Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That seems like a lot of excuses for not making a trade. It's not that complicated and there were plenty of capable assets to put in play with varying amounts of value. Not all players and prospects have 0 value, let's get real.

Treliving traded a lot of picks this past deadline just like any other GM that was here before, pointing to the lack of picks.

You can blame everything on the previous GM if you want, I'll just stay in the present.

Yep. GMs are paid a ton of money to be able to make trades and uncover unexpected deals. It's not supposed to be an easy job. If Tre can't do it, he wasn't the right man for the task

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

1727905850036.png

1727905867514.png

I'm definitely guessing at Marner and Pettersson contracts.

Even though Robertson is signed, Holmberg is RFA and Timmins is too but no idea if Jarnkrok and/or Liljegren is actually traded this year as an example, hard to predict the future.

I did a 92.5M cap as Bettman said they were working off of.

Maybe Holmberg 4C instead, in fact probably a safer bet.

I would like to find room for Trent Frederic like 4M x 6 years, functional toughness.

Not sure how to feel about Domi at 2C but don't think I would want JT at 2C either

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
View attachment 911770

View attachment 911771

I'm definitely guessing at Marner and Pettersson contracts.

Even though Robertson is signed, Holmberg is RFA and Timmins is too but no idea if Jarnkrok and/or Liljegren is actually traded this year as an example, hard to predict the future.

I did a 92.5M cap as Bettman said they were working off of.

Maybe Holmberg 4C instead, in fact probably a safer bet.

I would like to find room for Trent Frederic like 4M x 6 years, functional toughness.

Not sure how to feel about Domi at 2C but don't think I would want JT at 2C either

I feel like adding another 6M defenseman long-term is not really needed in the next year. It's very overkill. All that money should go towards the forwards because those forward lines are pretty bad depth wise, especially at center.

Say what you want about JT but if both sides want to make it work at below market value, they should 1000% do it, and whatever money left over you can bolster it up further.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe I'm misremembering or something but when I watch this team come playoff time we can't score for **** and currently have a massive hole at middle 6C were hoping to fill with one of the best RW in the league

So I'm wondering why everyone on here is talking about acquiring another defenseman, after we spent 10M on cap space this offseason strengthening that area rather than trying to sort out the massive glaring hole in the lineup

Every dollar, every asset should be used sorting it out because Nylander needs to be in the best position possible to help us win and that may very well be on the RW

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Like McCabe but he'll be 31 in a week or two. Another long term deal isn't ideal

They're trying to win a cup or 2 or 3 in that window I guess, or maybe just a few rounds. They are really foregoing long-term cap risks. You won't get much better than him in free agency for 5M, but the player might be younger.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I feel like adding another 6M defenseman long-term is not really needed in the next year. It's very overkill. All that money will go towards upfront because those forward lines are pretty bad depth wise.

I don't disagree, I don't run the team but 28 year Marcus Pettersson seems like a smarter bet than 31 year old Jake McCabe. McCabe has a bit more physicality and can play both sides but I think Pettersson defensively is just better and would offer an option that's actually a bit younger as we'd be a bit older back there.

Depending on how Timmins, Robertson etc all went down, forward is definitely a need and my god centre is a black hole currently but not a lot available in UFA either.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Maybe I'm misremembering or something but when I watch this team come playoff time we can't score for **** and currently have a massive hole at middle 6C were hoping to fill with one of the best RW in the league

So I'm wondering why everyone on here is talking about acquiring another defenseman, after we spent 10M on cap space this offseason strengthening that area rather than trying to sort out the massive glaring hole in the lineup

Every dollar, every asset should be used sorting it out because Nylander needs to be in the best position possible to help us win and that may very well be on the RW
Just because you spend money on it doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Swapping Brodie and Giordano for Tanev and OEL for me wasn't as much of an improvement as I hoped for in the summer. We'll see how it looks throughout the season.

I agree on finding the middle 6 C, however, but this GM seems to have an issue making trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad