News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
Pain? We are bleeding out all over the floor over here and you talkin' about pain. Man, pain I wish it was pain, man they are chucking our organs into a Styrofoam containers and some kid on a bike named Dubas is peddling his ass off down the way with them laughing in hysterics.
If i could I'd nuke the entire team. I feel like this squad will never get it done, but now we're gonna get locked in for the long haul.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
There are an awful lot of people in this thrad who desperately need to check their calendars. It is Canada Day ffs, not the last day of training camp. There is still a lot of time to make moves, and if they are hamstrung by the NMCs (thanks to Kyle Spreadsheet Dubious) then they have to deal with that reality and ride it out until they are out from under the JT and MM contracts. After that, if JT wants to come back at a much lower salary then he can to play further down the lineup, and next year they can use the extra money to go shopping again.

They've done well with what they had to work with, except for the Murray signing which makes no sense, so we really don't have much to complain about (but some people still will because that is what they do).

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
Sens took the L in the Chychrun trade because they knew they needed a change. Leafs are afraid to move off a core piece. Refused last year with Nylander and this year with Marner. Most likely will not be willing to allow Marner to walk for free so instead they will pay him more than Willie. How can you compete with Florida when they just handed a 57 goal scorer and SC winner 8v8.625 while we pay playoff failures 13.25m,11.5m and probably cave to Marner at $12.5m? Answer, you cannot and here we are.
I'm close to tapping out on this franchise

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Sens took the L in the Chychrun trade because they knew they needed a change. Leafs are afraid to move off a core piece. Refused last year with Nylander and this year with Marner. Most likely will not be willing to allow Marner to walk for free so instead they will pay him more than Willie. How can you compete with Florida when they just handed a 57 goal scorer and SC winner 8v8.625 while we pay playoff failures 13.25m,11.5m and probably cave to Marner at $12.5m? Answer, you cannot and here we are.
the sens have taken an L on every trade they've made since they got Bobby Ryan

Last edited:

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Excited for the 89 games next season. I really wanted Tanev and OEL.........in 2017
Honestly we’ll be lucky to make it past 82 this year. Only takes an injury to Matthews/Willy and a continued Tavares decline and our completely unproven goaltending to fold. We could very easily miss.

Reactions: rumman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Might as well sign Marner for 8 years at this point, add in a full NMC also. Just keep the gang together forever
he’d expect 20% of the cap if he were to sign an 8 yr deal like the peasants sign. He’ll sign 12.75 x 4.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Honestly we’ll be lucky to make it past 82 this year. Only takes an injury to Matthews/Willy and a continued Tavares decline and our completely unproven goaltending to fold. We could very easily miss.
Just like last season, there is no realistic circumstance under which the leafs could miss the playoffs. What they do in the playoffs will be the question. A healthy lineup last season beats Boston in the first round, but probably doesn't get past Florida. Next season? Who knows.

Reactions: bax

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Every year MLSE has a buzz word that calms the masses.

This year: "major changes".

Last few years: "A process".

________

Come on people. You cannot expect Treliving to carve through the roster as though he were a middle school boy on EA Manager Mode.

I wanted a re-tool, but I thought that might be a lot to ask.

Did you think that players with no movement clauses were going to willingly waive them just to satisfy the fanbase's bloodlust?

Toronto spent so many bad years with no 1C. So just trade Matthews because you're pissed off and you want changes?

Go look at TOR's roster in 2008, and see how great it is to have Boyd Devereaux as your center, and Jonas Frogren as a defenseman. Not to mention The Monster / Rickard Wallin era.

I'm sorry. You are naive of you think that everyone was going to be traded and fired.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Throw out too much money to go along with too much term, while adding a NTC of some sort, and its amazing what kind of middle of the pack mediocre talent you can attract.

The only "major" change they've made so far is the coach. Other than an inconsequential Bertuzzi jumping teams the forward group is the same. Tanev replacing Brodie on defense is the only real change there.

A career backup in Stolarz replaces a career backup in Samsonov.

An injury prone unproven rookie with 39 career games played is now starter. To go along with a thirty year old career backup with 109 games played. Together they've played less games combined than MAF has in the playoffs alone.

That's your new and improved Stanley Cup contenders right there for ya folks.

A pair of deer in the headlight goalies. Three rejects real Stanley Cup contending teams didn't want on defense. A new coach to act as fall guy should the team take another step backwards again this year.

To go along with the exact same four forwards who have failed so miserably so many times already.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Once again, they are full of it. This team has re-tooled again for another run with the core 4. The blue line has improved, but unless they pick up some leadership on the front end, I don't see this team going far. I really hope I am wrong and Berube lights a fire under these guys and holds them accountable, but until I see it there is not much to be-leaf in things will change.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Shit man, at this point I'd accept them just taking the C from Tavares. That doesn't cost them any money, there's no Captaincy Protection Clause in his contract, and it is actually a major change in our leadership structure.

That Marner wasn't traded yesterday doesn't mean he won't be traded. But it really is frustrating to have all observable evidence up to this moment indicate that the coach was the major change. NHL teams change coaches all the time, but for MLSE firing the teddy bear coach and replacing him with the hard-ass is the big shakeup we've all been waiting for.

I'll change my tune if something dramatic happens, but dramatic changes should have happened after the Montreal series. They are already late, so they had better not ask for a cookie and a "job well done" on the day the big4 experiment finally ends. They'll get a "f***ing finally"!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm sorry. You are naive of you think that everyone was going to be traded and fired.

No one believed "everyone" was going to be traded and fired.
Just someone besides the most obvious and easy one, the coach.

Of course, it is only July 2nd and there is the entire summer and even the season to go, but you really can't blame the fan base for being both anxious and unconvinced.

The pattern has been pretty clear for 8 years and so I'd argue that it's naive to think that either running it back will work this time or that this organization truly intends to make any meaningful changes (as in, moving on from someone significant).

So we will wait and see but if you've bet against the Leafs breaking up the core and/or exiting quickly from the playoffs every year so far, you'd have won every single time. I'll still make that bet every time until it loses.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And we dont even own our 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks in 2025

Team is in a bad spot right now.
1719928466585.png

Yes. Jokes on you horner! Now buy the jersey and $300 ticket and be grateful to Rogers and Bell media for keeping you in the know and essentially sabotaging Leafs signing and trade deals. Or else! More price hikes and less televised games without subscriptions.

Oh and Happy Canada Day. Rogers and Bell require more taxpayer grants for more highspeed something or other.
Yeah Horner, make Keith Pelley and buy a jersey, if ever there was a confession through projection statement Pelley did it when he said we’re not here to sell jerseys…….

Reactions: thewave

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There are an awful lot of people in this thrad who desperately need to check their calendars. It is Canada Day ffs, not the last day of training camp. There is still a lot of time to make moves, and if they are hamstrung by the NMCs (thanks to Kyle Spreadsheet Dubious) then they have to deal with that reality and ride it out until they are out from under the JT and MM contracts. After that, if JT wants to come back at a much lower salary then he can to play further down the lineup, and next year they can use the extra money to go shopping again.

They've done well with what they had to work with, except for the Murray signing which makes no sense, so we really don't have much to complain about (but some people still will because that is what they do).
So far is this team better? Marginally at beast, can or will Marner be moved. I highly doubt it now. Will they resign Marner and overpay him again? Looks likely, I think your optimism will not be rewarded when they fail again inn the first round of the playoffs. God forbid they meet Boston in the first round, they’ll get destroyed………

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
To be fair, the title clearly states "could make massive changes". Nowhere is it written that it will happen.
I´m losing hope that this madness will end. MLSE seems to not learn from recurring mistakes.

Reactions: bodechek

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To be fair, the title clearly states "could make massive changes". Nowhere is it written that it will happen.
I´m losing hope that this madness will end. MLSE seems to not learn from recurring mistakes.
When has plain English ever stopped overreaction and disappointment? :laugh:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Of course, it is only July 2nd and there is the entire summer and even the season to go, but you really can't blame the fan base for being both anxious and unconvinced.

The pattern has been pretty clear for 8 years and so I'd argue that it's naive to think that either running it back will work this time or that this organization truly intends to make any meaningful changes (as in, moving on from someone significant).

So we will wait and see but if you've bet against the Leafs breaking up the core and/or exiting quickly from the playoffs every year so far, you'd have won every single time. I'll still make that bet every time until it loses.
The core players choked……AGAIN, so their solution is to change everything but the core AGAIN……….

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

It's more complex than that. It's not one or the other. You can't fully hate on this management group for making the playoffs every year. It's foolish to trade Matthews just to make things meaningful.

Why is signing Stolarz and OEL not meaningful, but punting Marner (cuffing him in the back of the head as he walks out the door) is?

Is "meaningful" just purly giving the fans their desired emotional response?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad