Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We should really extend Knies before playing him with Matthews/Marner

I'd be as aggressive as possible to get him locked in at 7-8 years.

The Leafs have a potential to get a fantastic valued contract. Once he asserts himself as a legit top six power forward his contract asks will increase dramatically, so going short term and cheap I think will backfire in the medium to long term

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I'd be as aggressive as possible to get him locked in at 7-8 years.

The Leafs have a potential to get a fantastic valued contract. Once he asserts himself as a legit top six power forward his contract asks will increase dramatically, so going short term and cheap I think will backfire in the medium to long term
It really would be nice to see management learn from past mistakes/failures.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wild card here is Murray, who we shouldn’t be sleeping on.

If he is fully healed and healthy and can return to form, you have a Stanley Cup winning former starting goalie, who is only 30 years old, signed for $900k.

That is an asset that will have demand, and very quickly.

To me, Matt Murray represents a real wild card to our crease situation.

It’s nice to see.

I'm not so high on him...I mean before he got shut down, he was routinely letting in 4-5 goals a game.

I figured we waive him and he travels with the team as an e-bug and maybe you give him spot starts in the AHL to keep him fresh but he's a nice E-bug. I could totally be wrong though on that situation.

I would prefer to get Hildeby some starts if we run into injury problems in the NHL.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I'm not so high on him...I mean before he got shut down, he was routinely letting in 4-5 goals a game.

I figured we waive him and he travels with the team as an e-bug and maybe you give him spot starts in the AHL to keep him fresh but he's a nice E-bug. I could totally be wrong though on that situation.

I would prefer to get Hildeby some starts if we run into injury problems in the NHL.
I don’t think you can compare a goalie needing hip surgery to one who had hip surgery and has rested for a year.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, he has, as anyone with access to stats can tell. Look at the data on his shot selection in the playoffs, simply becomes more of a peripheral player, which matches the eye test. And no, Game 1 is not the same as Game 7.
Every playoff game is worth the same, and have their own unique pressures. If Nylander did better in games 1-4, we wouldn't need games 5-7 in the first place. One cannot just pick out a minority of arbitrary games, and declare the scoring leader in those specific games to be the better player. Especially when the sample is meaningless. You can't claim game importance when you're excluding elimination games in favour of random game 5s, and you can't claim scoring difficulty when you're including game 5s and 6s that historically have no difference in scoring levels relative to earlier games.

With access to stats, we can tell that many of these claims are wrong. We can see that his shot selection is fine. We can see that some took a stat about Marner's shot distance increasing in the playoffs one year, and started making incorrect assumptions about him being a peripheral player. When it was actually just a result of two mundane things. A dump in from neutral ice counting and skewing the numbers, and two extra shots than average from the blueline, because we ran a set play against Vasilevsky's weakness. Those extra shots were goals, for the record. Just goes to show how poorly a stat can be interpreted, when you only make assumptions from the surface.

Similarly, the actual difference within elimination games remains negligible. Marner's underlying stats remain strong, and he contributes to the 2nd most goals and 2nd fewest goals against among our core 4. The production difference is a whole 3 points. Negligible to begin with, and even more-so when you realize that the difference is primarily just Marner picking up a bit less credit on the goals he contributed to in this particular sample, while playing better defensively in tougher matchups.

Marner has been the better player in both the regular season and playoffs, and there is really zero argument for his contract to be less than Nylander's.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Okay how in the shit does Guenther get 8x7 while Mercer gets 3x4?

Mercer bridged, betting that in three years, he can get paid much more with better play, and an increased cap.

Guenther is locked in for eight years... guaranteed money, gamble by Utah that he's going to continue to get better.

Reactions: Buds17

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I would, but I think they could get him for a bit less than that right now, even for 8 years
I think I'd be okay with up to 6x8yrs at this point. However, I wouldn't be suprised if they try to do a lower cap deal for 3-4 years... You have to imagine that most of Brad's moves will be based around how to get the most value out of team during Matthews current contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad