value for years come the end of the season. He’s not a $2M dollar player.

And no, I implied that people who turn on him by Thanksgiving simply for being the same player but making his market value are idiots. That’s a very different sentiment

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

And those types of players have a history of declining rapidly after 30.
The way he plays, he'll most likely be an LTIR candidate in years 5 and 6.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The people that think Marner and Tavares will be gone next year are out to lunch.

Marner will re-sign and likely get around a million dollar increase on what he makes right now.

Tavares will be back around 4-5 million. Lower if they go longer term.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
McCabe is awesome and I want him back, but 6 years is a tad much for me at that cap hit. Would like it more at the Tanev number for that length.

We will have Rielly, Tanev, McCabe, and OEL locked up till their late 30's though.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I like McCabe but I have a bad feeling he’s going to end up like Muzzin where he’s constantly dealing with injuries and we have neither a D you can expect to play 70+ games nor the cap space to get a new one in FA.

You can have one of those guys but it gets tough with an aging Rielly, Tanev, OEL, Hakanpaa all in the same boat and your only 2 prime aged guys are bottom pair options one of whom has his own injury problems. We’ll see how Berube uses them but with the lack of mobility on the back end these guys are probably going to be eating a lot of pucks to the body and taking attrition damage in the corners.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I do, he showed it when he single handedly took over game 3 against the B's. Can he sustain that over 3-4 rounds? I don't know, but he's not falling down constantly whining to the refs on every play like Mitch is when the playoffs start
For me one game in 7 years means matthews is just as much to blame as Mitch
Both can’t make a difference when it counts
Like game 7 for example

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The term is irrelevant. If the Leafs haven't won within 4-6 years they'll likely have to retool/rebuild anyways.

5 or 6 years for 5 mil is fair value for him. Sign him up.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad