Votes: 9 69.2%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I do think OEL will play with Liljegren as things stand.

Liljegren is not an offensive defenseman, he’s a two way guy who is okay at a lot of things without having a standout skill.

One of his biggest weaknesses is being pressured when he has the puck in the defensive zone. When he’s partnered with a guy like Benoit or Edmundson, that’s a huge problem because the other team knows Liljegren will be relied upon to move the puck and can send all their forechecking at him.

OEL actually gives him a partner who can also move the puck.
I have no idea where the Liljegren makes bad plays under pressure thing comes from. He is our best puck mover in those situations. A Benoit or Edmundson may be tougher to knock over, but even when Liljegren gets bumped he usually makes a smart play with the puck first.

A play like this isn't the cleanest but a heavy forechecker like Martinook is on him the whole way and he still protects the puck and gets the zone exit.

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Your allowed to listen, even on guys you probably won't move

Maybe somebody sees something in one of your guys and makes a fantastic offer for them?

Nobody on our roster is so good we shouldn't be casting a line put there and seeing what bites
I'm sure they're willing to listen on anyone. It's just "out there" that they would actively move those 3.

Reactions: Buds17

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Robertson for Askarov.

For once, the Leafs fleece someone.

I wonder if you could do not this obviously, but a goalie prospect plus.

I mean they have to have a pipeline don’t they? They can’t just be like “ok Saros and no one”. Do they have other goalies with potential?

We have
Woll
Hildeby
Arty

As 3 potential starters. But i would think that Askarov is the biggest potential of the 3 right?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I have no idea where the Liljegren makes bad plays under pressure thing comes from. He is our best puck mover in those situations. A Benoit or Edmundson may be tougher to knock over, but even when Liljegren gets bumped he usually makes a smart play with the puck first.

A play like this isn't the cleanest but a heavy forechecker like Martinook is on him the whole way and he still protects the puck and gets the zone exit.

The replay you showed is a perfect exwmple with liljegren just been lucky, it was a high risk play who almost became costly but get bounce and his side. He had just just drop the puck in neutral zone and gave time to his teammate to regroup but he made a high risk play by coming back with the puck in his own zone with Martinook on the forecheck.It's okay hav

Do the same play against exemple mcdavid and the puck end in the net.

Being better in transition doesn't mean it's a good choice to make useless risk

Reactions: Guy Boucher

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I agree, trying to do a dump in chase in the playoffs was dumb. Play the way you want to play from day one.

Even having said that... we watch this team... we know what they are capable of when they are truly on. We get to see that in streaks, and in a few games here and there... and then they go back to thinking they really don't need to put a full effort in, and take periods, games... weeks off. Then they can't seem to get their mojo back, when a lack of effort catches up. They can play at an elite level, and we see that at times... but not often enough.. they truly believe that they can get by without a full effort, all of the time.

There is talent here... I'm not sure there is heart. I'm not sure there is that desire to win every play, every period, every game. You see that in guys like McDavid and MacKinnon. Maybe we need to dub thee... McMatthews and MacMarner?

It feels like this has always been an issue but we are fans were not supposed to talk about it or that even questioning the groups work rate or willingness to do whatever it took was somehow unjustified.

I would imagine there's a strong likelihood that we see a team under Berube that is more consistent with it's intensity and work ethic.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
A few teams with a surplus right now:

SJS: too many bottom 6 forwards (Kunin, Goodrow, Sturm, Kostin, Dellandrea, Wennberg, Bailey, Grundstrom)
WSH: too many bottom pair D (Bear, Alexeyev, TVR)
SEA: too many middle 6 forwards (Wright and Tanev on L4)
NSH: need to move one of Cody Glass or Philip Tomasino
UTA: too many bottom 6 C's (Kerfoot, Bjugstad, Stenlund, McBain

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

SJS: too many bottom 6 forwards (Kunin, Goodrow, Sturm, Kostin, Dellandrea, Wennberg, Bailey, Grundstrom)
I think the Leafs need to be patient and wait for waivers at the start of the season and then......tsak!....they get their man.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think Carolina loses more than 8 points after losing a ton of good players.
I bet they'll get more than 103 points if Freddy stays healthy. Freddy was elite when he played last year and Raanta was the worst goalie in the league. Walker/Gostisbehere were better than Skjei/Pesce last year on the net. Carrier and Noesen are a wash. Teravainen is the only player they didn't truly replace - his loss will be made up by an improvement in goal. They'll miss Guentzel but he was only there for 17 games.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Seattle is who I was looking at for a Marner trade. Could package one of their forwards and wright.

Maybe they would still be willing to trade a forward. They have too many.

Reactions: aingefan

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Seattle is who I was looking at for a Marner trade. Could package one of their forwards and wright.

Maybe they would still be willing to trade a forward. They have too many.
They have too many and not enough elite F's. I don't like any Marner packages they can put together (they apparently aren't moving Wright). I did like the idea of a Gourde for Kampf swap before the Dumoulin deal to get them cap compliant but it doesn't make sense anymore.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They have too many and not enough elite F's. I don't like any Marner packages they can put together (they apparently aren't moving Wright). I did like the idea of a Gourde for Kampf swap before the Dumoulin deal to get them cap compliant but it doesn't make sense anymore.

I don’t think that wright would be off the table personally. They are clearly blocking him. They re-signed tolvanen. They have a 1-2 punch of Bernieers/stephenson.

Either way. They also have a million C prospects we could add. Firkus/rehphkoff etc.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I don’t think that wright would be off the table personally. They are clearly blocking him. They re-signed tolvanen. They have a 1-2 punch of Bernieers/stephenson.

Either way. They also have a million C prospects we could add. Firkus/rehphkoff etc.
I like Rehkopf/Winterton/Firkus but not in a Marner deal. Unless it's all 3 for Marner (which might make sense for them).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I like Rehkopf/Winterton/Firkus but not in a Marner deal. Unless it's all 3 for Marner (which might make sense for them).

At the end of the day. If we aren’t signing him. With 1 year left. It’s not realistic to get an incredible deal.

Guentzel (sure) got bunting 2 middle prospects and a 2

If we got a bjorkstrand/wright

Or bjorkstrand, firkus and 1st makes sense

Reactions: Americanadian

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Funny how the Leafs' current organizational strength is actually young goaltending depth, and we're in desperate need of cheap offense now that the defense has been shored up somewhat. Yet here we are hoping to trade a forward for a goalie.

None of those goalies have the same pedigree/potential as Askarov.

Woll you can argue but he’s made of glass.

Reactions: HolyCrap

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Remember the free agent frenzy years where we waited for the big signing, remember after the Cujo and Belfour signings when we waited and nothing happened. Maybe a Jeff Finger here or a Boyd Devereaux there, a sprinkling of Jason Blake and PA Parenteau, a dash of Matt Hunwick and a Simon Gamache topper.

I also remember when the Mike Komisarek and Francois Beauchemin signings were going to give us the best defense in the NHL. (On paper)

I am glad Treliving went out and got his targets. They are quality players still and despite their age might help in the next few seasons. Free Agent Frenzy is always a damned if you do, damed if you don’t crap shoot. Exciting and terrifying at the same time.

Reactions: Metroid

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The fact that that play is clip worthy kind of says a lot about Liljegren though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad