Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
""

Interesting that they turned around and did a trade with each other after? Fischer is a prospect D, playing at Norte Dame. 2023 5th round pick.

""

Recap the "trade."

Oilers receive:
2025: 2nd. and 3rd. rounders
2028: 3rd. rounder
2023: 5th. rounder (Paul Fischer)

Blues receive:
2019: 1st. round pick 8th. overall (Broberg)
2020: 1st. round pick 14th. overall (Holloway)
No value - future considerations

Both picks by Oilers appear to be NHL players.

Fall-out;

San Jose:
Ceci and 2025 3rd. round pick

Oilers:
Ty Emberson

Everyone's favorite, Ceci played 2nd. pairing minutes for Oilers in playoffs.
Emberson played 30 games over 5 months this year for Sharks.

Did I miss anything?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Recap the "trade."

Oilers receive:
2025: 2nd. and 3rd. rounders
2028: 3rd. rounder
2023: 5th. rounder (Paul Fischer)

Blues receive:
2019: 1st. round pick 8th. overall (Broberg)
2020: 1st. round pick 14th. overall (Holloway)
No value - future considerations

Both picks by Oilers appear to be NHL players.

Fall-out;

San Jose:
Ceci and 2025 3rd. round pick

Oilers:
Ty Emberson

Everyone's favorite, Ceci played 2nd. pairing minutes for Oilers in playoffs.
Emberson played 30 games over 5 months this year for Sharks.

Did I miss anything?

Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Nurse
Emberson Brown
Stecher

Ouch... I mean that's not good at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Nurse
Emberson Brown
Stecher

Ouch... I mean that's not good at all.

It gets really bad with an injury or two. As an example, the Leafs used 12 different D last year -- 14 after acquiring Lyub and Edmundson.

All their depth D are 25+ years old except for 1 player -- Carrick, Dineen, Kemp, Hoefenmayer (ex-Marlies), Gleason... yeesh.

I assume they will be keeping an eye on the waiver wire closely if they don't make a trade by then.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
This might be deeply unpopular, and not knowing anything of what happening in PHI, but Ryan Johansen has had his contact terminated. He’s a right shot Center; yes he’s declined immensely, but could he hold down the 3C hole for us? It would give a bit of offence there, and dump Kampf down to 4C.

For a shot as a camp invite or league minimum I would argue.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
This might be deeply unpopular, and not knowing anything of what happening in PHI, but Ryan Johansen has had his contact terminated. He’s a right shot Center; yes he’s declined immensely, but could he hold down the 3C hole for us? It would give a bit of offence there, and dump Kampf down to 4C.

Might be a good 3rd line fit, I think he will be more then a PTO/league min contract for a team.

Seems to be a locker room cancer though.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

He is reportedly going to dispute the termination, which should be very interesting to watch haha.

Reactions: Menzinger

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

On paper it sounds appealing, but his off ice issues that led to his current situation must have been serious enough that other teams will be extremely cautious.

Reactions: Skullz and SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The guy who allegedly has a hip injury that won’t allow him to play again?

—————————————-

Johansen was acquired from the Avalanche as part of the Sean Walker trade before the trade deadline, and he was waived the following day for assignment to AHL Lehigh Valley. He informed the Flyers after the trade that he was dealing with a hip injury, which was subsequently confirmed by the team’s medical staff, resulting in his AHL assignment being reversed. The 31-year-old remained on the active roster for the rest of the season but did not play in a game.

Brière said that he didn’t ever envision Johansen suiting up for the Flyers after the trade, although that was before he had knowledge of the injury. It’s a long-term absence, as implied by Brière’s full statement today, which means the team can’t execute a buyout on the final season of his contract:

All I can tell you is I don’t expect him to be back. I don’t know, exactly, the situation. We’re dealing on the medical side with him. The thing for him is getting him back to be able to play at this time. He doesn’t think he can play hockey. I wish I had a better answer for you. We need to get him better to figure out if there’s even a remote chance of him dressing for the organization.

""

It seems that he is claiming he's injured, and can't play again, to avoid being sent to the minors, or being bought out. It seems likely that Philadelphia disagrees.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ACC1224

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Should we go the quantity approach in goal.

1 A/B - Woll + Askarov. (ride both and see who sticks)

1C - Stolarz (ready to jump in and go on a run, possibly trade fodder if any of the above shine)

1D - Murray / Hildeby etc (waiting in the wings)

Minten + Jarnkrok + pick for Askarov + 4th liner

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Should we go the quantity approach in goal.

1 A/B - Woll + Askarov. (ride both and see who sticks)

1C - Stolarz (ready to jump in and go on a run, possibly trade fodder if any of the above shine)

1D - Murray / Hildeby etc (waiting in the wings)

Minten + Jarnkrok + pick for Askarov + 4th liner
I don't really want to give up Minten for Askarov. We need C's in the future. Goalies, not so much.

Noting, Nashville fans mostly don't think Askarov is ready.

Askarov 0.911 SV %.... the #2 guy, had a 0.907 SV %
Hildeby 0.913% ... the #2 guy 0.867%

In my opinion, Hildeby outperformed Askarov last year.

Askarov certainly has the draft pedigree, and could end up being very good... but we have quite a few goalies tracking well. I'd add Askarov to the mix, if the price was right... but I'm not sure we are competitive with what other teams would offer.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't really want to give up Minten for Askarov. We need C's in the future. Goalies, not so much.

Noting, Nashville fans mostly don't think Askarov is ready.

Askarov 0.911 SV %.... the #2 guy, had a 0.907 SV %
Hildeby 0.913% ... the #2 guy 0.867%

In my opinion, Hildeby outperformed Askarov last year.

Askarov certainly has the draft pedigree, and could end up being very good... but we have quite a few goalies tracking well. I'd add Askarov to the mix, if the price was right... but I'm not sure we are competitive with what other teams would offer.

He also clearly doesn't want to play in the AHL. Which makes things awkward for the team if he isn't quite ready to be a 1B.

He's a better fit for a more up and coming team that doesn't care if it makes the playoffs just yet

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
""

Interesting that they turned around and did a trade with each other after? Fischer is a prospect D, playing at Norte Dame. 2023 5th round pick.

""

Consider this STL's apology for poaching a couple of now former Oilers! ;)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He also clearly doesn't want to play in the AHL. Which makes things awkward for the team if he isn't quite ready to be a 1B.

He's a better fit for a more up and coming team that doesn't care if it makes the playoffs just yet

For me, Utah should be all over Askarov. Seems like a great fit.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We need Matthews to talk to Keller and tell him to request a trade out of Utah and he'll only accept a trade to Toronto lol.
I've mentioned numerous times Marner would look good in a Utah Mini Mountaineers jersey and Keller coming back a part of that solution. :wg:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I've mentioned numerous times Marner would look good in a Utah Mini Mountaineers jersey and Keller coming back a part of that solution. :wg:
I would absolutely love that but not even sure Utah would do that straight up when you take their cap hits into consideration. Keller has 4 years left at a steal of 7.15 million aav while Marner is going to be looking for 12 million + aav on his next contract. 5 million more for Marner is ludicrous

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would absolutely love that but not even sure Utah would do that straight up when you take their cap hits into consideration. Keller has 4 years left at a steal of 7.15 million aav while Marner is going to be looking for 12 million + aav on his next contract. 5 million more for Marner is ludicrous

I mean, it's just not fair to saddle Utah with that much cap, so I have some ideas on how to help them out.

If we help them out, and take Keller, Crouse and McBain, we will be relieving them of over $13 mil in cap space.

We can send Marner, and cheap goal scorer Robertson, and provide them with a cost contained C in Kampf.

Solid Deal I'd say... solid. 🤡

• Haha
Reactions: TMLAM34

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I mean, it's just not fair to saddle Utah with that much cap, so I have some ideas on how to help them out.

If we help them out, and take Keller, Crouse and McBain, we will be relieving them of over $13 mil in cap space.

We can send Marner, and cheap goal scorer Robertson, and provide them with a cost contained C in Kampf.

To Toronto-
Keller
Crouse
McBain

To Utah-
Marner
Robertson
Minten
1st Round Pick

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Remind me never to buy a used car from you, thx.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad