Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Hockey players are so thin skinned compared to every other major sport. Like as if LeBron James just went like you know what, I wanna play in Europe, the pressure is too much. Or if Tom Brady decided that his future was with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to get away from the pressure. Fans are passionate and they will build statues and will give an infinite amount of praise for the smallest amount of success in Toronto, just look at Dougie Gilmour and Wendel Clark. But the downside of not having success is obviously going to create a lot of tension and toxicity.

If they don't want to deal with it, it's their choice and I certainly don't want them here if they can't handle it.

Hockey players don’t want to grow the game, it is what it is.

In all other leagues, the biggest stars force their way to the biggest markets because they want that attention. Haters are cheering for their downfall and fans are cheering for them to win it all.

As a Raptors fan, I hated the Lebron/KD super teams but you can bet your ass that I was tuning in every game just to see them fail.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Seems Marner is returning based on the CJ's comments about the pitch to Skinner: "you can play with Auston and Mitch".

I am actually excited about our D for the first time in literal decades. I am excited for Berube's "blue collar hockey" (the type of hockey I like). But at the same time, I am very much struggling to bring myself to watch any regular season games. Only watched like 20 games last year, and it was more painful than the previous year.

It sucks because Auston Matthews is going to probably be the greatest Leafs goal scorer for the next 50 years... So why deny myself of this talent? But I have seen this same show for close to a decade now with this core, and I don't like the ending (nor the usual lackadaisical effort/ 5-10 minutes of good hockey per regular season game). Hard to not let this ruin my overall enjoyment, ya know?

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Seems Marner is returning based on the CJ's comments about the pitch to Skinner: "you can play with Auston and Mitch".

I am actually excited about our D for the first time in literal decades. I am excited for Berube's "blue collar hockey" (the type of hockey I like). But at the same time, I am very much struggling to bring myself to watch any regular season games. Only watched like 20 games last year, and it was more painful than the previous year.

It sucks because Auston Matthews is going to probably be the greatest Leafs goal scorer for the next 50 years... So why deny myself of this talent? But I have seen this same show for close to a decade now with this core, and I don't like the ending (nor the usual lackadaisical effort/ 5-10 minutes of good hockey per regular season game). Hard to not let this ruin my overall enjoyment, ya know?
I watch all 82, and however many playoff games we get. Life is short, and this isn't that serious. It's supposed to be fun

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I watch all 82, and however many playoff games we get. Life is short, and this isn't that serious. It's supposed to be fun
How many games did you like the effort? Did they play a full 60? I would be more inclined if they actually played like they care. Who knows. Maybe Berube will actually bench the stars when they don't perform.

Reactions: supermann_98

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
If Tavares wont waive/Leafs wont ask him, I think the stripping him of the C is at a minimum a significant change.

My concern is they will gift it to Matthews who I think is a dbag. I think of all the players. MO has out in the work and deserves if more.

Next season with Tavares' cap space Brad will go to work.

While I want go trade Marner. If the value isnt there, we absolutely cannot dump a 100 point winger in their prime for nothing. If we could get Keller, Bjugstad, + thats one thing, but for a shit return I would rather extend Marner.

The problem is I dont think Marner will be satisfied with the Nylander contract ($11.5 x8) and I hope Brad has a hard time seeing any justification that Marner is worth more than Nylander.

I think the only reason why there is some hope is because the Leafs can give him 8 years ( my preference would be 5 or 6). $11.5 x 8 years = $92 million. As a ufa teams would have to offer 92 /7 years which is $13.14 million. I know there are desperate teams but any team that offers Marner $13+ million will be in the same situation as we are with Tavares.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If Tavares wont waive/Leafs wont ask him, I think the stripping him of the C is at a minimum a significant change.

My concern is they will gift it to Matthews who I think is a dbag. I think of all the players. MO has out in the work and deserves if more.

Next season with Tavares' cap space Brad will go to work.

While I want go trade Marner. If the value isnt there, we absolutely cannot dump a 100 point winger in their prime for nothing. If we could get Keller, Bjugstad, + thats one thing, but for a shit return I would rather extend Marner.

The problem is I dont think Marner will be satisfied with the Nylander contract ($11.5 x8) and I hope Brad has a hard time seeing any justification that Marner is worth more than Nylander.

I think the only reason why there is some hope is because the Leafs can give him 8 years ( my preference would be 5 or 6). $11.5 x 8 years = $92 million. As a ufa teams would have to offer 92 /7 years which is $13.14 million. I know there are desperate teams but any team that offers Marner $13+ million will be in the same situation as we are with Tavares.

The ship on Tavares waiving has long sailed.

And no, next season, his cap space is already potentially largely spoken for. Woll is going up $3M and you have to imagine Knies is probably an additional $3-4M himself. If they elect to bring JT back, for say $4M, there is basically all the cap space gone bye and not a single change to the roster.

• Haha
Reactions: Albz

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

And no, next season, his cap space is already potentially largely spoken for. Woll is going up $3M and you have to imagine Knies is probably an additional $3-4M himself. If they elect to bring JT back, for say $4M, there is basically all the cap space gone bye and not a single change to the roster.
You do realize the cap is projected to go up another 4-5 million next season right

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022

I dont think they even asked him to waive since the leafs are not cut throught enough to do that. To be fair, I think it is important to be honourable. I think Vegas and teams that do shit like that will have thngs come back bite them.

I have a hard time seeing the leafs extend Tavares regardless of money. (Please god)

Reactions: Erndog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad