Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
With Alex Nylander getting a shot, I'd keep Robertson now.

There's potential for a cheap, sneaky 40 goals combined between the 2 of these guys (Not on the same line, just on the same team). Near 40 goal pace from Alex Nylander on the Jackets and we already know Robertson is on track to hit 20 goals.

Just clasp your hands and pray from a defensive standpoint lol
I don't see how both get into the lineup at the same time, without a lot of injuries.

I think they would be fighting for the same ice time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd Cousins to the list maybe, centerman that can play 4th line with an ability to be rat.
We have a lot of D but Blais, Lorentz, Kuablik, Tierney and Cousins are all options.

Cousins would be a good one. He's a POS but could fill a solid depth role.

There's a decent amount of D but I think adding a youngish and capable bottom pairing guy would be smart in case we run into injuries early and some issues start popping up.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Klingberg is given a PTO.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I asked about Laine on the Main Board, the reply was.

"Mental health reset. Loss of his father, multiple injuries disrupting career and consistent losing is the prevailing belief."
That’s pretty much what I read too.
Felt bad for the guy.

Reactions: ACC1224

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I hate Nick cousins with all my life, would be a travesty to watch him sign with the leafs.

Rather target Blais with a PTO

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Cousins would be a good one. He's a POS but could fill a solid depth role.

There's a decent amount of D but I think adding a youngish and capable bottom pairing guy would be smart in case we run into injuries early and some issues start popping up.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Klingberg is given a PTO.
I have been thinking Klingberg for a while now. I don't see the downside in a PTO and even a Marlie deal while he continues to rehab. If it really was his health holding him back, then we should see if he is healthy again, or can get healthy.

As for Cousins, I don't want the sideshow here. We don't need the refs to have an actual reason to call penalties on us. I am happy Bunting is gone for this reason.

Also, as for PTOs, I don't think this is the year for forwards on PTO. I think we have 17 guys legitimately fighting for for 12 or 13 spots. Let's let Robertson, Holmberg, Reaves, Steeves, Cowan, Grebyenkin, Minten, A. Nylander and Quillan or Hirvonen fight for ice time.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's great that we're getting some of your opinions rather than just critiques of others.

So, is being a good forechecker synonymous with being great at cycle hockey? Do you know the answer to this? One is a defensive play, the other is an offensive play.

Personally, I think Marner has moments of greatness as a forechecker, but I don't see him as a great cycle player. We seen in the playoffs that hes more comfortable on the forecheck but doesnt necessarily want to be the player in a corner on a puck first. The same goes for Nylander (though I think hes better than Marner). I dont think they play "heavy" enough as Babcock used to say (btw he clarifies that size doesnt matter when playing heavy on the puck).

I'm not finding any stats that specifically track individual cycle offense. However, there are a few categories that one would think are associated with cycling. Forechecking is one, but it doesn't automatically make you a great cycle player IMO. Another stat tracks loose puck recovery, a category where players like Tkachuk and Konecny typically are among the leagues best.
I mentioned in-zone offence and in-zone assists as those seem to be the most likely indications (in that JFresh pack) of cycle offence. How closely does 'in-zone' match 'cycle'?

I would have thought going in to the other team's end and taking the puck away from them would be considered an offensive play, as opposed to backchecking, which is defensive.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I hate Nick cousins with all my life, would be a travesty to watch him sign with the leafs.

Rather target Blais with a PTO
To be honest, I’m surprised Blais didn’t get a contract or at the very least a PTO from Treliving, especially with Berube being familiar with him. Good player to rotate in and out with Reaves IMO.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
To be honest, I’m surprised Blais didn’t get a contract or at the very least a PTO from Treliving, especially with Berube being familiar with him. Good player to rotate in and out with Reaves IMO.
PTO's aren't handed out until closer to training camp.

I suspect he'll get a PTO from someone. Could be the leafs.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Any PTO predictions? They should be popping up in the next few weeks.

I'll go with Sammy Blais, Dominik Kubalik, Travis Dermott and Steven Lorentz.
I can't imagine any use for Dermott but a healthy Blais or Lorentz would be okay depth. Kubalik really fell off a cliff last season so ehhh nah.
Not all 4 of course but edging my bets here.
TMI...

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
My completed offseason…

Trade 1
Abruzzese
For
Duehr (CAL)

Trade 2
Robertson
For
McMichael (WSH)

Trade 3
Kampf + Liljegren
For
Dickinson (CHI)

Trade 4
Jarnkrok
For
B.Tanev (SEA)

Lineup

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Dickinson - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - McMichael - Marner
Tanev - Dewar - Holmberg/Reaves

Nylander/Steeves/Minten/Cowan/Grebyonkin/Tverberg/Duehr

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Benoit
OEL - Hakanpaa

Webber/Myers/Mermis

Stolarz
Woll

Murray

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My completed offseason…

Trade 1
Abruzzese
For
Duehr (CAL)

Trade 2
Robertson
For
McMichael (WSH)

Trade 3
Kampf + Liljegren
For
Dickinson (CHI)

Trade 4
Jarnkrok
For
B.Tanev (SEA)

Lineup

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Dickinson - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - McMichael - Holmberg
Tanev - Dewar - Duehr/Reaves

Nylander/Steeves/Minten/Cowan/Grebyonkin/Tverberg

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Benoit
OEL - Hakanpaa

Webber/Myers/Mermis

Stolarz
Woll

Murray
You’re missing the Teams best winger from your lineup.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I don't see how both get into the lineup at the same time, without a lot of injuries.

I think they would be fighting for the same ice time.
The shot will be given though I imagine.

The potential exists that both make the team and both score 20 goals. It's an understatement the effect that will have relative to their cap hits.

So I'd keep Robertson for now in order to run the trial. If both in the lineup makes us worse then we move on from one or both. Basically what I'm saying is I want it proven it won't work before I consider trading Robertson. Core 4 + Knies, Robertson and Nylander giving cost-effective goals would be deadly and close to unstoppable to beat on the scoresheet. I believe Nylander can do it if given the chance. He will most likely be sheltered by one of the core 4. Knies is a lock for 20 in my eyes. Robertson was pacing 20 last year.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The shot will be given though I imagine.

The potential exists that both make the team and both score 20 goals. It's an understatement the effect that will have relative to their cap hits.

So I'd keep Robertson for now in order to run the trial. If both in the lineup makes us worse then we move on from one or both. Basically what I'm saying is I want it proven it won't work before I consider trading Robertson. Core 4 + Knies, Robertson and Nylander giving cost-effective goals would be deadly and close to unstoppable to beat on the scoresheet. I believe Nylander can do it if given the chance. He will most likely be sheltered by one of the core 4. Knies is a lock for 20 in my eyes. Robertson was pacing 20 last year.
I agree on keeping Robertson and giving him a shot at ice time and 20+ to goals. I think it is Nylander that has to wait his turn. He didn't get an NHL contract, he is not viewed as an NHLer at this moment.

If he has a strong first half with the Marlies then maybe he makes his way up (would need to sign an NHL contract and clear waivers on the way up). If both are junior snipers that have defensive shortcomings I don't like a lineup that has both of them in it.
Lots can happen though. Maybe one or both becomes more defensively sound, maybe injuries hit. Maybe Robertson gets traded. Who knows. I like the Nylander signing as no/low risk but I don't see him making an early push for the big club.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can't imagine any use for Dermott but a healthy Blais or Lorentz would be okay depth. Kubalik really fell off a cliff last season so ehhh nah.

I don't disagree about Dermott. Injuries can pile up fast though and Dermott can easily be better than all the LHD depth like Rifai, Mermis, Webber and Kokkonen.

As for Kubalik, he has the ability to be a 20 goal scorer. This is why you're adding him on a PTO, to see how he fits in a top 6 role. Even with his game falling off a cliff he scored 11 goals with the Sens. If he comes to camp and looks bad, then you cut him loose.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Watching the Blue Jays sell was a lot of fun and I miss the feeling of hope. I can't wait for the season to start because once the guys start playing well it's nice to see and I'm sure we're going to love Tanev and OEL is an interesting name who I sure hope is still good and isn't just cashing in.

Berube deploying an actually good 3rd line will be a change I'd welcome. I also would like to see PP2 see the light of day when PP1 is cold for 90 days

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I mentioned in-zone offence and in-zone assists as those seem to be the most likely indications (in that JFresh pack) of cycle offence. How closely does 'in-zone' match 'cycle'?

I would have thought going in to the other team's end and taking the puck away from them would be considered an offensive play, as opposed to backchecking, which is defensive.
What does in-zone offense mean? Does it just mean the play originates in the offensive zone, opposed to outside of it? Do you know?

Additionally, as I said, some players im sure rather be forecheck better than be the one along the board recovering the puck. Prime example is the Marner "pulling the chute" video. He was in a prime puck recovery area and instead chose to stop up and forecheck instead. Subsequently Boaton cleared the zone easily.

So... a player might be great at forechecking but terrible in puck recovery.

I see Marner and Nylander as great forecheckers...Nylander due to his speed and ability to lift sticks. Marner because of his relentless dog on bone focus. But... i dont think either are good cycle players in the traditional sense. See Mats Sundin. I definitely think Nylander is a much better cycle player than Marner though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He was a bargain at 8.5m on his last deal. He'd be one hell of a team player if he took less than Matty on an 8 year deal to play in Edmonton. Probably signals that McDavid also resigns with the Oilers.
1722474362178.png

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Would you give Knies an 8 x $6.5 AAV right now?

That is a interesting question Bert

On 8 years you would have 4 X RFA years and also be buying away 4 X UFA years on this deal.

While you are likely overpaying for the first 4 RFA years, but if the cap keeps increasing annually by the time the UFA begin a $6.5 mil AAV will likely look like a bargain.

There is a possibility that Knies might line-up on the top line (replacing Bertuzzi) beside Matthews and potentially Marner, so the opportunity to put up big numbers does exist if he keeps developing. His current 15-20-35 points could double to 30 goals and 65-70 points with PP time on unit #1.

Also Knies plays a big heavy game that should fit new coach Berube style very well and with Tavares contract at $11 mil with a significant pay cut coming after this year that would allow much of the Knies deal to be absorbed in that reduction.

There is lots of risk committing so much money this early, but I likely would gamble all things considered, that Matt Knies with grow into that deal, and if the Leafs wait and see what #'s he puts up next season could cost the team a much higher or shorter bridge deal and then bigger 3rd UFA contract.

PS. There is no doubt Knies was watching his NCAA teammate just sign his new deal and take note,

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I doubt he'll take a paycut.

He might take a team friendly $12mm?

So can a team win with 2 forwards making $26mm and 2 defenders making $20mm?
I belief that is likely what he is referring to by taking a paycut from what he could be asking and getting.

Draisaitl has one year left on his current deal and could become the most coveted unrestricted free agent next summer if he doesn’t re-sign with Edmonton. His current contract carries a very team-friendly $8.5 million cap hit, with many pundits and insiders expecting a significant raise around the $12.5 to $13.5 million.

Unless all three aforementioned stars are willing to take that infamous hometown discount.

I think Leon gets it and if his star teammates are also willing to take a little less to keep the team together and build a strong supporting cast around them increases their Cup chances.

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I belief that is likely what he is referring to by taking a paycut from what he could be asking and getting.

I think Leon gets it and if his star teammates are also willing to take a little less to keep the team together and build a strong supporting cast around them increases their Cup chances.

So he is going to have faith that Bouchard and McDavid follow his lead?

Doubt we'd see anything like that on the Leafs.

Reactions: supermann_98

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I doubt he'll take a paycut.

He might take a team friendly $12mm?

So can a team win with 2 forwards making $26mm and 2 defenders making $20mm?
Matthews @ $13.25 & Marner @ $12.5 mil & Nylander at $11.5 mil + Reilly @ $7.50 mil = $44.75 mil

Can a team with 3 forwards and 1 Dman for nearly the same Cao win as a team while producing significantly less goals and points particularly in the playoffs?

PS. When you have another winger like Hyman putting up 54 regular season goals and 16 playoff goals for 70 total the Edmonton secondary scoring and support is already there,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad