Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They seem content with jersey sales, 41 sell out home games, one round of playoff revenue, and the tv rites to all of the above……..

They can get all those things without paying 50mil in signing bonuses every July 1st or having 100 consultants, sports medicine guys, scouts, skills coaches, private chefs, making 6 figs each and make a shit ton more money doing it.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
They can always trade for Liligren.
Another byproduct of missing out on Roy.. They waited until the 11th hour to qualify/sign him, probably once they knew Roy wasn't an option.

Wouldn't be surprised the margin between not qualifying Liljegren and signing him for 3mil all came down to whether they got the second big name RD in free agency.

Reactions: ToneDog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think I'm comfortable saying Lyubushkin is a #5 shutdown D over a #6/7. Although Boosh doesn't provide a lick of offence, he is pretty reliable for the most part in a shut down role. Jani Hakanpaa is more of a #6. And then there's the injuries concerns which create the even bigger gap. Hakanpaa makes more sense for the leafs though. Dallas needed to pay a little more for Lybushkin for that little bit extra security you get with Lybushkin to replace Tanev.
What makes you comfortable with this analysis? The player who plays more minutes and gives up less offense is the worse player?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
What makes you comfortable with this analysis? The player who plays more minutes and gives up less offense is the worse player?
I think they are very close. I would have considered them both #6 stay at home D before the playoffs but I think Lyubushkin looked like a #5 for the Leafs in the playoffs. He didn't make very many mistakes at all. I might be willing to change my mind upon seeing Hakanpaa play more.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
How about not making mistakes at any price, I hope the Finnish Giant kills it this year for the Leafs, but I wouldn’t bet on it. My take is Boosh got more money because he’s working with two knees instead of one………
but, 1/2 a head ...pretty sure he played with a concussion for half the games, and he always takes head shots when he played for us.

Issue with this team now isn’t even the the D, we can talk about the term for Tanev but I actually like the OEL deal. We need a 3C/3W or you move McMann down and get another top 6 forward. I think our D for at least n the next 2-3 years has improved big time we need more scoring up front
McMann was better than Bertuzzi last season and deserves a shot at a bigger role

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Maybe he sees what ROR saw and wants no part of the circus going forward, if you think aquiring quality free agents is hard now, wait until there’s another year of playoff failure to add to the Leafs resume……..
It's a lack of opportunity, but I appreciate that you've seized an opportunity to be negative.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
I think I'm comfortable saying Lyubushkin is a #5 shutdown D over a #6/7. Although Boosh doesn't provide a lick of offence, he is pretty reliable for the most part in a shut down role. Jani Hakanpaa is more of a #6. And then there's the injuries concerns which create the even bigger gap. Hakanpaa makes more sense for the leafs though. Dallas needed to pay a little more for Lybushkin for that little bit extra security you get with Lybushkin to replace Tanev.
Dallas paid a LOT more for Lyubushkin. His contract is more comparable to Tanev's than Hakanpaa's.

Lyubushkin never seems to excel once he leaves Toronto, and Rielly was noticeably worse this past playoffs while making up for Boosh's deficiencies.

Hakanpaa.. well, if he plays, that would be nice.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think they are very close. I would have considered them both #6 stay at home D before the playoffs but I think Lyubushkin looked like a #5 for the Leafs in the playoffs. He didn't make very many mistakes at all.
He did that in #6 minutes.

Ottawa and Toronto are the smart money here. Florida won't win the regular season until they find a defenseman to drive their 2nd pair.

Reactions: Puckstuff

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Another byproduct of missing out on Roy.. They waited until the 11th hour to qualify/sign him, probably once they knew Roy wasn't an option.

Wouldn't be surprised the margin between not qualifying Liljegren and signing him for 3mil all came down to whether they got the second big name RD in free agency.

would never have let Liljegren walk as a UFA by not qualifying him. by saying that your saying he has no trade value. we traded a worst Sandin for a 1st surely we could have dealt him for a 2nd or 3rd if he wasn't in our plans because we signed say a Roy in UFA. would clearly have been traded before then didn't qualify him.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I hope we get some trade nuggets and some smoke soon. The insiders are all about to go on vacation. Been really quiet lately.

I was about to say, July 4th is on the calendar for GMs as vacation starting.

Today is likely the big day to get some things done, news will trickle in from here on out.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hope we get some trade nuggets and some smoke soon. The insiders are all about to go on vacation. Been really quiet lately.

I don't really expect us to do much more at this point. As much as we look at Kampf, who is left in UFA to replace him for cheaper? We don't have a lot of C depth as is... so losing him, without an upgrade seems foolish. Jarnkrok's $2.1 million for a guy who pace's for mid-high 30 points isn't bad... and it's hard to see if he gets pushed out of the lineup by Cowan/Grebyonkin.... If he does, sure trade him, but for now, it seems he's useful for the price.

Maybe we find a new home for Timmins?

Last edited:
Reactions: TML Dynasty

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'm a bit surprised the leafs haven't made any attempt to replace Bertuzzi. I don't see them going after Sprong or JVR.

Might mean that Cowan got his spot or that they really are going to give Robertson an opportunity in the top 6.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't really expect us to do much more at this point. As much as we look at Kampf, who is left in UFA to replace him for cheaper? We don't have a lot of C depth as is... so losing him, without an upgrade seems foolish. Jarnkrok's $2.1 million for a guy who pace's for mid-high 30 points isn't bad... and it's hard to see if he gets pushed out of the lineup by Cowan/Grebyonkin.... If he does, sure trade him, but for now, it seems he's useful for the price.
Yup I think this is pretty much it. There will be some roster juggling in preseason/camp but nothing major of course.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'm almost 100% sure that the leafs have a contract offer on the table for Tarasenko.

If they made a pitch for Jeff Skinner to play with Mathews and Marner, im sure they made the same pitch to Tarasenko. I don't see why they wouldnt

But clearly tarasenko wants to go back to Florida and see if the panthers can make something happen first

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm a bit surprised the leafs haven't made any attempt to replace Bertuzzi. I don't see them going after Sprong or JVR.

Might mean that Cowan got his spot or that they really are going to give Robertson an opportunity in the top 6.

IMO they're putting McMann in the top 6 (which I think is deserved) and slotting Cowan onto the 3rd line.

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm almost 100% sure that the leafs have a contract offer on the table for Tarasenko.

If they made a pitch for Jeff Skinner to play with Mathews and Marner, im sure they made the same pitch to Tarasenko. I don't see why they wouldnt

But clearly tarasenko wants to go back to Florida and see if the panthers can make something happen first

I can see that. The difference is that Tarasenko probably wants term for his last big contract whereas Skinner didn't mind the 1 year deal to go play on a contender. I also don't see Tarasenko getting less than 5M to leave the Panthers.

They are in much different situations in their careers.

IMO they're putting McMann in the top 6 (which I think is deserved) and slotting Cowan onto the 3rd line.

Yeah it's not exactly easy finding a 20 goal scorer willing to take a 1 year deal, which Skinner was that. McMann showed promised as a very capable Bertuzzi replacement, and Knies should be able to take a big step forward in production.

I think the Leafs can replace what Bertuzzi did internally to some degree.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im sure Treliving can give 3/4 years to Taraesnko (especially considering he gave Tanev 6 and OEL 4)....for a lower AAV.

If the Leafs offered Skinner 3AAV....then do the same here. Idk.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Im sure Treliving can give 3/4 years to Taraesnko (especially considering he gave Tanev 6 and OEL 4)....for a lower AAV.

If the Leafs offered Skinner 3AAV....then do the same here. Idk.

Bertuzzi got 4 years 5.5M AAV. Tarasenko is older and whatever but he produced better, and now has his 2nd cup ring. I think if you go 3-4 years at around 5M AAV, it might just be enough.

But then... How the hell do the Leafs make the space to accommodate that?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I previously envisioned a scenario where Cowan and Greb both started on the team and rotated in/out with Jarnkrok on the 3rd/4th lines. Might yet come to pass to start the year at least. I’d be fine with it.
While Tarasenko and Roskovic and maybe Sprong make sense as fits, I’m maybe more hopeful that NickRob comes around and the solution is found internally between the three kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad