Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
PTO options are looking especially horrible this year. You can make a case that there are no NHL players left.
I'd rather keep a spot open for the young players to fight over throughout the year (I.e. Robertson, Grebyonkin, Steeves, Minten, etc).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would absolutely love that but not even sure Utah would do that straight up when you take their cap hits into consideration. Keller has 4 years left at a steal of 7.15 million aav while Marner is going to be looking for 12 million + aav on his next contract. 5 million more for Marner is ludicrous

Leafs re-sign marner 4*12.
Retain $2mm

Trade to Utah for Keller.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Feels like Toronto is giving Marner his asking price, turning around and giving Utah a discount on that and effectively negating the discount of Keller at the same time.
Still over $3mm cheaper than marner will be, and costing Utah an extra $3mm against their Cap.

Keller: 7.15+2 = 9.15mm for Leafs
marner 10-10.5 for UHC

Doesn't matter, marner is staying and re-signing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Still over $3mm cheaper than marner will be, and costing Utah an extra $3mm against their Cap.

Keller: 7.15+2 = 9.15mm for Leafs
marner 10-10.5 for UHC

Doesn't matter, marner is staying and re-signing.

Yeah, I don't Mitch Marner is going anywhere when he was one of a handful of Leafs to attend the Matthews coronation, shown to be hugging the minority owner and then talk up how he wants to be a Leaf and stay in Toronto. That alone tells you he's in their plans, they want to make it known and they'll work something out.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Its so obvious Marner should be a C I dont get why it hasnt happened already with our lack of C depth.

This is the best way to deploy your forwards.

Mcmann-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Marner-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Cowan
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

(you could swap Knies and Robertson)

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Its so obvious Marner should be a C I dont get why it hasnt happened already with our lack of C depth.

Mcmann-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Cowan
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Marner attempting to play center now and take draws would open him up to so much more criticism does he really need it? Headlines would read, "Marner trying to force Tavares out of Toronto".

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Mcmann-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Cowan
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

He didn’t even play center in Jr. Even there he couldn’t handle the physicality required for that position.

Reactions: WTFMAN99 and IPS

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Mcmann-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Cowan
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Maybe because he isn't a C.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think the above covered it well, Marner wasn't effective at centre in Jr....he won't be able to play it all of a sudden in the NHL.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Should we go the quantity approach in goal.

1 A/B - Woll + Askarov. (ride both and see who sticks)

1C - Stolarz (ready to jump in and go on a run, possibly trade fodder if any of the above shine)

1D - Murray / Hildeby etc (waiting in the wings)

Minten + Jarnkrok + pick for Askarov + 4th liner
Realistically this team (core) still needs a step back season. This should probably be it. Go into next with jt off the books or greatly reduced . Long story short , yes 100% they should be making a move for a potential long term / core piece like Askarov at the expense of a rental like stolarz

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Mcmann-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Cowan
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Nylander-Marner
Cowan/Minten-Tavares-Grebyonkin
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

marner can Selke on the 2nd. line.
Matthews is Selke on the 1st.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Realistically this team (core) still needs a step back season. This should probably be it. Go into next with jt off the books or greatly reduced . Long story short , yes 100% they should be making a move for a potential long term / core piece like Askarov at the expense of a rental like stolarz

They don't have the draft picks to make it a step back year. They'll need to be as competitive as possible

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Couldn't agree more

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You are suggesting 2025-2026 season?

No reason to step back this season as they have no picks to speak of that will be impacted.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Mcmann-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Cowan
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

I'd be more open to it than some others have mentioned above.

But if they are going to try, they have to stick with it for preseason and regular season games because there's going to be an adjustment period. When they tried it with Willie, it was like one or two games, and they said, "Nope, don't like that," and for some good reason, mainly because Willie's style is much more suited to the wing, but what did they expect with so little time?

Mitch doesn't create his offense the same way, so I feel he'll be less affected offensively by such a change.

Preferably though, A bigger body playing with those two that can also take left-sided draws would be ideal.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah, I don't Mitch Marner is going anywhere when he was one of a handful of Leafs to attend the Matthews coronation, shown to be hugging the minority owner and then talk up how he wants to be a Leaf and stay in Toronto. That alone tells you he's in their plans, they want to make it known and they'll work something out.
I get the feeling too. It will be interesting to see if they extend him before the playoffs or after the playoffs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
PTO options are looking especially horrible this year. You can make a case that there are no NHL players left.
I'd rather keep a spot open for the young players to fight over throughout the year (I.e. Robertson, Grebyonkin, Steeves, Minten, etc).

Well a PTO doesn't guarantee anything so I like the idea of bringing in some guys who can push the younger guys harder in camp. And in this case it's the young wingers vying for a spot.

I'd like to bring in a centre too but there just aren't any with top 9 upside for PTO.

Where the Leafs are lacking is depth goal scoring .. and while you hope some of the youngsters will step up, getting some other guys with goal scoring upside as competition is where I'd look.

- Hoffman, who is 34, might be worthwhile to see if he has anything in the tank
- Zadina, give him a chance as a maybe a later bloomer with some offensive upside
- Kubalik, maybe a change of scenery from a badly run Ottawa organization
- Pacioretty and JVR are probably cooked and lack the foot speed but those could be options

Reactions: LeafChief

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So, if Pit opens up a bunch of cap space by moving Letang, do you think KD has offer sheet fever?

What's too much for Robertson?

Pittsburgh doesn’t have their 2nd round pick, which would hamper them in doing offer sheets. They can’t go over $2.29 million, or if they do, they have to go over $4.58 million.

$2.29 million is a lot for Robertson, and if he wants out, it’s a risk that we match. Would we match? Probably. They wouldn’t offer over $4.58 mil for Robertson though.. well it’s Dubas so who knows. I’d take their first gladly though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad