Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Bob says Leafs and Oilers in on Skinner

how the F does oilers even have cap space to do this? Are they moving cap out? they have 3M AAV in dead cap because of Neal and Campbell buyouts too this year and have about 7M to fill in reaminder of the roster spots including re-signging their RFAs Holloway and Broberg (who were important in their playoff run)

1719862082931.png

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That comment is made up by Friedman. Grasping at straws just to fill a point. If the media is such a big issue, why does Marner love playing in TO so much? Same for Matthews and Nylander, both could have bolted.

Does Friedman think Boston is a better place to play if you suck? How about Philadelphia? Not at all. If this Leafs core sucked this hard for so many years in those cities, they would be done.

Why do you guys think you know more than insiders? Friedman isn’t the first person to say this today. Players talk, it’s time for HF Boards armchair insiders and GM’s to understand that it’s 100% a factor.

Yes some players would love to be in Toronto. But the reality is most don’t. They don’t want to get shit on daily. And let’s be honest in Philly and in Boston the hockey teams are like the third/fourth most popular teams. US Media give a shit about hockey. ESPN didnt even cover it until this year.

Boston

Patriots
Red Sox
Celtics
Bruins

Philly

Eagles
Phillies
76’ers
Flyers

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One thing that gone unnoticed is that Tanev, OEL, Domi, Lilly and Stolarz all signed for multi year deals.
Barring any trades, MM and JT are two coming off the payroll next year but we already seen the Woll deal which is about 3mil more than his current deal. Knies and McCabe will both need a new contract and I think they will get a 3mil increase each. That’s 9mil more than the current cap.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why do you guys think you know more than insiders? Friedman isn’t the first person to say this today. Players talk, it’s time for HF Boards armchair insiders and GM’s to understand that it’s 100% a factor.

Yes some players would love to be in Toronto. But the reality is most don’t. They don’t want to get shit on daily. And let’s be honest in Philly and in Boston the hockey teams are like the third/fourth most popular teams. US Media give a shit about hockey. ESPN didnt even cover it until this year.

Boston

Patriots
Red Sox
Celtics
Bruins

Philly

Eagles
Phillies
76’ers
Flyers
Or the simple fact that Bruins is a better team than the Leafs and actually won more than ONE round in the past 8 years

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If the players want no part of a market that cares, they can stay the hell out.

i keep saying this.

if i were the League office. these are the bullets i'd use at the next CBA negotiations. you people want to have 50% of the revenue but you don't want to live/work in the places that systematically helps drum up most of it? you want to be able to hide wherever and be a footnote in the sports section? okay. then the split we get reflects that.

Like Friedmann saying people saw how the media treated Marner? HOW did the Media treat Marner? when he was on a god-tearing clip - the sun shone out of his behind. when he super struggled it was reported on. it's not like the media stripped him down, threw tomatoes and garbage at him and cried shame! shame! shame!

Reactions: Jmo89

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I honestly think people underestimate how much of an issue the weather likely is for a lot of players.

Not just weather but cost of living and quality of life. Traffic in Toronto sucks. As a Maple Leaf you either have to live Downtown or in Mississauga, you can’t live in the east end. You can’t live that far and commute in for practice, you’d be late everyday

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Can you imagine if athletes didn't want to play for:
The Yankees
LA Lakers
LA Dodgers
Patriots
Manchester united

Because the media is too critical?
yeah but they win for the most part. that's not really a good example. my example is more of notice how players still want to play for the Knicks, Cowboys, and anywhere in Pennsylvania and their media is savage.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
yeah but they win for the most part. that's not really a good example. my example is more of notice how players still want to play for the Knicks, Cowboys, and anywhere in Pennsylvania and their media is savage.

Their media is the same Daisy but those players are critiqued for their play. Their salary is never apart of the conversation. Not to mention those

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t buy this players don’t want to be in Toronto bc of medias.. and how the Marner stuff is driving them away…. Didn’t Marner just said he is being treated like a God in Toronto?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Shanahan being the common denominator !!!

So much for Pelley saying there will be changes !!!

so what exactly - and realistically - did you want the Leafs to do?
beg the players who didn't want toplay in Canada to pretty please change their minds?
to just throw Marner out the nearest exit and say thanks for the memories and everything is peaches?

it's July 1st. When Shanahan was first hired it took him a year to legit burn it all to the ground. whatever you want Pelley to do it's not going to happen that quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: ER89

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I can’t believe Berube is happy with Lilly and OEL on the D, add that to Rielly’s defensive ineptitude and things are looking ugggggggggly………….

I remember there was a rumour when Blues traded for Krug, Berube wasn't happy. This would be interesting as season progresses

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I can’t believe Berube is happy with Lilly and OEL on the D, add that to Rielly’s defensive ineptitude and things are looking ugggggggggly………….
As a retired hockey coach, I'd be quitting this team before even being behind the bench once !!!

f*** Pelley, Shanaahan, and Treliving !!! Was Dubas really the problem ???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad