Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sucks to lose Bisson but Jacobs and Wotherspoon makes up for it. Still not convinced up front though. And while I don,t want a spot or 2 taken by too many vets....I would have added more in the top 9. At least 1 more.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I don't share your optimism with regards the lineup unless they send down all 3 you mentioned, and maybe even RHP as well. Just don't see the team competing for a playoff spot against more experienced teams with better veterans. This looks more like the goal is purely development at the expense of winning.
It all comes down to health and call ups. They were neck and neck for playoffs for half the year, then lost key guys to injury not to mention the Habs calling up their best forward for extended periods and they still barely missed the playoffs. Not to mention, Dobes will be better this year after the rough start to last year he had.

Your assessment of Dobes says more about you than about him.

Arseneau is Mckay's replacement/upgrade. I don't think he'll be back.

Jones will probably back up Bouthillier or Emond. Hasn't really shown anything even at the ECHL level. If injuries occurs, he'll warm the AHL bench and allow TR to still play a good goalie.

Jakov is unlikely to be in the AHL as it's already full. The 1-way is just so he gets a legit salary and doesn't go to Europe.

RHP getting sent down would be surprising.
RHP’s 15 minutes are up. He’s no longer doing what made him successful. He was horrible last year and I don’t see who he bumps out of the lineup. I can’t see him making the team unless he goes back to driving the net and being an agitator

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It all comes down to health and call ups. They were neck and neck for playoffs for half the year, then lost key guys to injury not to mention the Habs calling up their best forward for extended periods and they still barely missed the playoffs. Not to mention, Dobes will be better this year after the rough start to last year he had.

RHP’s 15 minutes are up. He’s no longer doing what made him successful. He was horrible last year and I don’t see who he bumps out of the lineup. I can’t see him making the team unless he goes back to driving the net and being an agitator

He was injured for a big part of last year. We'll see how he does this year.

If he pass through waivers, we would really need to do some 2 for 1 trades of lesser prospects like Kidney and Perreault.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

RHP is a warm body that will be pressboxed more than likely. Better him than someone with a future.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He was injured for a big part of last year. We'll see how he does this year.

If he pass through waivers, we would really need to do some 2 for 1 trades of lesser prospects like Kidney and Perreault.
I know but his start was horrible and when he returned he was horrible.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Heineman - Gignac - ABB
Farrell - Dauphin - Mesar
Perreault - Beck - Simoneau
Davidson - Condotta - Tuch
Arseneau, Kidney, Xhekaj (or back to junior)

Swap Perreault and Tuch, and then launch Perreault into the sun. I don't know if I saw that guy put together two good puck touches in his games with us last year.

Watching Flo terrorize the CHL would be very funny.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Took the time to look at the Rocket potential lineup and it's going to be a really interesting year, lots of prospects with a very good Vet group too after all

***For the Goalies it's pretty set in stone now

Dobes
Hughes

Jones the new goalie is on a 2 way AHL/ECHL contract and will fill in in case of injury

*** For Defensemen, I'm expecting Mailloux to start in the NHL

HutsonReinbacher
EngstromStruble
TrudeauJacobs
SevignyWotherspoon

Can't wait to see how this will work out and how the youngsters will look, expecting Hutson, Reinbacher and Struble to see action in the NHL at some point. Struble may start as 8th D in the NHL or if we have injuries to start the season, like we always do.

*** For the forward group tho, it's THE congestion, 16 names, even with Roy graduated
how the lines will end up is anyone's guess, here hoping the kids get strong showing options and good minutes,
Gignac and ABB will still be top6 bound tho.
What stands out is that all these forwards are on either 2way(NHL/AHL) or one way (AHL), so no 2way(AHL/ECHL) in this mix, which will add to the headache

FarrellBeckMesar
HeinemanGignacABB
TuchKidneyXhekaj
DavidsonSimoneauDauphin
NovakPerreaultCondotta
Arseneau

please don't nitpick those lines, I doubt them too lol. It's just a guess and I expect some of the vets to take spots I reserved for the kids,
All will depend on the new coach and his vision

Reactions: overlords

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
RHP is a warm body that will be pressboxed more than likely. Better him than someone with a future.
Mailloux is below Hutson and Reinbacher on the depth chart and Habs already have 7 Ds up anyway.

Also, Wotherspoon is one of the AHL top (defensive) dmen with great leadership, he's going to be suited every games, he's not going to be on the 4th pair...
They really needed that veteran D last year. I don’t totally blame the D though. The team was just bad defensively. I really hope they name a new captain and ditch Bourque (unless they already have?)

Swap Perreault and Tuch, and then launch Perreault into the sun. I don't know if I saw that guy put together two good puck touches in his games with us last year.

Watching Flo terrorize the CHL would be very funny.
There’s no way Flo isn’t in the lineup. Especially over Perrault.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
They really needed that veteran D last year. I don’t totally blame the D though. The team was just bad defensively. I really hope they name a new captain and ditch Bourque (unless they already have?)

There’s no way Flo isn’t in the lineup. Especially over Perrault.

I wouldn't commit to anything before seeing everyone at training camp, but my guess/preference at a lineup would have Flo as 3rd C with Tuch and SIMONO. Anything less than that and I don't feel like he gets enough ice time/exposure to merit going pro just yet. I'm biased though, because I watched every one of Arber's games for Kitchener and Hamilton in 2021-22 and it was some of the most fun I've had following a prospect.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Mailloux is below Hutson and Reinbacher on the depth chart and Habs already have 7 Ds up anyway.

Also, Wotherspoon is one of the AHL top (defensive) dmen with great leadership, he's going to be suited every games, he's not going to be on the 4th pair...
Mailloux spent a year in the AHL and is also older, I'm hoping he could start the year with Xhekaj as a pair as I think he would progress more with the habs than another year n the AHL.
Yes Hutson and Reinbacher are ahead of him but for now Reinbacher needs to get used to NA rinks and play style and Hutson can start in the NHL but why the rush? won't hurt for him to get used to the rough AHL. I just figured the one that will most benefit from playing with the habs is Mailloux. Talking about the season start here, they will all end up playing for the habs anyway

agree for Wotherspoon, he may end up playing with Trudeau or Engstrom, it's just that Jacobs is an RD and also pretty solid and Wotherspoon is LD

Reactions: mdk

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So people were worried Slaf would be targeted in the AHL but not worried about Hutson?

Hutson doesn't have the 1st overall status and Hutson has also played at his size his entire life. Slaf had some elements as a younger kid that they needed to coach out and there was less head hunting in the NHL than in the AHL. He still got rocked early, not an issue now, but now that it isn't an issue, he's become a fantastic player.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Mailloux spent a year in the AHL and is also older, I'm hoping he could start the year with Xhekaj as a pair as I think he would progress more with the habs than another year n the AHL.
Yes Hutson and Reinbacher are ahead of him but for now Reinbacher needs to get used to NA rinks and play style and Hutson can start in the NHL but why the rush? won't hurt for him to get used to the rough AHL. I just figured the one that will most benefit from playing with the habs is Mailloux. Talking about the season start here, they will all end up playing for the habs anyway

agree for Wotherspoon, he may end up playing with Trudeau or Engstrom, it's just that Jacobs is an RD and also pretty solid and Wotherspoon is LD
Mailloux is currently not behind Reinbacher. Mailloux had a terrific season and improved defensively by leaps and bounds. Reinbacher may ultimately become the better player but to say he is ahead of Logan is simply not an opinion many will share at this time.

Reactions: Garnet76

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Your assessment of Dobes says more about you than about him.

Arseneau is Mckay's replacement/upgrade. I don't think he'll be back.

Jones will probably back up Bouthillier or Emond. Hasn't really shown anything even at the ECHL level. If injuries occurs, he'll warm the AHL bench and allow TR to still play a good goalie.

Jakov is unlikely to be in the AHL as it's already full. The 1-way is just so he gets a legit salary and doesn't go to Europe.

RHP getting sent down would be surprising.
Don't get me wrong, the team didn't play well in front of Dobes, but his inability to know where the net was didn't help him, or his team at the start of the year.

I wonder of John Parker Jones will be brought back for the ECHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Don't get me wrong, the team didn't play well in front of Dobes, but his inability to know where the net was didn't help him, or his team at the start of the year.

I wonder of John Parker Jones will be brought back for the ECHL.
Dobes was a college kid getting acclimated to the pro game. From Christmas on I would argue he was as good as any goalie in the entire league. He became that good.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Dobes was a college kid getting acclimated to the pro game. From Christmas on I would argue he was as good as any goalie in the entire league. He became that good.
Oh yeah he really settled down which helped the team settle down.

I was just saying at the start the team was disorganized as f***, which lead to them cheating for offense, which gave up even more odd man chances against Dobes. I'm just saying at the start the guy lost his net waaaaay too much, but he worked on it and I'm assuming the staff did and he played well. Kept Laval in alot of games. If they had more competent d and actually good generate offense without cheating for it they would have made the playoffs.

With, in all likelihood ABB as a game breaker in the A, Gignac, hopefully Farrell takes another step, Mailloux on the back end... Laval should be good. I think I might be more excited to see Laval than the Habs to be honest.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Oh yeah he really settled down which helped the team settle down.

I was just saying at the start the team was disorganized as f***, which lead to them cheating for offense, which gave up even more odd man chances against Dobes. I'm just saying at the start the guy lost his net waaaaay too much, but he worked on it and I'm assuming the staff did and he played well. Kept Laval in alot of games. If they had more competent d and actually good generate offense without cheating for it they would have made the playoffs.

With, in all likelihood ABB as a game breaker in the A, Gignac, hopefully Farrell takes another step, Mailloux on the back end... Laval should be good. I think I might be more excited to see Laval than the Habs to be honest.
I think Laval has done a decent job quickly. The only move I don't like is letting Bisson move on, he was solid.
Signing Vincent Arseneau is huge, he is easily one of the most feared fighters in the league. Much needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I don't think we let Bisson go, I think he chose to move on. Even with a NHL contract offer from us I think he would have gone to Tampa for the same offer.

He is in his prime and must seize any chance he has to taste the NHL. Our goal is to prepare our young future and would have loved him to mentor the kids. Chances are we would not recall him.

Tampa is much thinner on D prospects. They used very ordinary call ups at D last year. Probably felt he had a better chance at playing a few games and from there you never know.

Would not be surprised for him to play in the show some this year. Similar to ABB for us.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Hutson doesn't have the 1st overall status and Hutson has also played at his size his entire life. Slaf had some elements as a younger kid that they needed to coach out and there was less head hunting in the NHL than in the AHL. He still got rocked early, not an issue now, but now that it isn't an issue, he's become a fantastic player.
Plus, seems like Laval added a crap ton more toughness. I don’t see opponents running guys as much this coming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad