Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Realistically the cap could be at 110 in 3 years. 4.5 next season to 92.5 as reported today. Then a couple of close to 10 million bumps to correct the hold back caused by Covid and escrow.

Based on revenue 110 is not far off then. Which would mean the average salary of a player on a 23 man roster is about 5 million.

Costwise McCabe at 5 is ok but 6 years term might be an issue when combined with the other 3 d we have long term who are also older. We need at least one if not 2 young D who are part of the long term program. I’d rather 5 x 5.5 then 6 x 5.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You either pay a defensemen like McCabe that kind of money in UFA or you re-sign the one you already have. Sometimes it just makes more sense to re-sign the one you already have.

If he signs that contract, he's the whipping boy by about Thanksgiving.
I don't think so at all. He plays more than a solid enough defensive game to avoid that reputation and always puts in good effort.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You either pay a defensemen like McCabe that kind of money in UFA or you re-sign the one you already have. Sometimes it just makes more sense to re-sign the one you already have.

I don't think so at all. He plays more than a solid enough defensive game to avoid that reputation and always puts in good effort.

He does compete hard, but he also makes horrible decisions. As soon as he’s paid, the negatives will get noticed.

Man some of y'all have unrealistic expectations of contracts. 5 mil will be nothing in a couple more seasons. McCabe is a cultural touchstone for this team. Guy is a warrior and exactly the kind of player you want in the playoffs.

You want him as your #5 defenseman…

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
They need to start Holmberg at 4c this year. If he plays well, maybe in another year, he can be a pseudo 3c. It probably will not happen. But they have to create the opporunities. There is little forward planning at this club.

Minten missing training camp was a missed opportunity. I would have liked to see his level with the NHLers.

He should get some call ups this year.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Only because we’re surrounded by idiots.

Which defenseman whipping boy left and became good? Larry Murphy was a long time ago.

Were the fans who disliked Justin Holl idiots? How about Jake Gardner?

McCabe makes 4M now, even if we are only paying him 2M. 5-5.2M under a 92M+ cap is very reasonable

McCabe counts for 2m on our cap.

He was good last year, but I would be very worried that was an aberration.

Not a chance. Leaf fans have a history of loving these types of players regardless of salary.

And those types of players have a history of declining rapidly after 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad