Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It is pretty wild he's done really nothing. Barely even a prospect swap trade or anything. Usually when a GM is changed after the team struggling in one way or another, the core is changed or a big part of the team is changed.... that hasn't really happened.

Perhaps he thinks the team is good enough, with the right leadership and coaching?

He has remade the defense, with best he could with the budget he had. Am I thrilled with the changes? No. Is it better, I believe so. Is it a self inflicted timebomb ... probably.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It is pretty wild he's done really nothing. Barely even a prospect swap trade or anything. Usually when a GM is changed after the team struggling in one way or another, the core is changed or a big part of the team is changed.... that hasn't really happened.
Team lineup last playoff series under Dubas.

Bunting Matthews Marner
O'Reilly Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot Kampf Jarnkrok
Acciari Lafferty ZAR
Knies

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Holl
Giordano Liljegren
Brodie

Woll
Samsonov

11 of these players are gone, 11 remain. So he's changed half of the lineup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Team lineup last playoff series under Dubas.

Bunting Matthews Marner
O'Reilly Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot Kampf Jarnkrok
Acciari Lafferty ZAR
Knies

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Holl
Giordano Liljegren
Brodie

Woll
Samsonov

11 of these players are gone, 11 remain. So he's changed half of the lineup.

All free agents or prospects drafted from a different boss. Nothing via trade unless you count Tanev as a trade. The main core is still very much here.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
This has been floated here before, but I would love to take a run at acquiring Rasmus Andersson. This files so many holes for us, and really solidifies all of our pairings. He has two more years at 4.5.

Trade Liljegren + Niemela + 2025 2nd for Andersson. (Maybe not enough?)

Rielly - Tanev

OEL - McCabe

Benoit - Andersson

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
This has been floated here before, but I would love to take a run at acquiring Rasmus Andersson. This files so many holes for us, and really solidifies all of our pairings. He has two more years at 4.5.

Trade Liljegren + Niemela + 2025 2nd for Andersson. (Maybe not enough?)

Rielly - Tanev

OEL - McCabe

Benoit - Andersson
Definitely not enough and he is NOT a third pairing defender. :laugh:

Reactions: LeafChief

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So cup-winning centres are on on pace for 30 points? Kampf being in the low 20s seems to be exactly what I said it was… below average, but not by a lot.

Karlsson played like 18 minutes a night. That’s almost first line ice time. As I explained already, they had centres that plays a lot of time on wing with each other. The points they scored weren’t all scored in the capacity of 3c. Roy playing 15 minutes per night, all in the capacity of a 3c is a lot closer to a fair comparison.

As I said before, people seem to think 3Cs should be scoring 50+ points when the fact is most 2Cs don’t even do that…
30 ESP is a big jump from 20. Karlsson played 13:29 ES in their cup win. We had 3 C's with more than that in our first round that year, 4 if you want to include Accciari. One benefit of a good 3C is you can roll them up in the lineup and leverage as a 2nd C for draws. Though it doesn't look like VGK did that as much as we've seen with the Leafs and Matthews seeing time with Tavares, Domi spotting in as 3C and wing, ROR jumping up, etc. Karlsson spent most of his time with Smith and Roy/Amadio/Kessel in that cup win. Very little ES time with Eichel and Stephenson. Eichel and Stephenson were together but it wasn't in withers top 2 line setups so they primarily ran C on their own line.

I'd love a 50 pt 3C, but my expectations are more in line with some other 3rd liners I mentioned earlier like Engvall, Kerfoot and Mik. In the 35-50 pt realm. The good news is we don't really use Kampf as a 3C because he's shown he can't handle it. Unfortunately he's paid in-between a 4C and a solid 3C, so it leaves him in an awkward spot with our roster construction

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
30 ESP is a big jump from 20.

27 from 24 isn’t…

Kampf scored 22 and 24 when he played 3rd line. The last 3 cup winners had 3Cs who scored fewer than 30 points.

Karlsson played 13:29 ES in their cup win.

Thats still top-6 ice time…

We had 3 C's with more than that in our first round that year

Just like Vegas, our centres played together quite a bit, even at even strength.

4 if you want to include Accciari.

Why would you count a guy who barely played center?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
27 from 24 isn’t…

Kampf scored 22 and 24 when he played 3rd line. The last 3 cup winners had 3Cs who scored fewer than 30 points.
30+ point pace for all of Lundell, Karlsson and Compher, no?

Thats still top-6 ice time…
Certainly nice when your 3C can spot up and take on minutes. We see it often with cup winners. Its a shift more a game than Kampf in his 3C season fwiw.

Last year was our worst C depth in some time and Kamp's minutes continued on a downward trend. His role is being more limited and its reflected in production. I just don't get the appeal in suggesting he's good enough. It doesn't look like it's accurate in the numbers or his actual play.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kampf + pick(s) + (Timmins, Abruzzese) for Granlund @50%.
Move Jarnkrok separately.

If Nylander doesn't work out at C... you can run

Knies Matthews Marner
Domi Granlund Nylander
McMann Tavares Robertson
Patches Holmberg Lorentz
Dewar Reaves

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think he has been given the parameters of what he can do, and I think removing pieces from the roster is not within those parameters. When a GM with a history of making deals suddenly stops making any...

sadly I would guess 30% former, 70% latter ..... and that does not bode well for the marner/tavares situation
I think it's 100% the latter, and I agree that it portends what will happen with Marner and Tavares.

Reactions: freshwind

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Knies Matthews Marner
Domi Granlund Nylander
McMann Tavares Robertson
Patches Holmberg Lorentz
Dewar Reaves
Would be a shrewd move

Only concern is that 2nd line would suck in their own zone.

I was hoping we target Bjugstad instead of Granlund to be 2C/play with Nylander

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Granlund is pretty good defensively..so that was the thought there.
Really?

Pens fans hated him when he was there and that is when I viewed him a decent bit. He spent quite a bit of time at wing there so may have had to do with him being lazier and less engaged defensively

In Minny I dont remember if he was playing C routinely and whether he was a positive defensive player or not. The wild were a strong defensive system and well coached team so he may have been a good fit there

If he is a positive defensive player who can play center and be a good in zone defensive player then I'd be all for targetting him

Kampf + 2nd or 3rd + timmins for Granlund@50%

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
30+ point pace for all of Lundell, Karlsson and Compher, no?

30 point pace for Lundell and Compher, which they may or may it have continued if they played 82 games.

Karlsson didn’t play a 3C role any more than O’Rielly did when he was here.

Certainly nice when your 3C can spot up and take on minutes. We see it often with cup winners. It’s a shift more a game than Kampf in his 3C season fwiw.

It is nice, but it’s a different situation. You aren’t just getting more ice time, you’re taking it away from someone else.

Last year was our worst C depth in some time and Kamp's minutes continued on a downward trend. His role is being more limited and its reflected in production. I just don't get the appeal in suggesting he's good enough. It doesn't look like it's accurate in the numbers or his actual play.

Keefe did a really bad job, what can I say?

There’s a difference between thinking he’s a good 3c and thinking he better than Holmberg. Those are completely different issues. I don’t think I’ve ever said Kampf is a great 3c… but that’s not the same as thinking he’s the best option available right now. I think Kampf is a below average 3c AND he’s way better than Holmberg.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Knies Matthews Marner
Domi Granlund Nylander
McMann Tavares Robertson
Patches Holmberg Lorentz
Dewar Reaves

If LA is a bit desperate to replace Doughty’s minutes on the right side…. Perhaps a Liljegren and Kampf for Danault swap could tempt them. If Byfield makes the move to C, it makes sense to reduce Danault’s ice time, which is a bit of a waste.

Danault would give us a super-elite 3c to go behind Tavares and Matthews, and he would also be able to take all of the responsibilities vacated by Kampf.

Downside is we wouldn’t be able to carry more than 1 spare.

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Domi-Tavares-Marner
McMann-Danault-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Dewar-Grebenkin
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
Larsson-McCabe
Benoit-Hakenpaa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad