Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
they don't pass the first filter, it's a blessing in disguise..............

I mean if Brett Pesce can’t stand the white hot glare of the Carolina spotlight, maybe going home to Tarrytown is the best option after all.

Reactions: rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He averaged 17 minutes a night in Vancouver

He's also 29 years old, we're not unlocking some untapped potential. He had a great playoff run but for the most part he's a #5 who is about to get paid like a top 4 defender

Chances are we aren’t going to see a massive developmental improvement in Zadorov but you also never know. Montour and Forsling are a little older and a little younger than Zadorov and they just hit a new level for some inexplicable reason in Florida after being hot housed on 2 big playoff runs.

Reactions: WillNy29

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
He averaged 17 minutes a night in Vancouver

He's also 29 years old, we're not unlocking some untapped potential. He had a great playoff run but for the most part he's a #5 who is about to get paid like a top 4 defender
He was consistently over 20 min a night in the playoffs. He’s a second pairing defenseman who has been improving and had a great playoffs. His skating is amazing for his size, and he’s physical. He’s a 2nd pairing guy at this point, and I am sure the leafs see it the same way. Sometimes you also just need the right team, partner, system, etc to get the most out of a player.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Nothing wrong with Zadorov. He's a big-time player, especially in the playoffs too.

Funny reading the Bruins board and they all want Zadorov and compare him to having Chara. Meanwhile we dont want him
I really want him. He's like Edmundson except he can stay healthy. We've really needed more grit on our blueline. We added it upfront last year, now we need to add it on the backend to really see the transformation.

Reactions: OVO16

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Chances are we aren’t going to see a massive developmental improvement in Zadorov but you also never know. Montour and Forsling are a little older and a little younger than Zadorov and they just hit a new level for some inexplicable reason in Florida after being hot housed on 2 big playoff runs.
We can hope but Florida's pro scouting is 1000x better than ours, they also got Marchment, Verhaege, Bennett etc. Those guys just know how to identify underutilized talent in a way no other team in the NHL can

He was consistently over 20 min a night in the playoffs. He’s a second pairing defenseman who has been improving and had a great playoffs. His skating is amazing for his size, and he’s physical. He’s a 2nd pairing guy at this point, and I am sure the leafs see it the same way.
I'd rather not pay him 5 million+ longterm because he had 13 good games in one playoff run. Especially when he has been a career 3rd pair guy

He has a lot of qualities I like and are needed in Toronto, but his pricepoint is too much

Reactions: stickty111

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The team should just withhold revenue sharing cheques.
Yeah, that'll go over like a Led Zeppelin...

That's collectively bargained, and we're locked in.

The entire CBA is a farce. The whole salary cap serves nobody paying platinums, golds, reds, blues, greens and standing room down at old Scotiabank Arena.
I don't think the league exists for the Leafs' convenience, as much as we'd like it to.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We can hope but Florida's pro scouting is 1000x better than ours, they also got Marchment, Verhaege, Bennett etc. Those guys just know how to identify underutilized talent in a way no other team in the NHL can

I dunno man. At various times I’ve called for Verhaeghe, Bennett, Perry, C. Brown to be acquired by Toronto just watching a few random out of market playoff games. Zadorov passed that same superficial armchair scouting.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Leafs are already jammed on the wings of younger guys looking for ice time .. I wouldn't bother with a project.
Yeah that’s true. I was thinking we may still be moving Marner and possibly jarnkrok which would open up a few spots.

But I think this year is the exact year to take on a project if we don’t move Marner though. We have to spend our money on defence and we’ll need cheap forwards to accommodate. See who works this year and then next year when Tavares and Marner are gone, fill in the rest.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I dunno man. At various times I’ve called for Verhaeghe, Bennett, Perry, C. Brown to be acquired by Toronto just watching a few random out of market playoff games. Zadorov passed that same superficial armchair scouting.
I mean the thing with those signings are they were cheap and low-risk

We are taking a 5 million+ longterm risk under the idea a 29 year old who had 13 good playoff games is now a top 4 defenseman. I like Zadorov, just not at the price he is going to get tomorrow

Reactions: Zero1 and Gallagbi

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So if we're saying the CBA is what counts, then following the CBA is what matters.

I believe LTIR is part of the CBA?

NHL ...

1719773611364.png

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Funny how this shit only gets noticed the second Toronto starts doing it. f*** Gary and f*** the NHL
I mean Robidas Island is nearly 10 years old now...

and this issue, in particular, is more akin to the old 10+ year contracts like the ones that Kiprusoff and Franzen had.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
They would have to prove that there was some kind of agreement to retire prior to the contract expiring. No idea how they could do that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't think the league exists for the Leafs' convenience, as much as we'd like it to.

All pro leagues thrive by making sure their biggest franchises are the most successful, stocked by the biggest stars and pushing the boundaries of financial investment.

Premier league doesn’t knee cap its big clubs so Wolverhampton can win.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Would definitely have interest in Raddysh in a 4th line role. Never a bad thing to add some right handed shooters throughout the entire lineup with size.

Reactions: aingefan

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
They would have to prove that there was some kind of agreement to retire prior to the contract expiring. No idea how they could do that.
Just seems like a scare tactic. They probably know they couldn’t prove anything

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if Bertuzzi is around the same ballpark? Locking them up under 8M would be pretty decent all things considered. It's not perfect and plenty of other work for Treliving to do but it's the minimum of being able to get back on track.

Leafs absolutely need to lock up Tanev and another quality RHD.

Reactions: Jmo89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad