Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Well, if all comes to fruition, the defense is better, and will make you earn everything. Been waiting for a group like this for a long time.

We can't fix everything this year, so we'll have to be after depth scoring at the deadline, and make key additions next summer.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Is it official that the leafs are not qualifying Liljegren? I get the risk an arbitrator might give him more than the leafs are comfortable but seems kind of wild to let him walk.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No reason not to keep Liljegren around due to cost and age but if you think he’s going to take a quantum leap in development I have my doubts. His compete level is on the low side and that’s not something that improves with time. His biggest problem outside of being neither offensively productive and defensively strong is opponents push him out of games too easily.

Doesn't it depend on his compensation?

Leafs playoffs defense had how many retained salaries on defense?

McCabe, Edmundson and Lyubushkin were all retained salary. Those retentions cost assets.

If you can get Liljegren in for ~2mm per season for a couple seasons, you're coming out ahead. If he continues to develop, which most players do after 200 games, even better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn't it depend on his compensation?

Leafs playoffs defense had how many retained salaries on defense?

McCabe, Edmundson and Lyubushkin were all retained salary. Those retentions cost assets.

If you can get Liljegren in for ~2mm per season for a couple seasons, you're coming out ahead. If he continues to develop, which most players do after 200 games, even better.

Yeah I would keep him at the salary you assume he’s in line for. No problem with that and treat him like a reclamation. But I also fundamentally don’t believe in the player and I don’t think he’s much of a competitor. Upside is going to be limited by his low drive.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Nothing wrong with Zadorov. He's a big-time player, especially in the playoffs too.

Funny reading the Bruins board and they all want Zadorov and compare him to having Chara. Meanwhile we dont want him
He's a #5 who can play like a #4 on occasion. He will not be worth the money he signs for and Toronto is better off spending ~1 million more on someone like Roy

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Nothing wrong with Zadorov. He's a big-time player, especially in the playoffs too.

Funny reading the Bruins board and they all want Zadorov and compare him to having Chara. Meanwhile we dont want him
we get Zadorov then we don't have keep overpaying and giving up assets for physical defense at the deadline either which is a plus.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Tanev is 34. I think he is done at 36 and will be an anchor unless he is on Robidas Island
I think it'll work out and you very well could be right but either way I'm happy to have him on board and otherwise he's a way higher cap hit at less years. I'll eat crow later lol.

If he could do what Chara did... be amazing.

Chara did seem to get better with age. You never know.
we get Zadorov then we don't have keep overpaying and giving up assets for physical defense at the deadline either which is a plus.
This is a fair point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The best defenseman that are willing to sign with Toronto are Tanev and Zadorov. Even if Zadorov isn't perfect, he is the most gifted one that would potentially sign a contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if they steer towards Hakanpaa if Zadorov goes to Boston.

No we have to get Zadorov here. Check out the number of picks we’ve surrendered to rent Schenn, Edmundson, Lyubushkin twice and it’s pretty obvious we need to lock that player type up to save costs on draft capital.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I just don't think this will be a contract that anyone will ever complain about when they watch the player. Now,a guy like Montour? That will be a terrible contract.
If he drops off like Brodie did and still has a couple of years to go on his contract, you better believe people will be complaining. If you don't think that's what would happen then you're just kidding yourself.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Is it official that the leafs are not qualifying Liljegren? I get the risk an arbitrator might give him more than the leafs are comfortable but seems kind of wild to let him walk.
can they not walk away from the decision?

only the fans of Leaf Nation that don;t understand hockey don't want him..............

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad