• I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nah, he will still get so much power play time that he will end up with at least 70 points. The Leafs will still be one of the highest scoring teams in the league.
He didny hit 70 this year despite PP1 time and playing with 110-120 pt nylander for most of his time spent there

Unlikely his pts go up if he declines further or plays similar pace and style as this year

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
The ideal solution should be to find another McCabe deal but for a C to replace JT.

2-3 years left on a deal - retained contract - mid 20's would be perfect - 2 way - defensively responsible.

Reactions: HomelessPepper

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The ideal solution should be to find another McCabe deal but for a C to replace JT.

2-3 years left on a deal - retained contract - mid 20's would be perfect - 2 way - defensively responsible.
That would cost draft pick currency, or a top prospect along with mediocre player dump.

And then "draft picks, draft picks, draft pick, blah, blah blah."

You know the story.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Marner was on a 110 pt pace a few seasons ago. So it's not out of line with recent production
Last 5 years:

1721943076987.png

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
His shooting percentage was quite low last year, so I'd guess he'll score around 5 more goals and 70 points overall. While that's not Sidney Crosby beast mode 94 points, or $11 million worth of production, it would still be very respectable 2nd line centre numbers. They just need to get his AAV down to match.
He won't hit 70 pts.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
no I wont believe Marner will have changed or became more valuable if he has a good playoffs. this is a contract year and I've watched 6-7 years of his playoff performances. how does one good one prove to me he's that guy going forward and not the guy we've seen for the last 7 playoffs? I'll believe the consistency over his career then one year.

I also seems weird to me that you expect him to improve offensively at 28 and become a consistent 110 point guy when his 5 of his last 6 season have fallen in the 90-100 point range. could he have a great year and get 110 at some point in his next contract sure but he's been so consistent at 90-100 for the last 6 it's hard to see him stalling for so long only to get to another level in his late 20's.
Keefe catered to these guys, Berube will demand defensive responsibility. Once the checking tightened up in the playoffs Marner became average.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So 2nd. liners are going for that much today?

He has scored 30+ twice.

There's probably a bit of overpay to keep him on an awful team, but the cap is likely heading for another 3-5+ mil increase next dummer. Which will mean we will have seen almost a 10 mil increase over the course of a couple years. Salaries are going to start reflecting that the later we go into the year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There's probably a bit of overpay to keep him on an awful team, but the cap is likely heading for another 3-5+ mil increase next dummer. Which will mean we will have seen almost a 10 mil increase over the course of a couple years. Salaries are going to start reflecting that the later we go into the year.
Prior to capfriendly shutting down, I was playing with a 92M cap for the season after this.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Love how you automatically assume the cap will continue to go up every year. A better strategy would be to plan for the worst, and hope for the best, but that’s just one fiscally responsible poster’s opinion……..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Love how you automatically assume the cap will continue to go up every year. A better strategy would be to plan for the worst, and hope for the best, but that’s just one fiscally responsible poster’s opinion……..

It's literally increased every year of the cap era other than for a year following the 2008 market crash, and the covid period. Most media commentary on the league financials also seem to expect a multi million dollar increase.

Regardless, I don't need to have any strategy because I'm just a fan ;)

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad