Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
One thing that gone unnoticed is that Tanev, OEL, Domi, Lilly and Stolarz all signed for multi year deals.
Barring any trades, MM and JT are two coming off the payroll next year but we already seen the Woll deal which is about 3mil more than his current deal. Knies and McCabe will both need a new contract and I think they will get a 3mil increase each. That’s 9mil more than the current cap.
Plus you gotta replace JT and MM

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
There would still be insane value in trading Marner to Utah for something around Crouse and futures, get heavier up front and re-stock assets.

Pionk would most likely be available from Winnipeg, a really good second pair D to round out the defence for a low cost asset wise, and only 5.8million for a year towards cap.

Then get Colton from Colorado, for someone like Robertson.

Crouse-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Colton-Nylander
Cowan-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves
Holmberg

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Pionk
OEL-Liljegren
Benoit

Woll
Stolarz

Waive Timmins and Murray, that should fit under the cap with around 500k left.

A very physically imposing team, with lots of cap next year to accomodate for the raises of Knies and Woll, with Tavares' cap coming off the books - just need to figure out the 2/3C situation.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the players want no part of a market that cares, they can stay the hell out.
1719862807640.jpeg

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I doubt that.
Bc they just gave 4.5 to Tanev and 3.5 to OEL.
I don’t think Leafs got outbid, it was more Z’s choice
Here is an article from when he was a flame

1719862997731.png

Friendman just said that Leafs didn't value Zadorov at 5M AAV; while Boston did. Leafs could also have did his contract like Tanev all in signging bonuses fully front loaded but chose not to

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don’t buy this players don’t want to be in Toronto bc of medias.. and how the Marner stuff is driving them away…. Didn’t Marner just said he is being treated like a God in Toronto?

no that's not what he said.

This is what he said

"“It means the world,” he said sincerely. “Obviously, we’re looked upon as… you know, kind of gods here to be honest. And it’s something that you really appreciate.”"

Now tell me he's wrong? most people who ever wore the crest is basically loved in this city (if enough time passes enough). the team (when they play well) are placed on a great pedestal. (hell if they make a massive hit they're treated like royalty for a month).

We all know what Marner meant but it's so freaking frustrating to people playing obtuse and using this to brow beat this guy into submission because he doesn't play like Darcy Tucker and Shayne Corson (who for the record. are still very much looked on MUCH fondly in these parts).

Reactions: Forgotusername

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Jarnkrok - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
Ekman-Larsson - Benoit

Woll - Stolarz

This team looks like a wildcard team at best…

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As a retired hockey coach, I'd be quitting this team before even being behind the bench once !!!

f*** Pelley, Shanaahan, and Treliving !!! Was Dubas really the problem ???

Yes Dubas was the problem and yes f*** pelley, shanahan and treliving.

dubas is the one that convinced shanahan that overpaying matthews and marner was the right thing. Shanahan is on record saying... befre their rfa deals "we want our young leaders to give home discounts so we can keep them together"

Reactions: Jmo89 and Cleetus

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
i keep saying this.

if i were the League office. these are the bullets i'd use at the next CBA negotiations. you people want to have 50% of the revenue but you don't want to live/work in the places that systematically helps drum up most of it? you want to be able to hide wherever and be a footnote in the sports section? okay. then the split we get reflects that.

Like Friedmann saying people saw how the media treated Marner? HOW did the Media treat Marner? when he was on a god-tearing clip - the sun shone out of his behind. when he super struggled it was reported on. it's not like the media stripped him down, threw tomatoes and garbage at him and cried shame! shame! shame!
Canadian teams should get together and come up with some proposals for the next CBA talks. 30% of the league accounting for over 60% of league revenues gives Canadian teams leverage. Use it.

Reactions: HolyCrap

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hankanpaa to the leafs. Made sense. Hoping its for super cheap. Needed a physical body back there for sure.

He can play too. He had an unfortunate injury last year which caused him to miss games, but he was a regular for Dallas

He should come in super cheap. Could be a great low risk value contract because I think his injury lowered his value

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad