Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anaheim is about 6.5m below the cap floor, I mean if that's not a good place to send Kampf, I'm not sure where is.

A few teams have some contracts to dump. They will be the new Coyotes team this season probably.

I'm a little worried the Avalanche will trade them COLTON for a nice cheap young forward or something though.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Anaheim is about 6.5m below the cap floor, I mean if that's not a good place to send Kampf, I'm not sure where is.
At this point in FA, the board has been picked clean.

Unless they are signing Tarasenko or trading for Colton or they have something lined up where they need his cap space, I don't see a pressing urgency to trade him.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
AVS are a good option to call and gauge Lehkonen or Colton's availability.

Another player I love is Tarasenko. He's a twice winner. Unfortunately, can't see us making him fit.

Reactions: SprDaVE

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Truth hurts, don’t read my posts if you don’t want the truth Skippy……..
very funny to follow up talking about how well you'd take the death of your father and the diagnosis of your wife with a horrible disease in a hypothetical fantasy world where that happens by calling someone "skippy". just wanted to drop in and say that. carry on.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
AVS are a good option to call and gauge Lehkonen or Colton's availability.

Another player I love is Tarasenko. He's a twice winner. Unfortunately, can't see us making him fit.

Tarasenko and Berube know each other well. Could be something there. Tarasenko is pretty solid.

Reactions: aingefan

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
A few teams have some contracts to dump. They will be the new Coyotes team this season probably.

I'm a little worried the Avalanche will trade them Ross for a nice cheap young forward or something though.
Completely possible.

They can fit both, though, and still only just be on the cap floor.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd love if it were true but unless I'm missing something Frankie ran with an observation without fact checking.

If you're counting Landy, Nuke, and O'Connor as active from day 1 they're ~500k over the cap with
13F 5D 2G. But Nuke isn't going to be active on day 1- while he's suspended they can accrue whatever space they leave unused from 6.125

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
very funny to follow up talking about how well you'd take the death of your father and the diagnosis of your wife with a horrible disease in a hypothetical fantasy world where that happens by calling someone "skippy". just wanted to drop in and say that. carry on.
Well, I’ve lost my father and endured my wife surviving a life threatening disease and I’m still here. Tough times don’t last, tough people do………

• Love
Reactions: Al14 and BallardEra

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd love if it were true but unless I'm missing something Frankie ran with an observation without fact checking.

If you're counting Landy, Nuke, and O'Connor as active from day 1 they're ~500k over the cap with
13F 5D 2G. But Nuke isn't going to be active on day 1- while he's suspended they can accrue whatever space they leave unused from 6.125

Isn't Landeskog gearing up to return?

And yeah the Nuke contract will likely be voided/not counted, so they aren't in that much of a nightmare at all but they are still very much up against the cap with some holes. Rantanen is also a pending UFA.

Last edited:

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Well, I’ve lost my father and endured my wife surviving a life threatening disease and I’m still here. Tough times don’t last, tough people do………
i've been through similar things too. most people have. i'm certain we dealt with our respective situations in different manners, as we are different people, and no two situations are precisely the same in spite of their similarity. what you said about brodie and his situation speaks less to his toughness and more to your presumptuousness. anyways, i'm not here to moralize. i honestly just came to laugh at someone actually unironically calling someone else "skippy".

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Florida currently has 1 RD on their roster. They also have a 4.5M backup. Swapping that money to RD would probably be beneficial to them.

To FLA: Liljegren, Primeau
To MTL: Knight, Robertson
To TOR: Barron, Samoskevich

Florida gets a cheaper back up and a NHL RD. MTL gets a high pedigree goalie for their rebuild. Toronto flips a player who wants out and their 3RD for a cheaper 3RD and a RS winger who is NHL ready which they don't have in the system.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Florida currently has 1 RD on their roster. They also have a 4.5M backup. Swapping that money to RD would probably be beneficial to them.

To FLA: Liljegren, Primeau
To MTL: Knight, Robertson
To TOR: Barron, Samoskevich

Florida gets a cheaper back up and a NHL RD. MTL gets a high pedigree goalie for their rebuild. Toronto flips a player who wants out and their 3RD for a cheaper 3RD and a RS winger who is NHL ready which they don't have in the system.
an inter-division 3-way trade is not likely to ever happen

Reactions: 613Leafer

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
If the rumor of Marner to Vegas is true I wonder what could we get from Vegas. The obvious answer would be Theodore or Pietrangelo, but our d corp is set and I don't buy that Liljegren is going to be traded any time soon.

I wonder could a 3 way deal happen where
we trade Marner for Theodore, Roy, Vegas 2025 2nd and Wsh 2025 3rd
then trade Theodore to a team like Utah for their 2025 1st( top 10 protected), Carolina 2026 3rd, and Barrett Hayton. With Theodore signing an extension with Utah.
then use the available cap space to sign Tarasenko and use some of the assets acquire and Jarnkrok to trade for a Colton Ross.

The easy solution would be to keep Theodore, but I don't see that with OEL and Liljegren signing with us.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If we were to move Kampf+Jarncrok and go cheap on the 4thline (2.7m combined for Dewar + 2UFA's/Kids) there's 3.85 to add a top 9 forward to make a 22 man roster.

Reactions: aingefan

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

I'm a little worried the Avalanche will trade them Ross for a nice cheap young forward or something though.
This is like the 5th post you’ve referred to him as Colton Ross.

Am I missing something here?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
i continue to maintain that keller+ for marner is the best outcome for us.

Why?

1) Keller could potentially play as a centre (yes he's played RW for the last 7 years but still gives us optionality in a pinch).
2) 3 years at 7.125M which is a steal
3) he's put up 86 and 76 pts with 37 and 33 goals the last two years. With less focus on him and more on matthews and a winger like nylander or knies and a better PP here he could be 85pts+ here consistently.
4) He can pk
5) we save 4M to spend on another top 4 guy LIKE ross in a trade.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
re: Colorado cap situation

If the leafs could get a 3rd team involved to retain cap space, a deal centred around Nick Robertson and Ross Colton would be fantastic. Colton is a legit 3C with an extremely high compete and can chip in 40 points. Colton and Knies would make for 2/3 of a good 3rd line.

To Toronto: Ross Colton (1 million retained by MTL)
To Colorado: Nick Robertson, Calle Jarnkrok
To Montreal: 3rd round pick, 4th round pick from Tor.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is like the 5th post you’ve referred to him as Colton Ross.

Am I missing something here?

Just my brain switching his first and last name since typically Colton is a first name and Ross is a last name. Ross Colton. Is that better? I'll get it right next time.

Reactions: Knies iT

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If the rumor of Marner to Vegas is true I wonder what could we get from Vegas. The obvious answer would be Theodore or Pietrangelo, but our d corp is set and I don't buy that Liljegren is going to be traded any time soon.

I wonder could a 3 way deal happen where
we trade Marner for Theodore, Roy, Vegas 2025 2nd and Wsh 2025 3rd
then trade Theodore to a team like Utah for their 2025 1st( top 10 protected), Carolina 2026 3rd, and Barrett Hayton. With Theodore signing an extension with Utah.
then use the available cap space to sign Tarasenko and use some of the assets acquire and Jarnkrok to trade for a Colton Ross.

The easy solution would be to keep Theodore, but I don't see that with OEL and Liljegren signing with us.
I see Vancouver as a prime landing spot for Theodore. Their current 2nd pair is Soucy-Myers. They could benefit from Theodore as 2LD and sliding Soucy to 3LD. He's also a local kid which gives them an advantage when going to re-sign him. I don't see the short term fit with Utah - Valimaki is a luxury at 3LD and Cole is a perfect partner for Durzi at 2LD.

Maybe something like:

To VGK: Marner, Dewar (4C replacement)
To TOR: Roy, Willander, VGK 25 2nd, VAN 25 2nd
To VAN: Theodore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad