Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The trading of our 58th OA pick in this years draft for a 2nd rounder in next years draft, likely around the same spot as 58 and only receiving a 7th as compensation is not a good return IMO.

Either they were not thrilled with the available talent at that point in the draft, or they needed a future 2nd rounder to make another deal work down the line. Whether that’s in the immediate or at the TDL is yet to be determined.

Either way, a 7th rounder is just not enough IMO.

I don’t love it either but can see the logic behind it.

Basically cloned the 23rd pick into 3 picks. But that 7th should have come from Anaheim to begin with.

They probably also want the 2nd rounder as trade currency for next year vs an actual player.

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
Like five/ten years ago a GM was quoted saying something like I have to get rid of these bad contracts so I can sign a bunch of new ones. Was it ever revealed who said it? Was it Treliving?
I hope this is the right place to post this.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I don't think we are well liked. But did you notice last night, not a single team contragulated Florida Panthers and their win?

I don't think the Leafs are proactively looking to trade. We are going to get bunch of third liners and bring it all back

$18 mil in cap and a massive need for a top-4 dman, for sure we're getting one of the bigger names on D July 1st. Tanev, Roy or Zadorov at the very least.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It will be hard to really get a read on this offseason until the Mitch situation plays itself out and we know either he's coming back next season and what we need to do to improve or he's traded which will bring us back some major assets.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I get it but this year s
That second next year is currently that year’s highest pick, so yes.
we pick 1st then 5th??? this year
I just don't get the point of these things
picking 2nd this year or next year same to me no matter how little we have next year
trade a player for a 2nd next year then. pick this year would be a year ahead in the development

we gained a 7th rounder I believe in this...good business
anyways...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Aren't they almost capped out if they bring back Stamkos?

I doubt it. Stamkos is a paycut so his entire new contract will be taken care of by his old contract. That paycut will help re-sign Hedman.

This is pure carve out for other, new goodies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Thinking Toronto should have been in on Thompson for 2 3rds. Would have been a good combo with Woll on a cheap tandem.

Very good fit indeed. Dirt cheap and capable. But Treliving seems fixated on fixing the team by signing a bunch of players July 1st.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thinking Toronto should have been in on Thompson for 2 3rds. Would have been a good combo with Woll on a cheap tandem.

If Brossoit is going to be a similar level goalie, it makes more sense to pocket the 3rds and use them in other ways. But the trade off is Brossoit will have a healthy contract.

Reactions: Smif

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lol if every GM seems to be willing to pay big Z 5+, why do fans refuse to believe that he's worth it.

This is why many teams buy out or have to dump these players within a few seasons. I don't understand the argument that being willing to pay a lot of money for an average player, it must mean they are worth it like GMs don't make dumb decisions all the time

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00