Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Our LW position is starting to get real crowded especially if Cowan has a great camp and shows he's ready.

Knies, McMann, Robertson, Cowan, potentially Pacioretty, Dewar.

Someone will either need to play their off wing or there's going to be a deal.
I believe Cowan mainly played RW last year, but started in any forward position with the Knights. Seems like a good option to replace Jarnkrok.

Reactions: weems

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Our LW position is starting to get real crowded especially if Cowan has a great camp and shows he's ready.

Knies, McMann, Robertson, Cowan, potentially Pacioretty, Dewar.

Someone will either need to play their off wing or there's going to be a deal.
Dewar isn't really a winger. He's a natural center. but he had to play winger last year since we had Kampf locked in.

Which, makes it even more likely that Kampf gets traded

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Dewar isn't really a winger. He's a natural center. but he had to play winger last year since we had Kampf locked in.

Ya if they trade Kampf, Dewar makes sense as someone who could land in that spot.
But then you'd also have to put Holmberg in the LW group also, totally forgot to mention his name.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

His contract isn't great, I don't know if he's going to be as easy to move as we want him to be

We aren't exactly overflowing with center options either if Domi is going to be a RW

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think our main weakness is goaltending. Stolarz been a backup all his career in NHL. Woll been backup as well. Wonder if they will make a trade if it doesn't go well? I be more happy if they had vet goalie for 3rd option. Not worried about our defense or forwards if no major injuries.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think our main weakness is goaltending. Stolarz been a backup all his career in NHL. Woll been backup as well. Wonder if they will make a trade if it doesn't go well? I be more happy if they had vet goalie for 3rd option. Not worried about our defense or forwards if no major injuries.

Stolarz may have only played 27 games last year, but then he was a league leader in Save Percentage, Goals Against Ave, Goals Allowed Adjusted and Adjusted Goals against.

Woll was at times the #1 last year, but injury issues.

You'd be more happy if they had a vet goalie for 3rd option. Is Murray not a vet goalie?

Hildeby is our 4th, and he produced excellent numbers in the AHL last year, and it wouldn't shock me if he was good enough to get games in.

I'm not all that worried about the goal tending situation personally.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hakanpaa at his original contract would make them cap compliant with a 22 man roster. Adding Pacioretty at 1M would be fine if they waived Reaves.

If Pacioretty and Hakanpaa both took league minimum it still wouldn't fit in under the cap without some other transaction.

I'd imagine the odds of Hakanpaa (if signed) starting the season on ltir are pretty high which ends the need to make a trade down the road. And mid season injuries likely end the need to do so entirely

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't see Treliving trading Reaves after he heralded him as a great locker room piece. Maybe he gets waived and put in a Simmons role though.

As for Kampf, his value is also pretty bad so it'll be hard. But for 2.4M -- I think that can be replaced with a Minten or whoever else for a much cheaper cap hit. He was Trelivings first extension I believe since taking over Leafs GM so maybe not someone they want to dump quite yet.

Considering the Leafs going after Pacioretty -- maybe Jarnkrok's value/role gets moved. I think that would be a mistake but could be the move they make.

Reaves is 100% Tres guy. I'd be shocked if he was traded.

Earlier in the off-season Mirtle suggested he was a bit surprised Lily ended up with a contract as he expected him to be traded..maybe Tre looks for a hockey trade that saves a bit of cap to give the team enough room

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I'd imagine the odds of Hakanpaa (if signed) starting the season on ltir are pretty high which ends the need to make a trade down the road. And mid season injuries likely end the need to do so entirely
Probably for the best he was not medically cleared.

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Earlier in the off-season Mirtle suggested he was a bit surprised Lily ended up with a contract as he expected him to be traded..maybe Tre looks for a hockey trade that saves a bit of cap to give the team enough room

We need more competent defenseman on this team. Liljegren isn't perfect but he's shown the ability to be a solid capable mid-pair player. He's not old either so we need him a lot more than we need his cap space based on needs. We only have Tanev as a tested RHD. It would be a weird one to do.

Kampf and Jarnkrok are lower on the totem pole of importance and area of strength, especially Kampf, compared to what we have on the team, so I think that's where you start.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm assuming Pacioretty wants an actual salary. If he was willing to play for <1M he would just sign the 875k deal Robertson signed, they'd trade Robertson and proceed as planned with Benoit/Reaves as extras.

Dermott on a PTO with Oilers. Their love affair of former Leafs continues.
McDavid's love affair with the Otters. Also Knoblauch coached Dermott all 3 of his years with the Otters.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
We need more competent defenseman on this team. Liljegren isn't perfect but he's shown the ability to be a solid capable mid-pair player. He's not old either so we need him a lot more than we need his cap space based on needs. We only have Tanev as a tested RHD. It would be a weird one to do.

Kampf and Jarnkrok are lower on the totem pole of importance and area of strength, especially Kampf, compared to what we have on the team, so I think that's where you start.

Liljegren is a dman who struggling year after year to win a roster spot when the game become harder late in season/ playoff in a team who had higher need at D than right now...

hes not enough good defensively to play in PK, hes not enough good offensively to really have an impact on pp. Seriously if Hakanpaa signing and able to play...

The best i could see liljegren in his line up is playing like 15-16 min at EV... Except if torontongoing with 2 d in pp, he will lost all his pp time to OEl, he will lost all his PK time to Tanev, Oel

They're a chance again than loljegren become an healthy scratch again this year so if toronto could get value for him right now, they should do it before he losing it.

Kampf leafs had absolutly nobody to replace him defensively at C...no chance he's leaving

Jarnkrok yes he could move on

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I would keep Jarnkrok. We are in danger of becoming deathly slow already. Need more speed, not less of it.

Its not what its how. We can give up some speed if we get better at the areas of the ice we need to IMO. I'd love a 4th line high energy grinder that isn't a wreck defensively. We are overpaying both CJ and DK right now.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
My prediction of trades from most likely to least:

Robertson to CAR for 25 3rd and 25 4th
Jarnkrok to CBJ for 25 4th
Kampf to NJ for Bastian
Liljegren to PHI for Cates

I would keep Jarnkrok. We are in danger of becoming deathly slow already. Need more speed, not less of it.
According to NHL edge: Jarnkrok was below NHL average for top end speed, speed bursts and all tracked skating metrics.

Source: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Skaters

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

The fact they gave him that contract makes me think they intend to keep Liljegren

If I had doubts about him 3M wouldn't have made me any more keen to keep him around

This year is the one for me, if he proves he can play on the middle pair consistently I'd look to keep him long term, if not I'd move on and find someone else to invest in

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Trading Liljegren would be a mistake, this team needs him.

Ideally we can dump all three of Kampf/Jarnkrok/Reaves and start the season with a full roster and something like this:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Pacioretty-Domi-McMann
Holmberg-Dewar-Cowan/Minten/etc..

I can't see a scenario where this team is any worse by not having any of those three.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I have to imagine they just want a pick for Robertson, cap space is tight.

Timmins could be waived if we can't find a trade partner but here is hoping they can get a 6th-7th rounder.

If we go that route and it's not someone like Jarnkrok...

1726051554376.png

1726051576063.png

Reactions: weems

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
For once I like what we are doing in net.

This is where Woll has to take the net and Stolarz was 100% who I wanted and who I think has what it takes to be a starter. Those 2 can compete and may the best man win.

Absolutely hated the Murray trade, but he has had double hip surgery, has pedigree and a vet on a minimum salary. He gives us terrific support if healthy and could be a valuable trade asset if he is truly healthy.

Hildeby is also chomping at the bit to go.

First time in a long time I’ve felt this good about our goalie situation.

We don’t have a Swayman gut we have excellent potential.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For once I like what we are doing in net.

This is where Woll has to take the net and Stolarz was 100% who I wanted and who I think has what it takes to be a starter. Those 2 can compete and may the best man win.

Absolutely hated the Murray trade, but he has had double hip surgery, has pedigree and a vet on a minimum salary. He gives us terrific support if healthy and could be a valuable trade asset if he is truly healthy.

Hildeby is also chomping at the bit to go.

First time in a long time I’ve felt this good about our goalie situation.

We don’t have a Swayman gut we have excellent potential.

Agreed.

I suspect Murray is going to be waived but will be kept around the big club, he'll practice etc with them and basically a great EBUG.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Given the success rate of players drafted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th oy DD, etc., and people advocate trading Robertson or Lilly for these types of returns, is to me silly. Neither player has played enough games to be considered finished products, and each has displayed talent in areas we are considered deficient. You find out what you have. I’ve been a Keefe apologist in the past, but with respect to player development…it was not his strong suit. If one wants to be angry, be angry at our stars. Our young talent should be encouraged to help future opportunities, and allow us a chance to see what a finished product looks like. TL has played less than 200 games, and yet is a player who I’ve watched improve Year after year. Dominant, no…intriguing, yes. NR, 80 games? And considered a fully developed player??? No! He scores better than most. Not a bad trait to have, and while still but 22, he’s improving as a NHL winger. And people want to wait on the equivalent 5 year development program - less, if fewer injuries, for that next 2nd round pick to develop into Robertson today? Folks, our window is closing. Trust your gut and go with the youngsters, PAC ain’t it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad