Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good on Treliving for starting up a trend for this offseason and increasing the cost of doing business for a divisional rival! It just unfortunately appears that Tampa is poised to remain as a force to be reckoned with.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Paying a 3rd for rights is crazy high
Especially considering in 24 more hours he's free to talk to anyone... Why not just wait.

I get it's only a third, and Guentzel will be way more important... but still, why throw away an asset.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
What Tampa is doing, what Vegas has constantly done is the reason why these teams are cup contenders year in and year out. Our #1 problem is ownership. MLSE does not care about winning. I really wish we just had one billionaire hockey fanatic owner who actually had the passion to bring a championship to Toronto. Then, and only then will this team prioritize winning over ticket and merchandise sales.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Sergachev is a great player but like the leafs, he wasn’t part of Tampa’s core 5. It was Kucherov, Vas, Hedman, Stamkos and Point as their best and highest paid forwards. Probably have Hagel there too. Like Toronto’s in Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly.
And now it looks like they're swapping out Stamkos for Guentzel.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
difference sometime between be in playoff and missed it its like 3 game... we dont know what will happen

vegas finished 8th after winning the cup

last year, Florida was 1 win from pittsburgh vs chicago

We just dont know what could happen
Such a cop out response lmao.

Its okay to have an opinion or predict what you think will happen.

Wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see Tampa ahead of the Leafs next season.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Especially considering in 24 more hours he's free to talk to anyone... Why not just wait.

I get it's only a third, and Guentzel will be way more important... but still, why throw away an asset.

Because Guentzel is about to be 30. He’s won cups. If he makes it to UFA and gets a 8.5/9 million offer he is most likely taking it.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
What Tampa is doing, what Vegas has constantly done is the reason why these teams are cup contenders year in and year out. Our #1 problem is ownership. MLSE does not care about winning. I really wish we just had one billionaire hockey fanatic owner who actually had the passion to bring a championship to Toronto. Then, and only then will this team prioritize winning over ticket and merchandise sales.
I don't think it's them not wanting to win. It's more about them becoming emotionally attached to the players.

The other organizations look at it from more of a business perspective.

Reactions: CincoHolio

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Tampa coldly traded sergachev after signing him and won't re sign there two time cup winning cha.o and made moves to get better and younger.

Our f***ing idiotic management is running it back again.

God the incompetence is baffling.
No they are not better..younger? They brought Mc Donagh in defense stop spilling poison on our management after every team makes a move..if we acquire a players right for a 3rd pick U would go and bark at Brad

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They also got some good young pieces in Geekie and Moser

Adding some offers I’ve depth overall but it does leave a gap in their blue line. I wonder if they go hunting in free agency

Yeah Moser and Geekie are pretty good young players for sure. Just not sure a quantity for quality makes sense when Serg has shown flashes of franchise defenseman potential.

Reactions: francis246

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I don't think it's them not wanting to win. It's more about them becoming emotionally attached to the players.

The other organizations look at it from more of a business perspective.
They're not attached to any players. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the MLSE brass doesn't even know every player on our team. All they care about is the money coming in and the money going in their pockets. That's the problem is, they're not attached to this team, if they were, they wouldn't be content with the last 9 years and changes would've been made

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

The team might make close to $50-60M if they went on a finals run. You think they don't want that?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tampa is making an aggressive play to sign what is probably the best FA. Worst case they are out a third. Best case they just got better.

Funny enough Carolina didn’t pay that much for Guentzel on their playoff run than the value they just recovered.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Tampa is making an aggressive play to sign what is probably the best FA. Worst case they are out a third. Best case they just got better.
Okay, back to my point.. Why on June 30th?
Again, I understand that Guentzel is a great add. But still seems like you're burning a 3rd for the sake of burning a 3rd...

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That doesn't add up - why wouldn't Guentzel wait a day then? He doesn't owe Tampa anything.

What are you talking about? Teams can trade for rights, what does that have to do with Guentzel? Guentzel didn’t request a trade to Tampa. Tampa acquired his rights to get a head start

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don’t really understand the whole sequence. It’s like they went through all that trouble to basically upgrade to Guentzel from Stamkos. At the cost of Sergachev who looked like he might be Hedman’s heir last year.

I guess it comes down to how good Connor geekie is

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Well, if he talks to another team, they may outbid them. Vancouver is supposedly very interested in him, and there may be others considering he's the top forward available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad