Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm sure they'll look at some options like JVR, Clutterbuck and Hoffman but the trade route could be viable. What Columbus needs is salary to reach the floor comfortably. They won't have any issues finding options but I think the Leafs could be good trading partners.

We certainly aren't lacking forwards if there looking for some
Even the forward prospects look good

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm sure they'll look at some options like JVR, Clutterbuck and Hoffman but the trade route could be viable. What Columbus needs is salary to reach the floor comfortably. They won't have any issues finding options but I think the Leafs could be good trading partners.
They should be looking for guys with a year left they can move at the TDL. A Monahan type trade like MTL pulled off would be the dream for them

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Our forward depth is pretty solid including the PTOs.

C:
Matthews
Tavares
Domi
Holmberg
Kampf

LW:
Knies
Robertson
McMann
Pacioretty
Grebyonkin
Lorentz

RW:
Marner
Nylander
Jarnkrok
Dewar
Reaves

I feel like probably 2 guys get moved (minus PTOs) You'd have to think 1 at the very least.

Reactions: SprDaVE

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It’s not likely to go this way but I’d love the third line to Willy’s offensive show.
Say he lines up with Kampf and Holmberg, he can be free to fly around with the puck.
Or better yet, Holmberg and Geb, though I think the numbers game prevents that some.
I also don’t see it happening, but I wouldn’t mind Cowan sticking around the year on the fourth line with Dewar and Bobby McMann. Lots of energy, includes one pk pair and at least two guys who can slide up for the odd shift here and there.
It won’t be the priority, but man, you could see some guys gettting shipped for picks and that facilitating more of a youth wave.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s not likely to go this way but I’d love the third line to Willy’s offensive show.
Say he lines up with Kampf and Holmberg, he can be free to fly around with the puck.
Or better yet, Holmberg and Geb, though I think the numbers game prevents that some.
I also don’t see it happening, but I wouldn’t mind Cowan sticking around the year on the fourth line with Dewar and Bobby McMann. Lots of energy, includes one pk pair and at least two guys who can slide up for the odd shift here and there.
It won’t be the priority, but man, you could see some guys gettting shipped for picks and that facilitating more of a youth wave.

Cowan needs to be top 9 or he goes back imo.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Cowan needs to be top 9 or he goes back imo.
I hear you and agree, but I don't think it's binary. It could have a planned and intentional transition.

A year where Cowan plays nine games and we keep him up could be a good development year for him even if he doesn't play top nine minutes and every game.

He could play up and down the line up. He could sit and learn from the press box, he could get direct attention and coaching, he could go to the WJC. It's not like they play 82 games in the OHL and that is what he will be missing out on. How about 40 to 50 NHL games, six to eight in the WJC and then be around for our playoffs (or Marlies, I believe he would be eligible).

He could develop and warrant top nine minutes as injuries hit and trades are made in the back half of the season.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I hear you and agree, but I don't think it's binary. It could have a planned and intentional transition.

A year where Cowan plays nine games and we keep him up could be a good development year for him even if he doesn't play top nine minutes and every game.

He could play up and down the line up. He could sit and learn from the press box, he could get direct attention and coaching, he could go to the WJC. It's not like they play 82 games in the OHL and that is what he will be missing out on. How about 40 to 50 NHL games, six to eight in the WJC and then be around for our playoffs (or Marlies, I believe he would be eligible).

He could develop and warrant top nine minutes as injuries hit and trades are made in the back half of the season.
That’s one way, too.
I just liked the composition of the line and having a dangerous pk option.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Given our depth chart and what we have on paper today...I think its pretty clear that our trade deadline targets this upcoming season is gonna be forwards.

Barring injuries, I think our defense is set. Like we can run 8 deep if need be. I dont see us wasting assets there

Reactions: aingefan

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lol Crosby signing two more years at his existing cap hit. Hard for me to not feel bitter about our own players.

Syd is coming off a 12 year contract.
This next 2 year contract is for age 38 and 39.

Perhaps if 12 year deals were available Tavares may have taken 1.
Rielly and Nylander took full term contracts.

If Syd had to re-sign 4 years ago who knows how much he would have received?

As for the others ... we'll see

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean Sid was paid 15.3% of the cap on his first $8.7 mil contract. It's not like we are talking about discounts here.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I mean Sid was paid 15.3% of the cap on his first $8.7 mil contract. It's not like we are talking about discounts here.
He actually signed at 17.3% on his post-ELC, which was the biggest ever outside of Ovechkin's 13-year contract. And he'll be 38 and 39 for this next one.
He is one of the few to ever give a discount though, on his 2nd contract. Though a lot of that had to do with Crosby's obsession with the number 87.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad