Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
It's pretty obvious that he's not.

If Florida loses Barkov and Tkachuk, they lose. Heck, if they just lose Bobrovsky, they lose.
Is it? The playoffs would disagree with you there. The superior skating ability and shot threat enable 88 to thrive in the post-season even as it gets tighter.

Marner not so much, say what you will, and I've heard all the arguments before, the speed and structure of the playoffs do not lend themselves well to his game. He is still an outstanding player, but to proclaim him as obviously better than Nylander is something I take umbridge with.

When the games have mattered the most, it has consistently been Willy who has played well; be it statwise or eye-test wise.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is it? The playoffs would disagree with you there. The superior skating ability and shot threat enable 88 to thrive in the post-season even as it gets tighter.

Marner not so much, say what you will, and I've heard all the arguments before, the speed and structure of the playoffs do not lend themselves well to his game. He is still an outstanding player, but to proclaim him as obviously better than Nylander is something I take umbridge with.

When the games have mattered the most, it has consistently been Willy who has played well; be it statwise or eye-test wise.
Playoffs
43 points in 51 Games, +1
50 points in 57 Games, +10

Regular Season
528 points in 603 Games, +24
639 points in 576 games, +110

Both can be better in the playoffs.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Mitch Marner Playoffs
Games 1-4:
39 points in 36 games= 1.08 PPG

Games 5-7:
9 points in 21 games= 0.43 PPG

William Nylander Playoffs
Games 1-4:
26 points in 33 games= 0.79 PPG

Games 5-7:
17 points in 21 games= 0.81 PPG

As the series goes along and the games get more important, Marner falls off heavily while Nylander remains consistent.
It really isn't close

Reactions: Jmo89 and Skullz

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It really was just Marner, they wouldn’t have moved JT. I think it’s irrelevant. They chose to keep Marner. Marner also didn’t say he wouldn’t waive.
You originally said "players' so I went with that, but I agree they likely wouldn't move JT even if it was possible.

According to everything I've heard, Marner's agent very clearly said he wouldn't waive, so they didn't have a choice.

We'll have a better idea of their intent for both after this season.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We have a 2nd round pick this year

I hope we can use that + Niemela at the deadline to add a strong 3C or top 4D who has 2 playoff runs left.

Jack McBain or Nick Bjugstad could be options at the deadline for the 3C role

Top4D could be a Connor Murphy or Will Borgen if they are made available

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Is it? The playoffs would disagree with you there. The superior skating ability and shot threat enable 88 to thrive in the post-season even as it gets tighter. Marner not so much, say what you will, and I've heard all the arguments before, the speed and structure of the playoffs do not lend themselves well to his game. He is still an outstanding player, but to proclaim him as obviously better than Nylander is something I take umbridge with. When the games have mattered the most, it has consistently been Willy who has played well; be it statwise or eye-test wise.
Yes, it is obvious. Marner has been the better player in both the regular season and playoffs; both statwise and eye-test wise.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You originally said "players' so I went with that, but I agree they likely wouldn't move JT even if it was possible.

According to everything I've heard, Marner's agent very clearly said he wouldn't waive, so they didn't have a choice.

We'll have a better idea of their intent for both after this season.
This is the quote, that everything comes from.

“The focus for Marner is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there,” LeBrun writes.

Read into that what you might.

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mitch Marner Playoffs
Games 1-4:
39 points in 36 games= 1.08 PPG

Games 5-7:
9 points in 21 games= 0.43 PPG

William Nylander Playoffs
Games 1-4:
26 points in 33 games= 0.79 PPG

Games 5-7:
17 points in 21 games= 0.81 PPG

As the series goes along and the games get more important, Marner falls off heavily while Nylander remains consistent.
It really isn't close

Where does lie the Captain?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is the quote, that everything comes from.

“The focus for Marner is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there,” LeBrun writes.

Read into that what you might.
best scenario for everyone involved is for 16 to play out his contract and negotiate in the off season, after all he doesn't want to play anywhere else, right?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He has been a ghost in games 5-7. This is well documented.
No, he hasn't. Some people have just worked to cut and paste together a really misleading picture without actually understanding it.
Of our core 4 in elimination games, Marner has contributed to the 2nd most goals for and 2nd fewest goals against. He's just picked up point credit on a couple less goals.
All playoff games are worth the same anyway, and overall, Marner has been better.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
No, he hasn't. Some people have just worked to cut and paste together a really misleading picture without actually understanding it.
All playoff games are worth the same anyway, and overall, Marner has been better.
Yes, he has, as anyone with access to stats can tell. Look at the data on his shot selection in the playoffs, simply becomes more of a peripheral player, which matches the eye test. And no, Game 1 is not the same as Game 7. There's a reason there's an aura around players such as Justin Williams and Patrick Kane. It is unfair to compare Marner and others to them, I agree, but it is easier to score in Game 1 than Game 7 typically.

I typically really respect your opinion, but vis-a-vis Marnear you are rarely rational.

We should really extend Knies before playing him with Matthews/Marner
5 by 8?

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Woll has gotten over the durability issues of the past and Stolarz is solid, I see a lot of teams asking for Hildeby in a trade. They were asking last year according to Friedman and I had heard from people I trust that the Samsonov/Murray year that teams (including Florida) were asking about Woll. Goaltending is such a volatile position and a few teams did miss out on Askarov, I know Hildeby isn't in that universe for caliber of prospect but if he has a strong AHL season, teams will take note.

I know we have a 2nd round pick this year but other assets are likely going to be Hildeby, Robertson, Hirvonen and maybe Liljegren depending on how it works out with him and Berube.

I believe next year that Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin and possibly Niemela are making the jump to the NHL.

Following that Chadwick, Danford and Ahkymatov are probably in the "next wave" conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad