Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Feels like Tre doesnt have a strong sense of direction up front .. they are insistent on the blue line, but they have no idea what to do for the forwards

IMO Domi should be locked up for term regardless of "direction". But that's me, I was saying mid season that I want him around long term. He wants term, so do I. Really annoyed that this wasn't done in January.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
McMann + 3rd for B Tanev 50%?

Would be great either on a Knies - Tavares line or energy 4th line with Dewar - Holmberg

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
Every indication we have is he's going to keep the core four up front. Seems to be the sense of direction is very clear.

I had hopes that Marner was going to be moved, but it seems like that isn't going to happen
I still hope that Marner is traded on July 1st. With what Tre and Berube been saying and signaling, I hope it's just a smokescreen for Marner to be traded.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I do hope we resign Domi. Bertuzzi I am a bit iffy about. He's pretty slow and takes the odd dumb penalty. But tended to pick it up near the end of the year. I wouldn't complain if we didn't resign him tbh, but depends on the deal.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not saying this is the plan or likely at all or even that I would want it. But we could fit skinner In at 2.5 million on this team.

Plus. Trade. Kampf/jarnkrok/Lilly for 2025 picks.

IMG_1120.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Puckstuff

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Not factoring in any of the big free agent C signings. Getting Perron and trying to acquire Pageau retained or Ross Colton would make for a fun third line.

Perron - Colton/Pageau - McMann

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What is this based on? The first two aging problems that come to my mind are Marleau and getting rid of him cost us a lot and then Brodie who was great until he declined sharply at the tail end of his deal which is exactly what is likely to happen with Tanev.

What I want to know is why Domi isn't signed. I understandr that term is the hold up and I can't understand why. He's born to be a Leaf and is exactly the kind of player who I am NOT worried about giving term to and if we can reduce the AAV by giving him term, why not? I was saying mid season we should lock him up, it seems clear now that not doing so was a big mistake. Not being enthusiastic about a long term deal for Bertuzzi, that I can understand but Domi, I just don't see what the problem is here.
I suspect it's like Anders Lee and the Islanders a few years ago. The leafs likely already have a deal agreed to with Domi, but both sides have probably agreed to hold off finalizing so that the leafs can have cap space available for the next couple of days to make trades or other signings work.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
No clue how people even get interested and excited at the possibility of another Core 4 + pawn shop squad for next season.
I don’t think anyone is overly excited. But adding potential pieces like Roy and Tanev would give us the best d core we would have in a while.

Gotta spitball what we can since Shannahan won’t trade anyone

Reactions: Rude Dog

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t think anyone is overly excited. But adding potential pieces like Roy and Tanev would give us the best d core we would have in a while.

Gotta spitball what we can since Shannahan won’t trade anyone
I'd slightly disagree, defesnively sure it'd be a good squad but it doesn't really address the main issue of our D - we get zero offense from it, basically less than any other playoff team in the league.

All I want is for this organization to just take some risks to try and get to the next level yet they seem adamantly against it.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tanev at $4 million
Roy at $6 million
Zadorov at $5 million

Trade McCabe and Jarnkrok to free up money for Zadorov.

Rielly. Tanev
Zadorov. Roy
Benoit. Lilly

I think thats a pretty serious overhaul of the backend.

I would feel better about the rolling back similar forwards if the defense was rock solid.

I think the Marner situation needs to be resolved though either by trade or extension. It will be a massive distraction for everyone and limit the ability to properly build a team. We can all agree he cannot walk as a ufa so something needs to happen sooner than later.

Would it be that bad if we have him $12 million x 7 years? With Tavares coming off the books and assuming we shored up the defense, we would probably be in ok shape.

Do you realize than Roy bring absolutly nothing more than Mccabe except he's a RHD?

Reactions: Duffman955

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I suspect it's like Anders Lee and the Islanders a few years ago. The leafs likely already have a deal agreed to with Domi, but both sides have probably agreed to hold off finalizing so that the leafs can have cap space available for the next couple of days to make trades or other signings work.

I asked you why you're not worried about aging issues.

No clue how people even get interested and excited at the possibility of another Core 4 + pawn shop squad for next season.

It's weird for sure. Like people think that our core is awesome (notably Marner) and up to this point it's like Marner keeps saying in interviews - they're doing everything right and it's not their fault they keep losing. LOL.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Every indication we have is he's going to keep the core four up front. Seems to be the sense of direction is very clear.

I had hopes that Marner was going to be moved, but it seems like that isn't going to happen
What is he addressing though and where does he think our needs are? Last summer it was fighting and offensive wingers

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I asked you why you're not worried about aging issues.

It's weird for sure. Like people think that our core is awesome (notably Marner) and up to this point it's like Marner keeps saying in interviews - they're doing everything right and it's not their fault they keep losing. LOL.
The reality is we're stuck with Tavares, and trading Marner away for pennies on the dollar when Tavares is off the books next season doesn't make sense. It might be a similar outcome again, but it's all about 2025-26 when Tavares is gone.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The reality is we're stuck with Tavares, and trading Marner away for pennies on the dollar when Tavares is off the books next season doesn't make sense. It might be a similar outcome again, but it's all about 2025-26 when Tavares is gone.
If Marner waives the return will be great because most likely it’ll be a sign and trade……

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If Marner waives the return will be great because most likely it’ll be a sign and trade……
It's going to be a roster player, 1st round pick and a 3rd type trade imo. You can just never get fair value for superstars. If we could get a young star player in return, I'm open minded to it, but I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Does anything got done in a Sunday?

Quiet day to reload from the Draft and get ready for UFA opening tomorrow?

Giving a 6 year contract to a 34 year old feels like it’s just asking for all kinds of league attention around deliberately planning on circumventing LTIR/Robidas Island.

I know there are much more abuses by Vegas and Tampa Bay, but it always feels like Bettman uses the Leafs as an example…..
It's only 7 in the morning in Vegas, Brad said they will stay there a couple of days, things will happen today for sure

Reactions: LeafSteel

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

IMO there's a good argument to be made for trading Marner for pennies but whatever. And 2025-25 is more than likely to be a similar outcome, Tavares being gone isn't going to magically cure what's wrong with this team.

Reactions: aingefan and rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad