Knights fans displeased with how the team has handled its star players

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Vegas operates like an NFL team. Ruthless, only results matter, when you are no longer of value, no matter how beloved, you're gone. There is no loyalty to a single player. there is loyalty to winning and creating a winning program that has sustained success. It's tough but it gets results.

Don't get emotionally attached if you're playing in Vegas. They're playing to win, not make friends. If more teams operated this way, players wouldn't be bullying their GMs and holding teams hostage.

Not saying I agree with or disagree with it, but if you look at it without getting emotionally involved, they are doing what they believe is best for the teams success going forward. Sucks for the player, it's a ruthless approach but it gets them results. That same ruthless attitude is what got them their cup win, so not sure the fans should really be that mad about it.
Marchessault won a Cup and got paid, yall acting like these players in Vegas did not benefit from this relationship at all.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
If we all croaked tomorrow, our employers would replace us within the week. Wah wah millionaire hockey platers are’t treated with loyalty

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Marchessault seems like a huge prima donna to me.

Don't waste his time again, Vegas. :sarcasm:

marchessault-ig.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Marchessault is still likely going to be the first VGK with his number retired. Not uprooting your family would be ideal but shit happens. Hes going to be a much richer man now anyways.

Brownies

I don't know for others, but I don't like to root for a team that feels like a bunch of mercenaries. I go from cycles of being fully invested in my team to not really caring that much (usually after some of my favorites are let go). Sure, winning is better than losing but the worst is losing with guys no one care about. Some fans never come back.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
This is true, but at the same time, large portions of hockey fan bases get upset at players when they don't give a hometown discount, or leave the team over a small difference in money.

Loyalty is a two way street.
Yeah but people who get upset over that stuff are petty as hell, and really that doesn't have anything to do with loyalty.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's crazy to see how much rival fans love to obsess over everything VGK does.

This team has won a Stanley Cup already and is a constant threat every season... Thats the whole idea with professional sports, you want to win.

All these players get insane amount of money to play and unfortunately when players get older, it's smarter to let them walk rather than get handcuffed with a long contract that will eventually become a burden on the cap situation.

Every team have guys that follow the money and sign elsewhere and unfortunately their team can't afford to keep them(Ex Stephenson, Carrier etc)

Vegas will make a few deals soon and once again be a major contender.

I love VGK management and the fact they do every single thing in their power to put together the best product they can every year. Management and coaches from all teams demand hard work every second from their players and VGK is one of the rare teams in the league that their management ALSO follows that method.

UED

May 2, 2021
Teams owe their players NOTHING. They pay them an exorbitant amount of money to play hockey already. The only exceptions are the special talents like Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid(assuming he wins them a cup or two, otherwise nope), Lidstrom because these guys singlehandedly win their teams a bunch of cups that they wouldn't have won if they had even the 2nd best player in the world instead. Even then winning a cup is not worth near $1m yet they get paid hundreds of millions...

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Teams owe their players NOTHING. They pay them an exorbitant amount of money to play hockey already. The only exceptions are the special talents like Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid(assuming he wins them a cup or two, otherwise nope), Lidstrom because these guys singlehandedly win their teams a bunch of cups that they wouldn't have won if they had even the 2nd best player in the world instead. Even then winning a cup is not worth near $1m yet they get paid hundreds of millions...
It is interesting to consider that if a 50 point player gets paid $6 million per year that the player is essentially being paid $120,000 per point, which is almost exactly double the average U.S. salary, i.e., that player makes with a single point what it takes two years for the average salaried employee to make.

Or, if you want look at it differently, if a $6 million player puts in 2,400 per year (200 hours per month) towards the NHL for all causes, including practice, travel, game prep and play, etc., that player is making $2,500 per hour ... against the U.S. national average of $30 per hour, i.e., Joe Schmoe has to work 80 hours per week (or 60 hours if they get double overtime, etc.) to make just less than what the $6 million player makes in one hour.

Nice work if you can get it, and power to them for making as much as the market will bear, but please don't whine about these guys being mistreated.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Vegas will make a few deals soon and once again be a major contender.
I agree with everything else you've said except this. The team has sort of cleaned itself out of pieces to trade. They don't have a first next year or the year after that and outside of Connelly who they just drafted, they don't really have much in the system that other teams would give up premium stars for. They've finally ran out of pieces which is why you're seeing them make the Holtz trade.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I agree with everything else you've said except this. The team has sort of cleaned itself out of pieces to trade. They don't have a first next year or the year after that and outside of Connelly who they just drafted, they don't really have much in the system that other teams would give up premium stars for. They've finally ran out of pieces which is why you're seeing them make the Holtz trade.
Just seems like it's impossible for VGK to not steal the show with a massive/out of the blue blockbuster

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I don't hate the Knights for doing whatever it takes to ice the best team they can, but I also completely understand fans who want their favorite players to stick around. I agree with Brownies, it's not too fun to cheer for a team that feels like it's made up of placeholders.

Reactions: WhataKnight

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Marchessault won a Cup and got paid, yall acting like these players in Vegas did not benefit from this relationship at all.
No ones acting like that. People are just saying there's a level of respect organizations usually have for their players, especially the guy that won the Conn Smythe and led your team to their first ever Stanley Cup. Again Vegas is doing what they feel is best for them as an organization and technically Marchy and Vegas both honored the contract, cool.

But in sports, there is supposed to be a level of respect you have for a player who has done so much for your organiztion.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
No ones acting like that. People are just saying there's a level of respect organizations usually have for their players, especially the guy that won the Conn Smythe and led your team to their first ever Stanley Cup. Again Vegas is doing what they feel is best for them as an organization and technically Marchy and Vegas both honored the contract, cool.

But in sports, there is supposed to be a level of respect you have for a player who has done so much for your organiztion.
Says who? The best organizations do what is best for the team so they can contend for a championship each and every year. That's what fans care about. Not "feelings."

Reactions: x Tame Impala

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Says who? The best organizations do what is best for the team so they can contend for a championship each and every year. That's what fans care about. Not "feelings."
Go ask Vegas and Tampa fans how they feel about the way Marchy/Stamkos were handled. It matters to the fans, you know the ones that support the market/team.

Again like I said, Vegas is a cut throat organization, they'll always do what they feel is best for their teams success. But fans want their stars, especially the ones that have delivered a Cup, to be respected by the organization. No one is faulting Vegas for moving on, that's what's best for you guys ? Cool, but the way it was handled wasn't the best.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Go ask Vegas and Tampa fans how they feel about the way Marchy/Stamkos were handled. It matters to the fans, you know the ones that support the market/team.

Again like I said, Vegas is a cut throat organization, they'll always do what they feel is best for their teams success. But fans want their stars, especially the ones that have delivered a Cup, to be respected by the organization. No one is faulting Vegas for moving on, that's what's best for you guys ? Cool, but the way it was handled wasn't the best.
This is where their inexperience as a fanbase comes into play. The quicker fans go through the downs and understand how important it is to make the hard decisions like this for the long term sake the better.

Right now Vegas fans are still absolutely convinced it’s easy to retool and contend every year until the end of time. Hell, even here I remember being told probably less than a year ago that Cotter was trending to be a top 6 forward simply for no reason other than he was a Vegas draft pick and the Vegas FO is more shrewd than everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad