Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
This draft is really showing us how risk adverse, ultra conservative and unimaginative the Shanahan regime is.

In a summer where big organizational change has been identified, I don't think you can stand pat on everything and keep the band together like you're protecting a championship recipe. Even if you can't move off a core piece, I think you owe it to optics to at least shuffle the deck a little, swap out a Jarnkrok and a Kampf or something that might imply a bigger restructuring later.

As boring off the ice as they are on it.
Very surprised we haven't traded bottom 6ers or lily for picks at this point. Very disappointed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There have been zero rumours the Leafs have any interest on removing those players. Very likely the Leafs want them around next year (not Samsonov)

The only player that I've seen in legit trade rumours is Liljegren.

Just my opinion, but a management group that is adamant on keeping interchangeable players like Jarnkrok and Kampf around as part of their plan next season demonstrates a level of conservativism that is straight up dysfunctional.

At the top, they can't move off their 5 biggest stars. They don't want to, it's too hard, they have too much faith in them, yada yada. Okay, we'll park this for now. Accept it for what it is.

They have a mercenary class of guys in Domi, Bertuzzi, Edmundson, etc. and they want to keep some of them but struggle to because of cap constraints. They also want to sign new guys to improve the roster so they are dependant on a dollar in dollar out approach, but otherwise constrained.

Then they have left over contracts that they simply "like?" If Bert and Domi are more impactful players you want to keep, you can't move off the top level players, then that means you have to make room at the very bottom by swapping out okay but not special players in Kampf and Jarnkrok.

This reminds me of when Toronto and Edmonton went defensemen shopping last spring. We spent more assets getting Jake McCabe than Edmonton did Mattias Ekholm because we were partially handcuffed by Holl and Kerfoot, whom management "liked."

These guys are too risk adverse and have no imagination or big picture thinking.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I dont want Tanev but I dont know why people are acting like Matt Roy and Zadorov wouldn't make our defense incredibly better than what its been in the past (if thats who we end up getting)

Matt Roy alone would be the best partner Reilly would have ever played with, and that says something right there

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Very surprised we haven't traded bottom 6ers or lily for picks at this point. Very disappointed.

Well, they also went into the draft talking about getting more picks.

Trading interchangeable roster pieces for picks and then doing some UFA shopping for similar players is a straight forward way of stocking the cupboards. But they just did the very least in a lame trade down.

Reactions: aingefan and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Man. Even on a cynical, bean counting level, someone needs to put the power point presentation together that new players = new jersey sales.
who wants a jersey of a hard working blue collar lunch pail type when you're used to flashy regular season playoff no shows? asking for a friend.............

Big changes my ass.

I can’t wait until Shanny is gone.
who's waiting around for that to happen?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I dont want Tanev but I dont know why people are acting like Matt Roy and Zadorov wouldn't make our defense incredibly better than what its been in the past (if thats who we end up getting)

Matt Roy alone would be the best partner Reilly would have ever played with, and that says something right there

They will likely make it better. But the salary cap will take a serious beating long-term, which is hard to fix if you make mistakes.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Tampa management makes ballsy moves and trades Serg and Jeannot and Tre is sitting on his hands cause Shananah doesn’t want to leave comfort zone. Leafs are f.cked, how come the biggest and passionate hockey club fan base is let down by a bunch of inept and conservative losers?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

Because of what they’ll probably get paid

Z is a bottom 3 d, will get paid like a top 3

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Because of what they’ll probably get paid

Z is a bottom 3 d, will get paid like a top 3
Theres a chance everyone will get overpaid by a good amount tomorrow. Right now we need to add talent and not waste Mathews prime.

You add a MAtt Roy and another top defenseman and you make this team better

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tampa management makes ballsy moves and trades Serg and Jeannot and Tre is sitting on his hands cause Shananah doesn’t want to leave comfort zone. Leafs are f.cked, how come the biggest and passionate hockey club fan base is let down by a bunch of inept and conservative losers?

Shanny is a damn fool.

If the 90s Red Wings were run the way he runs Toronto, they would have never made the trade that brought Shanahan to Detroit, none of their cups would have been won. It's just failure at all levels by paralysis.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
if Utah keeps it going I know what team I'll be following next season.............

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

All 3 of who you mentioned make this team better instantly

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm just getting ready to hear about how they didn't like the price on the UFA market and weren't ready to do business.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we're simply running back this group +Tanev/Zadorov and tweeners and minus Domi/Bert/Samsonov it might really be time to quit.
or at least take the year off and come back for the post playoff let down and lip service from mgmt whine fest................

I'm just getting ready to hear about how they didn't like the price on the UFA market and weren't ready to do business.
about they only thing this group has done is traded down. Long time before the puck's dropped again, but it's not looking good so far.........

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00