Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We still need some puck moving on the backend

When things get tight we don't have enough defenseman who can make a play offensively
I'm just speaking purely from a "strong unit who can keep other teamsoff the sheet" sense. Man-for-man, a top 2-3 corps in my 40 years

Reactions: Kiwi

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
common trades.... Losing confidence by the day Tre.

Yeah, it's crazy eh? What you see on this roster is what you'll get.

We'll roll into October and start the season a few d-men short and with like $18M to spend. Just sitting there, waiting to be spent.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Just less than 14 hours until the draft starts, and Tre is having a nap. If we were going to trade Marner, I was hoping it would be pre-draft, to gain some higher end picks. I was hoping if we were moving out RFA’s, it would be pre-draft for the same reason. Obtaining McGroarty.. pre-draft…

But nothing, just crickets. Common trades, I’m getting bored, and more fearful they are just going to run it back.

If we do move Marner, I expect it will be after the signing bonus on July 1st.

Inconvenient timing perhaps, but I do believe teams can exceed the cap during off-season. This might come in handy if we have a Marner trade in place.

I expect the draft to be relatively quiet for our Leafs, and Canada Day to be a flurry of activity.

Or both quiet I guess... Which would be unfortunate.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I am starting to feel less and less confidence that we trade Marner than I did a week ago.

I can't imagine there being a long list of suitors lining up for July 1st 12:01AM when his bonus is due to pick him up. But who knows.

I would love Roy and Tanev/Zadorov/whichever D. But idk. All we know is that we're linked to everyone lol. I would have expected to there be rumours of deals already done with the Leafs.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Not sure what people are really expecting from Tre up to this point. Marner isn’t getting traded, imo. I’m sure he will be active come July 1st.

Reactions: bax

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I am starting to feel less and less confidence that we trade Marner than I did a week ago.

I can't imagine there being a long list of suitors lining up for July 1st 12:01AM when his bonus is due to pick him up. But who knows.

I would love Roy and Tanev/Zadorov/whichever D. But idk. All we know is that we're linked to everyone lol. I would have expected to there be rumours of deals already done with the Leafs.

Why do you say that? His actual salary is quite minimal so that opens the door for even the cheapest teams. The bigger hurdle is cap hit but that's not a huge barrier.

It comes down to the return IMO. Tre probably knows the market and what's being offered, but if it isn't enough then they probably won't trade him.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
So many quality D-men available in free-agency or trades. We need to trade Marner. We need the capspace. This is the time to rebuild the D. Golden opportunity.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Just less than 14 hours until the draft starts, and Tre is having a nap. If we were going to trade Marner, I was hoping it would be pre-draft, to gain some higher end picks. I was hoping if we were moving out RFA’s, it would be pre-draft for the same reason. Obtaining McGroarty.. pre-draft…

But nothing, just crickets. Common trades, I’m getting bored, and more fearful they are just going to run it back.
If Marner was close to being traded - I think there would be some smoke. There is zero.

Today is not the day.

Reactions: supermann_98

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Sucks Toronto isn't really in the market to make moves via trade, apart from shedding cap for draft picks.
Can blame management for not dealing with Marner until his NMC kicked in…. Dude is in full control. If Marner was traded we’d have more spots open and more cap space

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Matt Roy and any one of Pesce/Zadorov/Tanev, and our defense is alegitimate strength for the first time in most of my life
Yeah, the D has a good shape if Roy slots next to Mo.
Then you’re really only in a pinch for one more guy depending on Lili (between McCabe, TL and Benny)
The pressure is reduced fast.
The options are more flexible.
Tanev to partner with Mo pushing Roy to MacCabe.
Carrier or Pesce to McCabe.
Even Skjei to Liljegren- my fave plan if Lili signs for a couple years. They’d be a great two-way transition pair.
Even the third pair types like Hakanpaa or Boosh with Benny. The options are flexible.
I don’t think it’s as overwhelming a task as it seems if you get the best domino sin place quick.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Screenshot_20240628_083758_Facebook.jpg

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Curious to what the hit is going to be. With the rumoured Verhaeghe deal and now Reinhart being extended. I assume they won't be bringing back Montour.

Reactions: Duffman955

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Why do you say that? His actual salary is quite minimal so that opens the door for even the cheapest teams. The bigger hurdle is cap hit but that's not a huge barrier.

It comes down to the return IMO. Tre probably knows the market and what's being offered, but if it isn't enough then they probably won't trade him.
True. A lot of this is my pessimism as a Leafs fan lol.

But I also can't see teams jumping at the fact of paying Marner 12.5x7/8. I would imagine there's a handful of teams dumb enough to offer that. I think he should be moved for the best offer no matter what. We need a new mix of players, preferably on defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad