Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This is why many teams buy out or have to dump these players within a few seasons. I don't understand the argument that being willing to pay a lot of money for an average player, it must mean they are worth it like GMs don't make dumb decisions all the time

That's not really saying anything. Some contracts are good, some are bad, yes.

But has Allvin shown you anything to make you believe he's prone to overpaying guys? All of his signings have looked like good values, so if even he's willing to go $5+, that should tell you something.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Tre cooked on the trade back. Unfortunately on the second day trade he forgot to cook. I changed my mind, a 7th is garbage

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
You gotta hand it to TB.. they aren’t afraid to ship guys out.. young guys at that and change the dynamics of their team. We got a management crew who are scared shitless to ask a player to waive a NMC

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This draft is really showing us how risk adverse, ultra conservative and unimaginative the Shanahan regime is.

In a summer where big organizational change has been identified, I don't think you can stand pat on everything and keep the band together like you're protecting a championship recipe. Even if you can't move off a core piece, I think you owe it to optics to at least shuffle the deck a little, swap out a Jarnkrok and a Kampf or something that might imply a bigger restructuring later.

As boring off the ice as they are on it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You gotta hand it to TB.. they aren’t afraid to ship guys out.. young guys at that and change the dynamics of their team. We got a management crew who are scared shitless to ask a player to waive a NMC

Dumped Sergachev days away from his NTC kicking in.

I actually think moving off Serg is a bad idea at that price though but they do look like they're set up to take some big swings on the UFA market.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This draft is really showing us how risk adverse, ultra conservative and unimaginative the Shanahan regime is.

In a summer where big organizational change has been identified, I don't think you can stand pat on everything and keep the band together like you're protecting a championship recipe. Even if you can't move off a core piece, I think you owe it to optics to at least shuffle the deck a little, swap out a Jarnkrok and a Kampf or something that might imply a bigger restructuring later.

Or just that nobody want them on their team.

As that’s the reason why we want them to be off our team the first place.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011

I'm willing to retain 50% of Marner's deal if the signing bonus is that big of a deal. Holy cow, this team isn't it! The cap went up a record breaking amount and it's immediately nulled by just 2 of the core 4 and Mitch wants a big raise? You've got to be kidding. I'm pretty close to adding a sweetener in addition. Desperate for some kind of pulse from this group.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's not really saying anything. Some contracts are good, some are bad, yes.

But has Allvin shown you anything to make you believe he's prone to overpaying guys? All of his signings have looked like good values, so if even he's willing to go $5+, that should tell you something.

Yes? Allvin certainly isn't excused of this. He signed Kuzmenko and Mikheyev from the top of my head, and he's only been there since 2022.

It only tells me he wanted to keep the player, but the player will likely get more and term. It doesn't say much of anything. And it will likely be a mistake.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yes? Allvin certainly isn't excused of this. He signed Kuzmenko and Mikheyev from the top of my head.

It only tells me he wanted to keep the player, but the player will likely get more and term. It doesn't say much of anything. And it will likely be a mistake.

Good point - I thought Mickey was a Rutherford signing.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm willing to retain 50% of Marner's deal if the signing bonus is that big of a deal. Holy cow, this team isn't it! The cap went up a record breaking amount and it's immediately nulled by just 2 of the core 4 and Mitch wants a big raise? You've got to be kidding. I'm pretty close to adding a sweetener in addition. Desperate for some kind of pulse from this group.

I just find it incredulous that Marner wants a raise when he's overpaid to begin with, and his camp is going to make a big stink about it like this market is desperate to have him back or something.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I’m expecting a 8 year extension for Marner at this point. It’s super safe, that’s how this management team acts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes? Allvin certainly isn't excused of this. He signed Kuzmenko and Mikheyev from the top of my head, and he's only been there since 2022.

I've been watching Rutherford for decades now and one of the things about him is he makes a ton of moves, good, bad, ugly but he just keeps cooking, turning good assets into mistakes, mistakes into good assets again. He's dynamic, careless, risky. Kind of an agent of chaos. Not quite sure how he assembled 3 cup winners.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No I don't believe that, they're solid NHL players but just part of a whole recipe that doesn't work in Toronto.
Yes and no. As those players are always available in the UFA market, and they are not players who will be in a bidding war for signings.

Guys like Kampf and Calle are as common as they come, there is really nothing special about these two.

Lilly and Robbie are diff cases but maybe Tre isn’t selling them or the package are just meh.

MM is the extreme case.

Lastly, Leafs got no draft picks to trade and their prospects are meh beside Cowan and Minten.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00