Prospect Info: 2024-25 Ducks Prospects

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
After reading the prospect threads, I couldn’t agree more.
Post draft the prospect board always turns into a pit of pestilence. The "takes" are either uninformed nonsense or pointless comparisons between prospects of different organisations.

What matters now is that each top prospect gets the mentoring and opportunity they need to reach their highest potential. It is a much more interesting follow than the pissing competitions that are being had over there.

Demidov obviously will be in Russia and we'll see what role he gets. If he wastes another year in the lower leagues he will not be playing in the NHL. Demidov perhaps should not have come out so strongly about playing in the NHL as now there will be no incentive for SKA to give him opportunities.

Sennecke looks like he will return to juniors simply due to having so many things to work on. Then again maybe the Ducks feel he should start filling out ASAP, and that he needs the early season time in the NHL to set him on the right path in terms of nutrition and work out habits.

Solberg is another interesting case, looks like SHL is the destinationnfor him. But the Ducks do have the option of having him in the AHL. It would be a difficult spot for him but who knows, he might make it. They could always send him back to Europe on a loan after a feeling out period if he looks good enough in camp.

Pettersson has a natural progression path to the SHL, hopefully in a playmaking role for MoDo. MoDo should again be one of the weakest teams in the SHL, so avoiding relegation is sort of their championship. Lucas was the cream of the crop of their draft and will be getting some attention especially if he manages to perform.

Massé already was an alternate captain for Chicoutimi and led the team in points, outscouring the closest teammate by 25%. Their captain is moving on, so there might be a spot for Massé to captain the team in a middle of the pack team, he will clearly need to be their MVP. He should form a potent top line with Émile Guité, a high end 2025 prospect.

Procyzsyn is another candidate to wear a letter next season as Battalion will be losing two captains to the AHL in Nelson and Arnsby. Either that or him and Romani could get traded as they will be best at their role in the OHL. That is, if things go south.

Blais should have good support in Rimouski. Cataford, a Vegas pick who already had a taste of pros last season, has been acquired by them in case he plays juniors. From the looks of it, a favorite in the Q, with potentially the 2 highest scoring players on the same team.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Myatovic was just added to the SoFlo hockey league, too. So here is the full list of who is participating so far:
Zegras
Luneau
Nesterenko
Warren
Pastujov
Colangelo
Myatovic

EDIT: Looks like Sidorov is participating, too.

I believe I also saw LaCombe is participating in Da Beauty League in Minnesota. Will Francis would be the only other guy who might be playing in that league.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Myatovic was just added to the SoFlo hockey league, too. So here is the full list of who is participating so far:
Zegras
Luneau
Nesterenko
Warren
Pastujov
Colangelo
Myatovic

EDIT: Looks like Sidorov is participating, too.

I believe I also saw LaCombe is participating in Da Beauty League in Minnesota. Will Francis would be the only other guy who might be playing in that league.
Am i trippin, coulda sworn i saw mctavish name too

Reactions: Kalv

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Am i trippin, coulda sworn i saw mctavish name too
This is probably what you were thinking:

1000005123.jpg

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
It looks like you guys are pretty high on Luneau, what’s the read on him? Passed my day reading on some prospects and came here to get the general pulse on him and Pastujov

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
It looks like you guys are pretty high on Luneau, what’s the read on him? Passed my day reading on some prospects and came here to get the general pulse on him and Pastujov
Poised, skilled, mobile and big RHD. Here's a little piece of draft history detailing why he was a gamble but one that could pay off big time.

He was at one point regarded as the best defenseman of his draft class but fell due to his injury and subsequent recovery. He gained strength and showed improved skating before having another injury that limited his games last season but it all points to now having the injuries behind him. One of the smartest defensemen and one of the best defenders defensively of the '22 draft.

Here's the quote from McKeen's 22 draft guide:
"Coming into the season, there was some thought that Tristan Luneau could challenge for a spot in the top ten as one of the top defenders available. He is a former first overall selection in the QMJHL Draft. He was the defensive rookie of the year in the QMJHL last season. The previous pedigree was solid. However, offseason surgery to repair a lower body injury really derailed his season and momentum as a draft prospect. It really was not until the new calendar year before Luneau started to look like himself again, but by then many other defenders had shown such great promise this season and Luneau saw himself dropping on many draft lists."

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Poised, skilled, mobile and big RHD. Here's a little piece of draft history detailing why he was a gamble but one that could pay off big time.

He was at one point regarded as the best defenseman of his draft class but fell due to his injury and subsequent recovery. He gained strength and showed improved skating before having another injury that limited his games last season but it all points to now having the injuries behind him. One of the smartest defensemen and one of the best defenders defensively of the '22 draft.

"Coming into the season, there was some thought that Tristan Luneau could challenge for a spot in the top ten as one of the top defenders available. He is a former first overall selection in the QMJHL Draft. He was the defensive rookie of the year in the QMJHL last season. The previous pedigree was solid. However, offseason surgery to repair a lower body injury really derailed his season and momentum as a draft prospect. It really was not until the new calendar year before Luneau started to look like himself again, but by then many other defenders had shown such great promise this season and Luneau saw himself dropping on many draft lists."

Just to clarify Luneau's "another injury", he got staph infection in his knee while preparing at the WJC.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas

Thank you! What are people thinking of his prospects for the year? Full time AHLer? Compete for the NHL but probably spend more time in the A?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Thank you! What are people thinking of his prospects for the year? Full time AHLer? Compete for the NHL but probably spend more time in the A?
The organization clearly thinks highly of Luneau based on the way they treated him last year. So while it seems logical that he would be ticketed for the AHL after missing most of last season with a knee infection, I would not be surprised if he competes for a spot on the NHL team out of camp.

That said, my guess is still that he either starts the season in the AHL or goes down pretty early and spends a majority of the season there. But unless he looks bad, Luneau's probably the first call-up in case of injury, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 25 games on the Ducks during the season.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

116. Saginaw Spirit - Lucas Pettersson - Center
Stranger things have happened, but this feels like a bit of a longshot for the Spirit, even if they are a top notch organization. Pettersson, the 35th overall pick to Anaheim, is a talented two-way center man who starred for Sweden internationally this past year. He's got a contract with MoDo of the SHL for next season and it's rare to see Swedish players break pro deals to come to North America. Should this recruitment pitch work, it would be outstanding for Saginaw.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
The organization clearly thinks highly of Luneau based on the way they treated him last year. So while it seems logical that he would be ticketed for the AHL after missing most of last season with a knee infection, I would not be surprised if he competes for a spot on the NHL team out of camp.

That said, my guess is still that he either starts the season in the AHL or goes down pretty early and spends a majority of the season there. But unless he looks bad, Luneau's probably the first call-up in case of injury, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 25 games on the Ducks during the season.
Verbeek said he expected Luneau to be with the Ducks next year so it sounds like it’s his spot to lose.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
One is a little easier to guarantee.

Speaking of "a little easier to guarantee" ...

Here's a quote from Verbeek shortly after being hired by the Ducks as GM:

"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wheeler released his top 100 drafted skater prospects ranking.

Gauthier #19
Sennecke #25
Zellweger #36
Solberg #65
Luneau #77

Top 20 goalie ranking is released soon, I have to imagine Clara is top 10 or close at worst, I'll say #8.

Reactions: Yemeth and Static

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Speaking of "a little easier to guarantee" ...

Here's a quote from Verbeek shortly after being hired by the Ducks as GM:

"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."
And yet he absolutely took the right path for the future of this team. If Murray had done a full tear down earlier, I believe we’d be much further ahead now. All that is irrelevant to my original post and I’m not really sure where you’re going with this here. I simply stated Luneau’s spot is his to lose.

Reactions: Deuce22
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Wheeler released his top 100 drafted skater prospects ranking.

Gauthier #19
Sennecke #25
Zellweger #36
Solberg #65
Luneau #77

Top 20 goalie ranking is released soon, I have to imagine Clara is top 10 or close at worst, I'll say #8.
Couple thoughts. Who are the 18 prospects ahead of Gauthier? And I wonder how high he had Luneau at this point last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad