Prospect Ranking Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #11

Who is the Sens 11th best Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024

1- Carter Yakemchuk 86.5% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #1)
2- Tyler Kleven 71.0% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #2)
3- Zack Ostapchuk 64.4% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #3)
4- Stephen Halliday 42.0% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #4)
5- Mads Søgaard 46.5% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #5)
6- Leevi Merilainen 31.4% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #6)
7- Jorian Donovan 39.2% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #7)
8-
Angus Crookshank 32.6% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #8)
9- Matthew Andonovski 43.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #9)
10- Xavier Bourgault 28.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #10)
11-
12-
13-
14-
15-

As we have been doing since 2004, we simply use the old HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o).

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just if the prospect is more NHL ready than others. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, shot quality, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Graduated players from 2023-24 (who are still in the organization) :

Ridley Greig and Jacob Bernard-Docker

To be added :

Kevin Reidler
Luke Ellinas
Eerik Wallenius
Cole Reinhardt
Filip Nordberg
Philippe Daoust
Vladimir Nikitin
Djibril Toure
Cameron O'Neill
Tyson Dyck
Jake Chiasson

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
IMO it needs to be Guenette then Jenik now as these guys are more proven and/or have more pedigree

I understand the desire to vote Eliasson as he was a recent 39th OA pick but looking at the 2024 Consensus NHL Draft Rankings, he was expected to go 105th overall. Damn, another one of our legendary reaches. For a team that has had such a bad press these last 3 years and such a desperate need to replenish their prospect pool, they still haven't changed and think of themselves as the smartest guys in the room despite a pretty bad track record...

Here's our picks vs where they were expected :

7th OA Carter Yakemchuk : 15th OA
39th OA Gabriel Eliasson : 105th OA
104th OA Luke Ellinas : not ranked
112th OA Javon Moore : 98th OA
117th OA Blake Montgomery : not ranked
136th OA Eerik Wallenius : not ranked

147 prospects were ranked... could have expected our 6 picks to have been ranked but not even, 3 were not ranked, reached on 2 but at least we got a good value pick on Javon Moore!

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
IMO it needs to be Guenette then Jenik now as these guys are more proven and/or have more pedigree

I understand the desire to vote Eliasson as he was a recent 39th OA pick but looking at the 2024 Consensus NHL Draft Rankings, he was expected to go 105th overall. Damn, another one of our legendary reaches. For a team that has had such a bad press these last 3 years and such a desperate need to replenish their prospect pool, they still haven't changed and think of themselves as the smartest guys in the room despite a pretty bad track record...

Here's our picks vs where they were expected :

7th OA Carter Yakemchuk : 15th OA
39th OA Gabriel Eliasson : 105th OA
104th OA Luke Ellinas : not ranked
112th OA Javon Moore : 98th OA
117th OA Blake Montgomery : not ranked
136th OA Eerik Wallenius : not ranked

147 prospects were ranked... could have expected our 6 picks to have been ranked but not even, 3 were not ranked, reached on 2 but at least we got a good value pick on Javon Moore!
Ottawa typical...

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Any consensous using Scouching, among others used, can be thrown away

16 various sources, all the most popular ones... Scouching as bad as you think it is only represents 6.25% of the numbers

And this is all we have. Nothing better exists

If you want to discredit all of them except McKenzie, well, he had Yakemchuk 13th OA

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
16 various sources, all the most popular ones... Scouching as bad as you think it is only represents 6.25% of the numbers

If you want to discredit all of them except McKenzie, well, he had Yakemchuk 13th OA
I'd say just looking at Mackenzie would be better than adding the noise Scorching introduces.

Quality scouting is better than quantity,

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Would definitely discredit about half of them, and would definitely take McKenzies over a consensous list like that, where he specifially mentions its a 6 tier of D that could and any could go from 3-13, and the difference between the D ranked 6, 7, 8 and and then 13 was extremely minimal

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Guenette got all my votes last year when few were voting for him. This year I'm giving them to Hoytie. Spread the love.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The problem with these online scouts is that they all like the same type of player; they all have massive boners for undersized danglers/flashy players. Look at guys like Aron Kiviharju [ranked #44 vs drafted #122], Justin Poirier [ranked #65 vs drafted #156], Clarke Caswell [ranked #79 vs drafted #141], Alex Zetterberg [ranked #84 vs undrafted], and Christian Humphreys [ranked #87 vs drafted #215].

There examples of the opposite as well. Bigger, athletic, physical players who don't have a ton of counting stats are ranked lower. Obviously Eliasson is one, but there's also AJ Spellacy [ranked #111 vs drafted #72], Colin Ralph [ranked #96 vs drafted #48], Ilya Protas [ranked #134 vs drafted #75], Ethan Procyszyn [ranked #122 vs drafted #68].

I also find that the online scouts are less inclined to rank 2nd and 3rd year eligible players.

So the Senators are always going to be hard done by these online scouts. They target big, athletic, physical players almost exclusively and they tend to take overage players more than other clubs.

None of this is to say that Gabriel Eliasson was a good pick - I don't know that. If it were up to me he wouldn't have been the selection. However, he was ranked 55th on McKenzie's list which is the only list that has input from people that actually do the job. I suspect that had Ottawa not taken him he'd have gone off the board in the next dozen or so picks regardless.

Sometimes the strategy works and sometimes it doesn't, but one thing is for sure - the Sens go into the draft to get the guys they want with no considerations to how anybody else will view it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The problem with these online scouts is that they all like the same type of player; they all have massive boners for undersized danglers/flashy players. Look at guys like Aron Kiviharju [ranked #44 vs drafted #122], Justin Poirier [ranked #65 vs drafted #156], Clarke Caswell [ranked #79 vs drafted #141], Alex Zetterberg [ranked #84 vs undrafted], and Christian Humphreys [ranked #87 vs drafted #215].

There examples of the opposite as well. Bigger, athletic, physical players who don't have a ton of counting stats are ranked lower. Obviously Eliasson is one, but there's also AJ Spellacy [ranked #111 vs drafted #72], Colin Ralph [ranked #96 vs drafted #48], Ilya Protas [ranked #134 vs drafted #75], Ethan Procyszyn [ranked #122 vs drafted #68].

I also find that the online scouts are less inclined to rank 2nd and 3rd year eligible players.

So the Senators are always going to be hard done by these online scouts. They target big, athletic, physical players almost exclusively and they tend to take overage players more than other clubs.

None of this is to say that Gabriel Eliasson was a good pick - I don't know that. If it were up to me he wouldn't have been the selection. However, he was ranked 55th on McKenzie's list which is the only list that has input from people that actually do the job. I suspect that had Ottawa not taken him he'd have gone off the board in the next dozen or so picks regardless.

Sometimes the strategy works and sometimes it doesn't, but one thing is for sure - the Sens go into the draft to get the guys they want with no considerations to how anybody else will view it.

Not defending online scout rankings, which are so often terribly off-base, particularly with day 2 players, but taking small/slow skill guys in the latter rounds is a smart strategy.

Look through previous drafts and you'll see most players who end up being difference makers (top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen) are either players that lack size/speed (aka unathletic players) but have good skill/IQ.

Taking underlooked players out of Russia is another strategy that has historically paid dividends, as is drafting goalies in the later rounds (as opposed to high in the draft).

I can tell a team like the Canes has done it's research and identified these trends based on the way they draft. They may even take it a bit too far but I'd rather have a scouting staff that does that than be like the Sens and their dinosaur scouting staff who don't even consider players that don't fit their preferred mold (mainly big and tough).

Reactions: Xspyrit and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Well if true then it's really dumb: you could still go after the guys you want, but knowing where they're ranked by others will allow you to wait a little longer and get other players in the meantime, or trade down and get more assets, etc. Sometimes the gamble will fail and you miss the guy you wanted, but on average you will come out ahead.

Tyler Boucher is exhibit A, but maybe trading down and still drafting Yakemchuk was another possibility (maybe they trader but it didn't work out though?). Same thing with Eliasson, Roger, etc.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Come Hell or High Water.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Guenette had a much more productive season then Bourgault as a d man but loses. Interesting. I still voted Moore. Like his upside. At this point who knows. They're all mega long shots.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not defending online scout rankings, which are so often terribly off-base, particularly with day 2 players, but taking small/slow skill guys in the latter rounds is a smart strategy.

Look through previous drafts and you'll see most players who end up being difference makers (top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen) are either players that lack size/speed (aka unathletic players) but have good skill/IQ.

Taking underlooked players out of Russia is another strategy that has historically paid dividends, as is drafting goalies in the later rounds (as opposed to high in the draft).

I can tell a team like the Canes has done it's research and identified these trends based on the way they draft. They may even take it a bit too far but I'd rather have a scouting staff that does that than be like the Sens and their dinosaur scouting staff who don't even consider players that don't fit their preferred mold (mainly big and tough).
Lol all ya need to say. Small slow skill players literally never play and the ones that do get a cup of coffee can be had for free in any offseason.

Reactions: Dionysus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol all ya need to say. Small slow skill players literally never play and the ones that do get a cup of coffee can be had for free in any offseason.
I think he meant small or slow? Like Stone would qualify as a slow guy, point as a small guy,

Guys that are both small and slow, ya, that's not a winning combo

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd say just looking at Mackenzie would be better than adding the noise Scorching introduces.

Quality scouting is better than quantity,

Outside of McKenzie, I look at all lists about the same which is why I directly look at the consensus/average list since they don't seem that much more valuable one from another

Would definitely discredit about half of them, and would definitely take McKenzies over a consensous list like that, where he specifially mentions its a 6 tier of D that could and any could go from 3-13, and the difference between the D ranked 6, 7, 8 and and then 13 was extremely minimal

Could you make a short list ranking of which sources are more valuable in your opinion? I didn't even read the McKenzie article this year so missed that tidbit of info regarding the Ds but good if Yakemchuk is seen in the same tier as others (after Levshunov I suppose)

I personally didn't waste invest much time in scouting this year, due to apathy from the previous years... hard to be excited about the draft with how the last 3 years went lol

Awesome post, thanks. Eliasson ranked #55 on McKenzie's is a bit more encouraging than looking at the aggregated list but still a bit puzzling that they went with that pick after how well the Roger and Nordberg selections went so far.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think he meant small or slow? Like Stone would qualify as a slow guy, point as a small guy,

Guys that are both small and slow, ya, that's not a winning combo

Definitely small OR slow to me, unless I have no idea what a "/" is used for.

Well if true then it's really dumb: you could still go after the guys you want, but knowing where they're ranked by others will allow you to wait a little longer and get other players in the meantime, or trade down and get more assets, etc. Sometimes the gamble will fail and you miss the guy you wanted, but on average you will come out ahead.

Tyler Boucher is exhibit A, but maybe trading down and still drafting Yakemchuk was another possibility (maybe they trader but it didn't work out though?). Same thing with Eliasson, Roger, etc.

That's the thing with Tyler Boucher. Sens had the 39th OA pick. They had the conviction Boucher would not have been available at this point? ok then draft the BPA at 10th OA and try to move up to get Boucher. If it doesn't work or it's too expensive, then TOO BAD.

Who the HELL thought "ok this is a guy we really "CAN'T MISS" on drafting"? He needs to be canned yesterday

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Definitely small OR slow to me, unless I have no idea what a "/" is used for.

That's the thing with Tyler Boucher. Sens had the 39th OA pick. They had the conviction Boucher would not have been available at this point? ok then draft the BPA at 10th OA and try to move up to get Boucher. If it doesn't work or it's too expensive, then TOO BAD.

Who the HELL thought "ok this is a guy we really "CAN'T MISS" on drafting"? He needs to be canned yesterday

My guess is the scouting staff had Boucher ranked somewhere in the top 10 (would it surprise anyone if he was ranked about Eklund and Johnson?), and he was their BPA at 10th overall. Everyone says "take the best player available" and that's what they did. The issue was with their evaluation of the player, and the person who most owns that pick - Trent Mann - is gone.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My guess is the scouting staff had Boucher ranked somewhere in the top 10 (would it surprise anyone if he was ranked about Eklund and Johnson?), and he was their BPA at 10th overall. Everyone says "take the best player available" and that's what they did. The issue is with their evaluation of the player.

That is definitely more scary than the reality as I see it. I hope to Alfie they didn't have Tyler freaking Boucher as a Top-10 BPA in that draft.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They took him 10th overall. I think him being ranked in their top 10 is a safe assumption.

Chris Neil finished with 1026 games, one the greatest agitating bottom-6 liners in history and still wouldn't crack the Top-25 of that 1998 re-draft

How is it a good idea to get a player like that 10th OA when it was far from guaranteed you could get a near Neil 2.0 version?

Anyway, so puzzling, rather not talk about it too much

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Chris Neil finished with 1026 games, one the greatest agitating bottom-6 liners in history and still wouldn't crack the Top-25 of that 1998 re-draft

How is it a good idea to get a player like that 10th OA when it was far from guaranteed?

Anyway, so puzzling, rather not talk about it too much

You would have to ask Trent Mann and Pierre Dorion. They're the only people in the world who thought that pick made sense.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1